You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Giving up smoking

snez1

Is fucking hard, it's been 2 days and i'm chewing my arm off. Encourage me and remind me why i'm denying myself such a wonderful pleasure as tobacco please!

Take heart mate. I was on 30 odd a day for about 18 years. I went to see my GP and told him I'd tried everything, which I had - patches, lozenges, cold turkey, chewing gum. He prescribed me some Zyban. It's not NRT, it's a drug which fools the receptors in your brain into thinking you don't want any nicotine. My gp told me to smoke as normal for the first month and I did, although every time I lit one I found I just didn't want it. I went from 35 a day to 3 a day, literally overnight. Stayed on Zyban for 3 months then had lozenges for a couple of months. Sorted.

If you're really struggling I'd highly recommend it.

Good luck fella.

I stopped using Alan Carr's Easy Way, no NRT, no Zyban, just a book that uses simple methods, similar to the ones that Real Red mentions above. I was a 20 a day smoker for 10 years.

Here's a pdf version of the book if you want to read it, it's not a big book and it's quite simple to understand.

http://www.opposingdigits.com/ebooks/Easy.Way.To.Stop.Smoking.pdf

I stopped using Alan Carr's Easy Way, no NRT, no Zyban, just a book that uses simple methods, similar to the ones that Real Red mentions above. I was a 20 a day smoker for 10 years.

Here's a pdf version of the book if you want to read it, it's not a big book and it's quite simple to understand.

http://www.opposingdigits.com/ebooks/Easy.Way.To.Stop.Smoking.pdf

Exactly the way I gave up as well.

tried 4 or 5 times to give up previously and failed miserably everytime, but read his book and thought it was a breeze.

That was 3 years ago and haven't looked back since. Got fat mind, as I've put on about 1 1/2 stone, but that is better than smoking.

Stick with it snez, you won't regret it. Try to keep yourself busy and if you get a craving, do something that will take your mind of it and it will soon pass.

Good luck

Exactly the way I gave up as well.

tried 4 or 5 times to give up previously and failed miserably everytime, but read his book and thought it was a breeze.

That was 3 years ago and haven't looked back since. Got fat mind, as I've put on about 1 1/2 stone, but that is better than smoking.

Stick with it snez, you won't regret it. Try to keep yourself busy and if you get a craving, do something that will take your mind of it and it will soon pass.

Good luck

I hear you, brother. I've whacked on 2 stone since I jacked it in and I'm having a fucker of a time losing it. I don't eat any more than I used to (I probably did initially) and I don't exercise any less / more but I'm a fat cunt all the same. Need to condition myself to spending more time in the gym. Motivation thread might appear later, as in 'how the fuck to stay motivated.'

Stop being a gayer and just have a cig. You don't believe all that propaganda put out by the Stop Your Fun Brigade do you? Sex will kill you, so will eating red meat, drinking booze, and spitting in the face of nightclub bouncers. In short, everything that puts a smile on your face.

Be a man, have a cigarette. It's cool, it's hard, and it's fucking clever.

Fags are for Fags

Fag i am, if thats even english.

32 yrs and 2 days with only the nicotine in a joint to keep me aware of smokers delights. And then shit happens and all of a sudden smoke in your lungs seems like a perfectly reasonable 10min time killer.

No advice except keep your lighter safe, too many people rob them la.

P.s Rimmer, im not a goat.

i just went cold turkey after a virus and chest infection, 3 weeks on antibiotics and i was cured. easy except when out for a beer then was desperate for 1 but held firm, now over 10years as non smoker

I did exactly the same mate, and at about the same time. Do you still get the craving now and again? I do, but now it doesn't even bother me.

As for patches and gum, IMO, they just keep the craving going, let's face it if they really got rid of the craving , a couple of packs and you'd be off ciggies forever.

Real men smoke - and that, my friends, is FACT.

I don't smoke as much as I used to, because as I mellow with age, I'm not as cool or hard as I used to be. That said, I'm still pretty cool and pretty fucking hard, so I smoke on Fridays and Saturday nights only.

I frankly can't fucking wait til I hit 50 as the day I do, I'm upgrading to the ultimate in carcinogenic intake equipment, the pipe.

Real men smoke - and that, my friends, is FACT.

I don't smoke as much as I used to, because as I mellow with age, I'm not as cool or hard as I used to be. That said, I'm still pretty cool and pretty fucking hard, so I smoke on Fridays and Saturday nights only.

I frankly can't fucking wait til I hit 50 as the day I do, I'm upgrading to the ultimate in carcinogenic intake equipment, the pipe.

Nice work Noos, likewise I cannot wait for my pipe time (you heard).

The best tabs I've ever had were called Myrrh, stronger than Pink on steroids.