You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Brentford 1 Liverpool 4 - Match Reaction

A big win that looks to have come at something of a cost. The Reds made a tricky fixture look easy but lost three players to injury and at least one of them looks to be very serious, but Salah was back with a goal and we're still top of the league.

Chris Smith is joined by Ian Brown and TLW Editor Dave Usher to pick the bones out of an eventful game down in West London in which Nunez showed his finishing prowess, Salah returned in style, Cody bagged himself a goal and Macca chipped in with a lovely strike.

View full article

• Upvote 7

• dave u pinned this topic

On the Jota assist for Nunez:

1) He looks before the header, he see’s it.

2) He’s the only one who would.

3) Salah, Nunez and Diaz are all trying to knocking it on their path and running in on goal.

I can actually see Salah and Diaz angling their bodies at a ridiculous pace.

Watched it loads of times now and Jota doesn't look. He just knows. He might look when he first starts running, but he doesn't when the ball is in the air. He just knows that Darwin's going to be running and he probably gets a shout to flick it it on.

It's defo a top three assist of the season for me, just absolute quality.

He does then run offside though so thank fuck Darwin didn't decide to give him a tap in because that would have been brutal. The thought of it is giving Markovic and Sterling away at Arsenal flashbacks.

Shame on you guys for not spending the last 25 minutes talking about Van Dijk.

He stepped out a bit early for the goal, but other than that it was imperious stuff.

I always scoffed and sneered when people say he’s better than Sami and Hansen, but yesterday was one of those performances.

A 32 year old CB to be this dominant is remarkable; you watch him and it looks like he  was concocted in a lab to play CB in English football. 

Unbeatable in the air, marshalling the defence through pressure, instructing them under the cauth and spraying long-range passes/ punts into goal scoring areas.

This guy is the most complete defender in the history of football.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Shame on you guys for not spending the last 25 minutes talking about Van Dijk.

He stepped out a bit early for the goal, but other than that it was imperious stuff.

I always scoffed and sneered when people say he’s better than Sami and Hansen, but yesterday was one of those performances.

A 32 year old CB to be this dominant is remarkable; you watch him and it looks like he  was concocted in a lab to play CB in English football. 

Unbeatable in the air, marshalling the defence through pressure, instructing them under the cauth and spraying long-range passes/ punts into goal scoring areas.

This guy is the most complete defender in the history of football.

I know he's always used his pace when faced with a one on one, but his reading of the game is usually superb, and I think, if he stays injury free, he can go on for a good coiple of years at this level. 

Reminds me of  Sami or Thiago Silva, always in the right place, right time. It's not all about speed 

Good stuff as usual.

Regarding the Jota "mutual holding" penalty incident, it's true that the officials generally wouldn't give that. In fact, I dont recall them giving that type of penalty all season except to one team - Man City, in their derby at Old Trafford no less. With the game still finely balanced at 0-0, they got the penalty call. And yesterday against Chelsea, they were looking for something similar again.

7 hours ago, Sweeney287 said:

I know he's always used his pace when faced with a one on one, but his reading of the game is usually superb, and I think, if he stays injury free, he can go on for a good coiple of years at this level. 

Reminds me of  Sami or Thiago Silva, always in the right place, right time. It's not all about speed 

They absolutely bombarded our box and Van Dijk’s positioning, clearing and bring the defence out was all exceptional.

After the injury, he’s not the freak athlete he used to be, but he has adapted and is the most assured CB in the world today. 

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Bit of context on that 3rd choice thing. It was said in terms of people who you’d actually want playing that position at the moment. 

You don’t need to live in fear of Paul.

We won’t let him hurt you, anymore.

• Haha 1

Absolutely loved whoever it was when Dave was talking about Harvey not being fast, he just looks like he is as his little legs are going like the clappers and you can hear one of you doing the motion with their feet tapping the floor under their desk. Proper laughed out loud at that. 

Was gutted there was no talk about Jenas taking the piss out of Richardson in the commentary, was looking forward to that bit all the way through the podcast. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Absolutely loved whoever it was when Dave was talking about Harvey not being fast, he just looks like he is as his little legs are going like the clappers and you can hear one of you doing the motion with their feet tapping the floor under their desk. Proper laughed out loud at that. 

Was gutted there was no talk about Jenas taking the piss out of Richardson in the commentary, was looking forward to that bit all the way through the podcast. 

What was that? I’ve got good at tuning out the commentary most of the time. 

11 hours ago, Supremolad said:

I dont recall them giving that type of penalty all season except to one team - Man City, in their derby at Old Trafford no less.

Michael Oliver was the VAR on that. The week before he reffed City v Arsenal and didn't send Kovacic off. A week before that he was in the middle east being paid for a side gig by City's chairman.

9 minutes ago, dave u said:

Michael Oliver was the VAR on that. The week before he reffed City v Arsenal and didn't send Kovacic off. A week before that he was in the middle east being paid for a side gig by City's chairman.

I still believe one of the biggest scandals of the season is the fact that premier league officials were going to the UAE and Saudi Arabia to officiate games. It's an incredible conflict of interest. 

There really should have been an uproar by the other 18 PL clubs (and the mainstream media) to ask the PGMOL how long it had been going on. More importantly, is it still going on and are they keeping it quiet again like they originally did until it got exposed?

• Upvote 1

On 18/02/2024 at 11:24, Kevin D said:

Oh shit, the Trent mafia are no longer a unified front.

@The Guest will be wanking himself silly hearing that Trent is 3rd choice RB, even in the most partial view.

I think it’s the confirmation the Trent “Overton Window” has finally moved.  Genuinely gutted Paul wasn’t on though just to hear the steam come out of his ears at the suggestion.

2 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I still believe one of the biggest scandals of the season is the fact that premier league officials were going to the UAE and Saudi Arabia to officiate games. It's an incredible conflict of interest. 

There really should have been an uproar by the other 19 PL clubs (and the mainstream media) to ask the PGMOL how long it had been going on. More importantly, is it still going on and are they keeping it quiet again like they originally did until it got exposed?

yeah it's mad how nobody seemed arsed. I don't get it at all.

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

yeah it's mad how nobody seemed arsed. I don't get it at all.

You’d have thought that one or two journalists or commentators might have at least registered some concern. 

• Upvote 1

Also, how shameful were Brentford in fouling and play acting? Absolutely embarrassing. 

Finally, we just look a better balanced team with Bradley at right back. It's astonishing. I don't know if it's because he's really good (which he is) or Trent had just given up defending properly. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Also, how shameful were Brentford in fouling and play acting? Absolutely embarrassing. 

Finally, we just look a better balanced team with Bradley at right back. It's astonishing. I don't know if it's because he's really good (which he is) or Trent had just given up defending properly. 

Especially when Salah has been out it gave us natural width on the right. Jota didn't seem comfortable on the right when Trent played there lately, but was able to float around effectively when Bradley was bombing up and down the line. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic