You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso Appreciation Society Starts Here.

Nick Leeson

Probably one of the finest first seasons by a foreign player in the premiership from our Xabi. One of the greatest passers of the ball in the game at the minute and also seemingly one of the most down to earth players around. I have to admit though, I wasn't truly sold on him last year as I thought for his position he had a lot of things missing such as aggression and work rate.

His passing couldn't be questioned last year but the start of this season looked like he might have been a one season wonder as his early season form was shite - to be honest.

Ecstatic to say though that not only has he rediscovered his passing game but the parts of his game that I thought he was missing seem to have developed really well. He seems to be covering a lot more ground now than he was last year, works hard for the team and doesn't shy away from a tackle. The last 8 games or so I've been majorly impressed by the way he's played even when the team hasn't been doing too well.

Here's to even more progression and development of what has to be one of the brightest talents in the game right now and arguably our best signing of the last 10 years (not hard really seeing as nearly of our best players for a long while now have come through the ranks) at least.

Probably one of the finest first seasons by a foreign player in the premiership from our Xabi. One of the greatest passers of the ball in the game at the minute and also seemingly one of the most down to earth players around. I have to admit though, I wasn't truly sold on him last year as I thought for his position he had a lot of things missing such as aggression and work rate.

His passing couldn't be questioned last year but the start of this season looked like he might have been a one season wonder as his early season form was shite - to be honest.

Ecstatic to say though that not only has he rediscovered his passing game but the parts of his game that I thought he was missing seem to have developed really well. He seems to be covering a lot more ground now than he was last year, works hard for the team and doesn't shy away from a tackle. The last 8 games or so I've been majorly impressed by the way he's played even when the team hasn't been doing too well.

Here's to even more progression and development of what has to be one of the brightest talents in the game right now and arguably our best signing of the last 10 years (not hard really seeing as nearly of our best players for a long while now have come through the ranks) at least.

Wise words, all.

The Spanish midfielder brushed aside the theory that Liverpool's imports were not up to the job.

He said: "You have to be calm. We are a big club and if you have a bad performance then you know you will be criticised.

"It is best to concentrate on improving and not to bother with what is written about you. But we all care. We all feel the disappointment, we all wear the shirt and know what that means.

"That is why we are all committed to the club and trying to do things as well as possible and to climb the table."

He added: "It is my second season here but I really feel the pride of wearing a Liverpool shirt, I am fully committed to the club.

"Always there is something to prove. When situations like this arise you always have to show you are a good team, you understand that people will criticise and you accept it.

"So now after this win everyone is feeling better and we are aiming to win on Tuesday in the Champions League, and that will be two very important victories and will hopefully change peoples' opinion about us."

dont think it was any coincidence that Alonso looks back to his best when Gerrard moves to the right. Im not knocking Stevie but the team looked more balanced with him on the right because imho and ive said it on previous posts i think he could do a great job out there.

Guest lfcwonderboy

well last season i heared who was coming and dident really think mucth of him as i had never seem him play before but now he just cant help to impress me with all his passes and tackles super player hes heading to become a legend.

id actually put Xabi down as our best signing in the last 10 years, and thats by a country mile

love the guy, his tackling is premiershipesque latley, he crunched, mullins i think yesterday, and i remember he demolished Nedved over in turin that shook the Czech genius up all game

our best player again yesterday, i wonder what price the basque master would demand now?

quality player, love the guy, and he really seems to believe in the liverpool Way, he knows how proud, we are all as fans,and he seems to understand and embrace it on the pitch, not many foreigners can claim to wear their adopted shirt with such pride, but i think its safe to say, Xabi does!!!

I told the missus last year we were naming our first born Xabi. I love him especially since he seems to hate Chelsea as much as us. SKEET sign me up !

His full first name is Xabier (just to make sure you get the spelling right ;)).

As for the original Xabi, there's not enough superlatives to describe him, so I won't even bother trying.

His full first name is Xabier (just to make sure you get the spelling right ;)).

As for the original Xabi, there's not enough superlatives to describe him, so I won't even bother trying.

Cheers for that. After Carra he is the player I have the most respect for and he plays and carries himself with class and dignity. Legend in the making.

His form is getting better as the season goes on, that's for sure. He's nearly back to the standard of his best form from last season now, and he even seems to have added a more combative element to his game. The only downside is that he never seems to play well alongside Gerrard.