You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

I can't quote Mook because the forum software seems to be freaking out but I'd agree that I've never heard a lisp from Emma Stone. She's got a fairly deep voice for a woman but damn it works for me.

It could be her growler translating?

Dune part 2

Just seen this at the pictures, some thoughts (may contain spoilers)...

The film sounded and looked amazing in the cinema, the desert scenes quite beautiful in their own way and, at times, very reminiscent of Mad Max Fury Road.

The acting was really poor I thought. Little Timotei Chalomet might have lovely curly hair but he just doesn't have the gravitas or acting chops to carry a film such as this.

The love interest petered out without barely a flicker. Utterly pointless.

The death of the Baron was a huge anticlimax, as was that of his boneheaded wrestler nephew.

Will there be a 3rd installment? Do I care? Not sure.

As a spectacle Dune pt 2 was fantastic, as a coherent film and story though it was far less convincing. Really patchy af.

About 7/10 seems about right.

"Blackberry"

The rise and fall of Research In Motion.

Starts out funny, ends up sad.

A bit uneven--the last half seems rushed--but still a good story, well-acted and told, with plenty of familiar (to me) Canadian faces.

I saw a three-part version on my streaming service, but couldn't find any links--if it's longer than the movie, it might be a better choice.

The Harder They Come (1972). Tale of a country boy moving to Kingston and becoming embroiled in a life of crime. Really well made film, with a great soundtrack. 4/5

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Dune part 2

Just seen this at the pictures, some thoughts (may contain spoilers)...

The film sounded and looked amazing in the cinema, the desert scenes quite beautiful in their own way and, at times, very reminiscent of Mad Max Fury Road.

The acting was really poor I thought. Little Timotei Chalomet might have lovely curly hair but he just doesn't have the gravitas or acting chops to carry a film such as this.

The love interest petered out without barely a flicker. Utterly pointless.

The death of the Baron was a huge anticlimax, as was that of his boneheaded wrestler nephew.

Will there be a 3rd installment? Do I care? Not sure.

As a spectacle Dune pt 2 was fantastic, as a coherent film and story though it was far less convincing. Really patchy af.

About 7/10 seems about right.

They deviated from the book quite a bit towards the end and compressed the timeline too, there are actually 3 years or so from the Harkonnen attack to the end of the film. Chani has a son that dies in a sietch attack, and she understands that Paul has to take the Emperor's daughter as his wife, but that she'll be his concubine and his 'true love'. Jessica has her daughter, Alia, who is born with all the capabilities of a Bene Gesserit mother superior and is considered an abomination. Alia- barely 2 years old- kills the baron, her grandfather. The Emperor chooses Feyd as his champion, hence the fight to the death. No idea why they chose to have Chani act like a jilted spoiled brat and take off on her own, that's completely against her character- I hope they're not setting her up as a girl boss for the next film, that'd be really shit. Also, Paul is supposed to be 15 at the start of Dune, and I think about 18 by the end, so Chalomet was a pretty good choice. Certainly more so than Kyle MacLachan in the 1984 version, who was far too old.

The next one will be Dune Messiah, about a decade later, where Paul realises just how terrible the jihad he's started has become and has to fight against an alliance ranged against him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sut said:

The Harder They Come (1972). Tale of a country boy moving to Kingston and becoming embroiled in a life of crime. Really well made film, with a great soundtrack. 4/5

Quite possibly the best soundtrack of all time. 

• Upvote 1

Watched Robocop for the first time in about 30 years last night. I think it was the first time I've ever watched Murphy's execution all the way through (I used to close my eyes before is hand gets blown off.  Hey, I was 13!!). That scene is still shocking today.

I miss proper violence in movies

8/10

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

They deviated from the book quite a bit towards the end and compressed the timeline too, there are actually 3 years or so from the Harkonnen attack to the end of the film. Chani has a son that dies in a sietch attack, and she understands that Paul has to take the Emperor's daughter as his wife, but that she'll be his concubine and his 'true love'. Jessica has her daughter, Alia, who is born with all the capabilities of a Bene Gesserit mother superior and is considered an abomination. Alia- barely 2 years old- kills the baron, her grandfather. The Emperor chooses Feyd as his champion, hence the fight to the death. No idea why they chose to have Chani act like a jilted spoiled brat and take off on her own, that's completely against her character- I hope they're not setting her up as a girl boss for the next film, that'd be really shit. Also, Paul is supposed to be 15 at the start of Dune, and I think about 18 by the end, so Chalomet was a pretty good choice. Certainly more so than Kyle MacLachan in the 1984 version, who was far too old.

