You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

42 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Classic night.

Butch cassidy and the sundance kid. 4/10.

Not how I remembered it, very disappointing held together by Newman and Redford. One of those films where nothing is happening and to long spent on them being chased.

Really? One of my favourites. At least a 7 imo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Tell me the last time you saw it Tony and the good bits please? 

Script is OK but only because of the stars.

Two or three years ago. I’m not going going to post details of specific scenes, in case anyone has yet to see it and wants to do so. I think Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is well directed, has good dialogue and excellent cinematography. In my view, it was, for the time, a fresh take on the western genre. It is clever, witty and gripping.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Two or three years ago. I’m not going going to post details of specific scenes, in case anyone has yet to see it and wants to do so. I think Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is well directed, has good dialogue and excellent cinematography. In my view, it was, for the time, a fresh take on the western genre. It is clever, witty and gripping.

Yea, dialogue was good and after that I struggle. Not all liking the same thing makes the world go round.

The Magnificent Seven may have been a high bar to start with for me.

• Upvote 1

Indiana Jones & Some Fucking Crap Dial Thing

If you don't want spoilers then probably best to look away now...

Anyway, just back from the pictures from watching this thing. Thoughts...

Ford, Mikkelson, Toby Jones, Banderas were all very good.

The Illinois Nazis and Shortround v 2.0 were shite.

The leading lady, "Wombat", I would gladly run that cunt through with a scimitar. She was fucking horrific. Don't know who she is, don't believe I've seen her before, but I hope the cunt's career dies because of this.

The Hollywood demasculinisation of men continues apace, and the punch at the end where she ko'd Indy, I was getting up to go and said to my mate I'd had enough. It was only my mates' protestations coupled with the fact that there were only a couple of minutes left, which made me stay.

I thought the de-aging thing worked remarkably well though, far better than in The Irishman, but some of the CGI (such as running atop the train at the start) was horrifically terrible.

The score was fantastic and some of the sentimental little throwbacks were appreciated, but I otherwise hated this film.

3/10 is bordering on generous.

• Upvote 3

Dr Strangelove

Had only ever seen clips and never watched the whole film.

Funny as fuck especially the “scientist” with the dodgy arm. 

A stellar cast including a young James Earl Jones.

Group Captain Mandrake as the urbane British officer is outstanding too. 

8/10

Kodi Seren Real Debrid 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Dr Strangelove

Had only ever seen clips and never watched the whole film.

Funny as fuck especially the “scientist” with the dodgy arm. 

A stellar cast including a young James Earl Jones.

Group Captain Mandrake as the urbane British officer is outstanding too. 

8/10

Kodi Seren Real Debrid 

The war room line is one of the best things ever caught on tape.

Wodeful from start to finish.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The war room line is one of the best things ever caught on tape.

Wodeful from start to finish.

Totally. Must’ve been quite something to watch the film when it was initially released given the climate. Two weeks before The Beatles debut on the Ed Sullivan show. 

Peter Sellars was only 50 odd when he passed away in the early 80s. 

27 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Barbie, 1/10 for Robbie.

Said I'd go with the Mrs. Was dire. Think it was trying to say something but I genuinely don't know what.

Went along to see it with my wife and her kids on Saturday.

Absolutely hated it. I understand why women and girls loved it but I never understand why so many Hollywood films have to elevate women by demeaning men.

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Went along to see it with my wife and her kids on Saturday.

Absolutely hated it. I understand why women and girls loved it but I never understand why so many Hollywood films have to elevate women by demeaning men.

Is that what it was about? I couldn't tell if it was about the patriarchy, or body image or modern young people being cunts. The woman's daughter was a miserable, horrible cunt, so I assumed that was part of the theme, young people today trying to shit on feminism just cos. 

I dunno.

20 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Indiana Jones & Some Fucking Crap Dial Thing

If you don't want spoilers then probably best to look away now...

Anyway, just back from the pictures from watching this thing. Thoughts...

Ford, Mikkelson, Toby Jones, Banderas were all very good.

The Illinois Nazis and Shortround v 2.0 were shite.

The leading lady, "Wombat", I would gladly run that cunt through with a scimitar. She was fucking horrific. Don't know who she is, don't believe I've seen her before, but I hope the cunt's career dies because of this.

The Hollywood demasculinisation of men continues apace, and the punch at the end where she ko'd Indy, I was getting up to go and said to my mate I'd had enough. It was only my mates' protestations coupled with the fact that there were only a couple of minutes left, which made me stay.

I thought the de-aging thing worked remarkably well though, far better than in The Irishman, but some of the CGI (such as running atop the train at the start) was horrifically terrible.

The score was fantastic and some of the sentimental little throwbacks were appreciated, but I otherwise hated this film.

3/10 is bordering on generous.

Yeah it's fucking shite.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Is that what it was about? I couldn't tell if it was about the patriarchy, or body image or modern young people being cunts. The woman's daughter was a miserable, horrible cunt, so I assumed that was part of the theme, young people today trying to shit on feminism just cos. 

I dunno.

It's just a lot of "men are idiots and will keep you down". There wasn't any nuance.

Or maybe I just didn't get it because I'm a thick man

On 19/03/2023 at 16:27, Carvalho Diablo said:

Girlhood

Another Celine Sciamma French language film, this time it focusses on Vic (played by the wonderful Karidja Toure), a young girl growing up in an under privileged ghetto on the outskirts of Paris.

Fantastic coming of age movie with a brilliant central performance.

Nor Sciamma's finest work but still head and shoulders above most of peers.

8.5/10 NERD

Just watched this and it was great, I'd score it similar to you overall.

But that scene of the girls singing and dancing along to Diamonds is one of the best I've ever seen. Jaw dropping, emotional.

Celine Sciamma is a genius, how she does so much with so little never ceases to amaze me.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

Just watched this and it was great, I'd score it similar to you overall.

But that scene of the girls singing and dancing along to Diamonds is one of the best I've ever seen. Jaw dropping, emotional.

Celine Sciamma is a genius, how she does so much with so little never ceases to amaze me.

Completely agree mate, that scene was just beautiful, free, joyous.

• Upvote 1

Rewatched a 1996 John Sayles film called Lone Star with Chris Cooper, Frances McDormand,Matthew McConaughey and Kris Kristofferson. When I originally watched it, I thought it was great and bought the DVD, it's still brilliant. Slow burning but great performances all through, especially Kristofferson as an evil sheriff and Cooper.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NoelM said:

Rewatched a 1996 John Sayles film called Lone Star with Chris Cooper, Frances McDormand,Matthew McConaughey and Kris Kristofferson. When I originally watched it, I thought it was great and bought the DVD, it's still brilliant. Slow burning but great performances all through, especially Kristofferson as an evil sheriff and Cooper.

I’ve not seen a bad performance from Frances McDormand.

• Upvote 1

12 angry men. 1957 original in black and white. 10/10. Big shout out to whoever put the cast together. Every character is believable, helped by a stunning script.

If ever a film was, 'they don't make them like this anymore' it's this. Well worthy of a classic film night.

• Upvote 4