You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

46 minutes ago, redinblack said:

How is this different to what we have now?

It isn't. The Murdoch-esque society also involves the wishes of Saxe-Coburgs aka Windsors too. At the very least their wishes are 'Leave us to our businesses and you look after yours and we'll be fine. Cross us and there will be consequences.'

This "years of service" thing is ridiculous. Even last night after the news they had a tribute on and apart from being in some form of girl guides around the second world war her life basically consisted of going on several long holidays to Malta, Kenya, Australia and the USA.

Meeting lots of famous people, shaking hands with them and attending ceremonies where people served her the best food and drink. Travelling on private jets and her own train to attending social events. She basically got to go on all expenses paid jollies all her life and "Loved spending time the most at Balmoral" amongst her 6 or 7 very expensive castles. 

She was just a figurehead of the country that foreign people associate with. I can't recall any benefit to the actual people of the country that she "ruled" over. Sitting on gold thrones with diamonds that cost £4m telling everyone we need to tighten our belts whilst trying to access fuel poverty funds to heat her Palace as well as taking £300m off the public to redecorate her Palace despite having billions in the bank and hiding it in offshore accounts to avoid paying tax that could have helped fund schools and hospitals.

Yes Ma'am thanks for your service. 

• Upvote 4

My serious take on this is just what the fuss is all about .  She seemed a decent woman and fulfilled her role with great dedication for over 70 years whether or not you support the monarchy or not.  At the age of 96 ,having lost her husband of three quarters of a century 2 years ago, she faded swiftly and passed away peacefully with her family around her. I see little to be sad about and certainly no reason for the embarrassing hyperbole raining down on us from all directions as if it were some bereavement competition . I suspect the vast majority have still woken up this morning worrying about finances and looking at the future with fear and trepidation . Government and media whipping up a shit-storm to cover their own massive failures is the only thing that troubles me not the peaceful passing of a 96 year old woman that I didn't know or even felt remotely attached to . The job has been filled and it will be business as usual at Buck house soon enough. The energy companies won't be taking a few weeks to mourn Maj and the bills will still be popping through the letter box . 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The Royal Family and all its hangers on and 5th cousins removed and lords and ladies and dukes and duchesses and all the vultures will be shitting themselves as this has to be the beginning of the end. I think, generally, people liked Liz and even Phillip, but Charles? Camilla? It's definitely the end of an era. And by era I mean a general acceptance of a "royal family". 

Saying that, I'm trying to imagine President Liz Truss and maybe I would rather Charlie and Camilla...

Charles isn't particularly popular but there is a huge pr machine behind William and kate

6 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

This "years of service" thing is ridiculous. Even last night after the news they had a tribute on and apart from being in some form of girl guides around the second world war her life basically consisted of going on several long holidays to Malta, Kenya, Australia and the USA.

Meeting lots of famous people, shaking hands with them and attending ceremonies where people served her the best food and drink. Travelling on private jets and her own train to attending social events. She basically got to go on all expenses paid jollies all her life and "Loved spending time the most at Balmoral" amongst her 6 or 7 very expensive castles. 

She was just a figurehead of the country that foreign people associate with. I can't recall any benefit to the actual people of the country that she "ruled" over. Sitting on gold thrones with diamonds that cost £4m telling everyone we need to tighten our belts whilst trying to access fuel poverty funds to heat her Palace as well as taking £300m off the public to redecorate her Palace despite having billions in the bank and hiding it in offshore accounts to avoid paying tax that could have helped fund schools and hospitals.

When you ask people why they support the monarchy, the best example they can come up with, is that they are some glorified madame tussords. 

Much like in politics,people blindingly accept the status quo without thinking

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

When you ask people why they support the monarchy, the best example they can come up with, is that they are some glorified madame tussords. 

Much like in politics,people blindingly accept the status quo without thinking

Absolutely. They are force fed bollocks about the danger of alternatives. Well if this is the case then you are admitting that the Monarchy has a large hand in the governments political affairs.

8 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I can't believe I'm defending her but I wouldn't have wanted her life . Travelling around the world on parade and having to meet the likes of Trump not so much fun.  Blame the people that perpetuate the structures of state and perpetuate the class system in this country not the person that found herself born into the job.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Her Indoors mum just rang to say her paper, the Daily Wail hadn't turned up.

I was greeted with scorn when I suggested the paper boy had probably collapsed under the weight of the bloody thing.

The first 32 pages of the i today were dedicated to this guff, surely most of the i readership don't have much interest? Newspapers and television channels are utterly petrified of not looking sufficiently sad. 

49 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I wonder how much taxpayers money will be spunked on all this.

I think the national mood for the funeral is going to be "show some respect" but by the time of the coronation - with gold carriages parading through a city with some of the most desperately poor areas in Europe - more people will be asking "what the fuck?"

9 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I can't believe I'm defending her but I wouldn't have wanted her life . Travelling around the world on parade and having to meet the likes of Trump not so much fun.  Blame the people that perpetuate the structures of state and perpetuate the class system in this country not the person that found herself born into the job.  

Could she not have quit if she wanted to? 

My issue with people saying "ah she was alright" is she was the head of state - she was involved in the whole kit and caboodle. People think she was some nice old granny who hung out with Paddington Bear, but I'm sure she got her hands dirty often. 

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think the national mood for the funeral is going to be "show some respect" but by the time of the coronation - with gold carriages parading through a city with some of the most desperately poor areas in Europe - more people will be asking "what the fuck?"

I think many will lap it up

Look at the weddings.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Wait until they start clearing out the homeless along the route. 

13 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Could she not have quit if she wanted to? 

My issue with people saying "ah she was alright" is she was the head of state - she was involved in the whole kit and caboodle. People think she was some nice old granny who hung out with Paddington Bear, but I'm sure she got her hands dirty often. 

Absolutely. Aren't the Monarchy one of,if not the largest landowners in the country through subsidiaries and whatnot? Let's not even go into the murder,rape and pillaging of how they got it in the first place. And if Lizzie Windsor was ever unhappy she could have donated all her wealth,racehorses included,to relieving some of London's homeless. The simple reason is that gestures like this would embarrass the government,the one who they are not supposed to hold any sway over!

• Upvote 1