The next one will be Dune Messiah, about a decade later, where Paul realises just how terrible the jihad he's started has become and has to fight against an alliance ranged against him.

Also, in the book Paul dispatched with Feyd very very easily. As you said the biggest deviation was Chani sulking off when actually she totally understood the score. Irulan was set-up to have a life devoid of love.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SilverSong said:

Also, in the book Paul dispatched with Feyd very very easily. As you said the biggest deviation was Chani sulking off when actually she totally understood the score. Irulan was set-up to have a life devoid of love.

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Can we have some spoiler tags or move discussion of Dune 2 to its own thread please. Still to watch and never read the book or watched the original film.

Sorry, didn't think. The board really needs spoiler tags back, bit stupid of the developers to remove them as they're a more than useful feature.

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Sorry, didn't think. The board really needs spoiler tags back, bit stupid of the developers to remove them as they're a more than useful feature.

Yeah, them and tags need to be bought back.

• Upvote 1

Interesting article about future Dune films- massive spoiler warnings if you haven't seen or read the books, btw- https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/07/dune-movie-part-two-book-messiah

I'd be surprised if they do anything beyond Messiah. For a long time, the first book was considered unfilmable, and that applies in spades to the books beyond Messiah, which are incredibly bizarre.

Nolan's films ranked- https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/07/is-oppenheimer-christopher-nolans-finest-film-all-the-directors-movies-ranked

I'd put Prestige higher than his Batman films, it's a brilliant alt-universe film and really sucks you in. Aside from that, I was really surprised at the negativity in many of the comments. I haven't seen Tenet and don't fancy it given its reputation, but I've seen all of his other films and thoroughly enjoyed them. Interstellar and Oppenheimer are what the cinema's all about, and Inception is amazing. His Batman trilogy helped make superhero films respectable and were far more enjoyable than the Marvel production line, and Memento was superb. Bit weird to see so many people dislike his films.

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Nolan's films ranked- https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/07/is-oppenheimer-christopher-nolans-finest-film-all-the-directors-movies-ranked

I'd put Prestige higher than his Batman films, it's a brilliant alt-universe film and really sucks you in. Aside from that, I was really surprised at the negativity in many of the comments. I haven't seen Tenet and don't fancy it given its reputation, but I've seen all of his other films and thoroughly enjoyed them. Interstellar and Oppenheimer are what the cinema's all about, and Inception is amazing. His Batman trilogy helped make superhero films respectable and were far more enjoyable than the Marvel production line, and Memento was superb. Bit weird to see so many people dislike his films.

The Dark Knight is one of the greatest films of all time. Interstellar is up there and all. 

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Interesting article about future Dune films- massive spoiler warnings if you haven't seen or read the books, btw- https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/07/dune-movie-part-two-book-messiah

I'd be surprised if they do anything beyond Messiah. For a long time, the first book was considered unfilmable, and that applies in spades to the books beyond Messiah, which are incredibly bizarre.

Denis Villeneuve seemingly has no plans to do any Dune beyond Messiah, given it descends into increasingly batshit mental stories it's probably for the best that nobody does.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Denis Villeneuve seemingly has no plans to do any Dune beyond Messiah, given it descends into increasingly batshit mental stories it's probably for the best that nobody does.

Yep, they're a real slog. I just really hope the focus isn't going to be Chani for Messiah.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yep, they're a real slog. I just really hope the focus isn't going to be Chani for Messiah.

Don't think the way she turns in the book fits her character in the films and prefer the idea she's one of the few who has stayed focused on the freedom of Arrakis while the more extremist Fremen in the south are off killing billions across the galaxy.

Think it works if we get the time jump to the end of the war and he's returned to Arrakis and Chani is part of the Fremen splinter group doing it's thing.

She gets wind of the groups plan to assassinate him, is conflicted, tries to stop it, succeeds, but what happens in the book happens and that's what turns her back to him.

You can still end it as the book ends then.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I don't like them, there's something smug about his films which bugs me.

Oppenheimer the best of the bunch for me but I thought it went on an hour too long.

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't like them, there's something smug about his films which bugs me.

Oppenheimer the best of the bunch for me but I thought it went on an hour too long.

You watched The Prestige?