You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ruben Amorim

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Yep and when you're narrowing it down towards the end it'll be the smaller things that take on greater importance, as he said like the tactical familiarity/preference and background checks while the larger group's will be excluded based more heavily on data.

It'll be more Big group > medium sized group > Small Group > Final Few more than it would specifics like Alonso > Amorim > Slot > someone else as it's being portrayed elsewhere.

Virg and the other Dutch lads knowing Slot assistant from the national team, and potentially having good things to say might help his cause

21 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Yes let's compare Klopp taking over a midtable Bundesliga 2 club in Mainz sitting in the relegation zone, a side who'd never been in the Bundesliga to Gerrard taking over Villa. A side he had well on its way to relegation with 8pts from 11 games to a side Emery got to 7th with 53pts from 27 games with the same players. But you know all this and are either completely delusional or on a wind up

giphy (26).gif

I'm actually not arsed now, quite looking forward to being shit actually, taking joy from small moments game to game rather than having an unrealistic trophy expectation to find joy.  It's not even joy at that point, it's relief. 

I'm looking forward to some big changes in players, I'm so devoid of excitement looking at our squad.  It's criminal really.  Gravenberch, Gakpo, Szoboszlai, Endo, Nunez, Jota, Elliott, Jones, Salah, Tsimikas, I'm falling asleep just thinking about them. 

It doesn't .after who comes in, they've been lobbed a hand grenade. Maybe Slot is a controlled explosion, a cheap and expendable fall-guy to oversee a year of churn.  

This summer he loses experienced dressing figures in Thiago, Matip and Adrian.  We possibly sell Salah.

Next summer we lose Van Dijk and Trent on frees. 

We're also down to the final year for Robbie and Konate, we may sell. 

By all means, paint me a brighter picture.  

• Upvote 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cnkewd1z79xo

Sporting Lisbon manager Ruben Amorim has apologised for holding talks with West Ham, saying it was a "mistake".

The Portuguese met with the Hammers in London in April to hold talks about succeeding David Moyes at the London Stadium.

Amorim says he informed Sporting about the talks and that there was no "secrecy" involved.

However, he added it was "disrespectful" to speak to another club.

"What is important to say is that it was obviously a mistake," Amorim told Portuguese media in a news conference.

"The trip was a mistake, the timing was completely misjudged, which I did not see at the time. It was misjudged."

Amorim guided Sporting to their first league title in 19 years during his first full season in charge in 2022.

Sporting are on course to win the title again this season, with the team seven points clear of Benfica with four matches remaining.

Amorim, who held talks with Chelsea in 2022 over replacing Thomas Tuchel, said he must "live with" his decision to meet with West Ham and he hopes the Sporting supporters forgive him.

"I gave the players an explanation. I also gave an explanation to the staff as I should have," said Amorim.

"But now it is about continuing forward, clearly aside from all that, publicly I ask for forgiveness from the Sportinguistas [Sporting fans]. I apologise to the staff, and also I apologise first and foremost publicly to my players for the mistake."

Moyes joined West Ham in December 2019 for his second stint in east London and ended the club's 43-year wait for a trophy with a Europa Conference League victory in 2023.

The Scot is the seventh-longest serving manager across England's top four divisions.

Moyes' contract expires at the end of the season, when the club will evaluate his position.

Reasonably interesting article from Ogden on him from earlier today…

https://x.com/markogden_/status/1784930070496178557?s=46&t=6Jyy6bBsb9DEdOzs-Rh38Q

…sounds like he’s torpedoed his own chances of us and maybe a few other clubs. 

Wouldn’t deviate from 3-4-3, wanted money buy players to make 3-4-3 work, wanted higher wages than Slot, higher but put clause than Slot. 

No doubt this will be turned into another FSG penny pinching story, really it makes sense to try & keep some sort of continuity going, employ a manger who can work with the players he has and hope to build on existing strengths, rather than giving somebody time and money with no guarantee it’ll work (and then the next manager has the same issues going to a back 4 etc).

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

https://x.com/markogden_/status/1784930070496178557?s=46&t=6Jyy6bBsb9DEdOzs-Rh38Q

Wouldn’t deviate from 3-4-3, wanted money buy players to make 3-4-3 work, wanted higher wages than Slot, higher but put clause than Slot. 

