You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

greatest movie moment ever...

Chris

The bit at the end of Zabriskie Point where they have various items exploding in slow motion set to a Pink Floyd instrumental. I was tripping balls on some seriously good acid at the time, and it just seemed so revelatory...

Any scene from Terry Gilliams Brazil. What a top fuckin film that is from start to finish.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The closing argument by Jake at the trial in A Time to Kill when depicting little Tanya's rape.

The echo game in House of Flying Daggers

LOTR: "Run...... you fools!"

Pretty much anything that happens in Hero, especially the time when he fights Sky

All of these are great, but the single most amazing monologue and inspirational ditty I ever heard is from Any Given Sunday - the inches speech by Tony

1. Hopper's last drag on a ciggie in True Romance.

2. Quint's tale of US sailors in the water with sharks in Jaws.

3. The pram down the stairs scene in The Untouchables.

4. "Tears in rain" from Blade Runner.

5. "Brass Balls" from Glengarry Glen Ross.

6. The heist from Heat.

7. The final slow motion shoot out in State of Grace.

8. Ed Harris discovering Sean Penn is a cop in State of Grace - the most expressive use of the word "fuck" in cinema history.

9. Virtually any line of Billy Crystal's in When Harry Met Sally.

10. The extreme close-up of Indie's face in any of the Indiana Jones films.

11. George Lucas' homage to the same in The Phantom Menace in the Obi Wan & Qui Gon vs Darth Maul fight.

12. Yoda vs Dooku in Episode 2.

t13. The discovery of each of the crime scenes in Se7en.

14. "Game over man. Game over." in Aliens.

15. Clarice in Jaime Gumb's house in Silence of the Lambs.

16. The final fight in El Dorado when John Wayne arrives hanging off the side of the wagon.

17. The Johnny B. Good scene from Back to the Future.

18. Everyone singing along to Andy Williams around the pool table in The Deer Hunter.

19. The drowning scene from The Abyss.

20. Anything from Withnail & I.

21. The mafia hit in Leon.

22. The interrogation scene in LA Confidential.

23. The sword fight in The Princess Bride.

24. The attack on the house in the woods in The 13th Warrior.

25. The theft in The Thomas Crown Affair.

26. The fight in the apartment in Paris in The Bourne Identity.

27. The steadi-cam shot in Goodfellas.

28. Roll Call by Mr. Senor Love Daddy in Do The Right Thing.

29. The chase on car and foot in Point Break.

30. I'm Spartacus.

31. The end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

32. The wash-out in Bull Durham.

33. The House of Blue Leaves from Kill Bill.

34. The claustrophia and tension of the rape scene in Pulp Fiction.

35. Ghost Dog acknowledges The RZA.

36. The jail scene in Diner.

37. The street parade in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

38. Hiltz's return to the cooler in The Great Escape.

39. The final shoot-out in King of New York.

40. The funeral scene at the end of The Vikings.

41. The dance at Grand Central Station in The Fisher King.

42. The test in The Thing.

43. "Clap your hands together" in The Magnificent Seven.

44. The beers on the roof scene in The Shawshank Redemption.

45. The dream sequences with the music in Brazil.

46. The hammer fight in Oldboy.

47. The martial arts mayhem between the Indian dude and the nutters in Brotherhood of the Wolf.

48. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away".

49. The DJ waking up the neighbourhood in La Haine.

50. "You're so money" from Swingers.

I nod to the bold and have a problem with quite few though. No. 50 makes my blood boil and Se7en is utterly overrated and spawn a billion extreme shite thrillers.

I'll go through my collection tomorrow. Betcha cant wait ;)

I nod to the bold and have a problem with quite few though. No. 50 makes my blood boil and Se7en is utterly overrated and spawn a billion extreme shite thrillers.

I'll go through my collection tomorrow. Betcha cant wait ;)

I fucking love films, me. However, my consumption of them has declined dramtically with the twin advents of babies and Sky+. We no longer go to the pictures except as a special "move heaven and earth to get a baby sitter for this movie" treat, and we only watch the box between about 8pm and 10pm, catching up on the various incarnations of the current golden age of US drama that we've plussed from some unholy hour the night before (ie, after 10pm).

On Se7en, I just think it is so shockingly imaginative. The twist is ace. Also the whole look of the film is quite unique and it is extremely atmospheric. Swingers is great because it's about a neurotic bloke who's hung up on a girl and it reminds me of a few people.

The first Bullet-time scene in The Matrix.

The car chase in the Matrix Reloaded.

The point in Fight club when you realise that they are both the same person. Also the scene where he beats himself up in his boss' office.

The "I pardon you" scene in Schindler's list. (To be fair just about every scene in the film is amazing).

The first Bullet-time scene in The Matrix.

The car chase in the Matrix Reloaded.

The point in Fight club when you realise that they are both the same person. Also the scene where he beats himself up in his boss' office.

The "I pardon you" scene in Schindler's list. (To be fair just about every scene in the film is amazing).

What do you mean, "...they are both the same person"?

Tre reacting after Ricky's been killed in Boys N the Hood

Eastwoods words of Life/word of Death speech to the Chief in Josey Wales

Jokers reaction when yer man blows his brains out in Metal jacket

Da Phrang escaping the camp and falling into a paddy field of skelatons and body parts in Killing Fields

Bravehearts face when he realises that the knight de mornay

Penns reaction when he hears that the killers were caught and his mate innocent in Mystic River

True Romance when Hopper makes the Guinea speach and smokes his cig

Kaiser soze being revealed at the end of Usual Suspects

John Wayne in the searchers ,when he decides to kill his sister rather than let her live

Love it.

Also those Cato-scenes when he comes back to his appartment.

I don't have any favourite scenes, but I just remembered "Once we were warriors". Love the scene where Jake is saying something like "I'm a lovable chap, Jake the Muss" after twatting the man who rapet his daughter half to death. I might have the timeline wrong but not the line. Great movie that.

Cook the man some fucking eggs!

Awesome movie.

My favourites have to include large swathes of 2001 and Strangelove, and the 'Gutterballs' hallucination from 'Big Lebowski'. In fact, come to think of it , most of that movie, especially the scenes where John Goodman is being an arsehole, and of course 'Nobody fucks with the Jesus'

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - two sequences from the end. The first is when Tuco realises he's found the cemetery and runs around looking for Arch Stanton's grave, and the second of course is the shootout. The combination of the music and camerawork in both sequences is genius, every time I watch the film they thrill me just as much as the first time I saw it.

Pretty much anything from the Blues Brothers, but particularly the scence where Jake and Elwood go to see the mother superior from their old orphanage. She hits them with a ruler when they swear, which causes more swearing, more hitting etc. Oh, and the car chase through the shopping mall!

I love the bit in the original Planet Of The Apes film, where Charlton Heston stumbles upon the ruins of the Statue Of Liberty, very powerful.

I also love the original Home Alone from when Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern break into the house.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark and the snakes left me feeling both terrified and scared as a kid.

Gladiator and the "unleashing of hell" in Germainia.

Steve McQueen trying to escape on the bike in The Great Escape.

Trading Places, pretty much the whole film, Eddie Murphy's best ever role.