No doubt this will be turned into another FSG penny pinching story, really it makes sense to try & keep some sort of continuity going, employ a manger who can work with the players he has and hope to build on existing strengths, rather than giving somebody time and money with no guarantee it’ll work (and then the next manager has the same issues going to a back 4 etc).

Fully agree with this. Isn’t this what we’ve always been told that the benefit of having a sporting director was to ensure a seamless continuity with the next man in. Used to burn my head out the amount of 5 year plans we’d have to endure.  

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

Fully agree with this. Isn’t this what we’ve always been told the the benefit of having a sporting director was to ensure a seamless continuity with the next man in. 

This is the one. 

The point of having this set up is everyone is replaceable cog in the machine. You have a style set from the top, small adaptions of 433 to 4231 etc are fine especially if the style is very similar. What you don't do is rip that upto start from scratch again,buying new players to fit a different system and unbalance a squad. Constant new managers and new plans are why the mancs are where they are

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

This is the one. 

The point of having this set up is everyone is replaceable cog in the machine. You have a style set from the top, small adaptions of 433 to 4231 etc are fine especially if the style is very similar. What you don't do is rip that upto start from scratch again,buying new players to fit a different system and unbalance a squad. Constant new managers and new plans are why the mancs are where they are

Let’s hope we can stick with it this time. Will never cease to amaze me how we stopped fucking around with expensive gambles to became the envy of our peers only to rip it all up and go back to being stupid again. 

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Only interesting if you completely discount the fact Ogden is a massive United fan and knows fuck all about what’s going on there. 

He knows even less than fuck all about what’s going on here. 

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Only interesting if you completely discount the fact Ogden is a massive United fan and knows fuck all about what’s going on there. 

I don't buy into any of this "it's his system" bullshit. I don't believe any manager who thinks he can operate at the top level only believes in one system and even if he did, he would say it to when trying to get a job.

And I heared something off somewhere else today, maybe sky, where they were saying "but they play 433 right through the academy, why would they change". It would be that type of thinking that would assume 433 will be the formation forever. It's all fucking nonsense. Football evolves and sometimes you make bigger steps than others and it can come with a change of manager. I think the press to make noise just make more out of all this stuff than there really is. We've picked slot for a whole bunch of reasons and the press will know none of them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't buy into any of this "it's his system" bullshit. I don't believe any manager who thinks he can operate at the top level only believes in one system and even if he did, he would say it to when trying to get a job.

And I heared something off somewhere else today, maybe sky, where they were saying "but they play 433 right through the academy, why would they change". It would be that type of thinking that would assume 433 will be the formation forever. It's all fucking nonsense. Football evolves and sometimes you make bigger steps than others and it can come with a change of manager. I think the press to make noise just make more out of all this stuff than there really is. We've picked slot for a whole bunch of reasons and the press will know none of them. 

It was Ogden repeating the bullshit salary claims that confirms he knows fuck all. 

Even United fans take the piss out of him for knowing jackshit. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Red74 said:

Let’s hope we can stick with it this time. Will never cease to amaze me how we stopped fucking around with expensive gambles to became the envy of our peers only to rip it all up and go back to being stupid again. 

To be fair it seems pretty clear that it was either rip it all up or lose Klopp a few seasons back.

So in the end, probably the best thing to do was to allow Klopp to rip it all up, stick with him for a few seasons and then reassemble most of the key players now that he's leaving.

9 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

It was Ogden repeating the bullshit salary claims that confirms he knows fuck all. 

Even United fans take the piss out of him for knowing jackshit. 

Plenty of others have said it too. I was told that he wanted the same wages as Klopp and he had Pini Zahavi doing his negotiating, so we told him to fuck off. Next thing he was on a plane to talk to West Ham, which was an attempt to call our bluff. When we moved ahead with Slot instead he went back to Lisbon, tail between his legs and subsequently apologised.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dave u said:

Plenty of others have said it too. I was told that he wanted the same wages as Klopp and he had Pini Zahavi doing his negotiating, so we told him to fuck off. Next thing he was on a plane to talk to West Ham, which was an attempt to call our bluff. When we moved ahead with Slot instead he went back to Lisbon, tail between his legs and subsequently apologised.

It shows how little he knows about us if he thought pulling a stunt like that would work!

Portuguese Brendan Rodgers!

13 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Insightful. Thanks.