You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Three clubs keen on signing Kelleher

TLW

Tottenham are the latest club to indicate an interest in signing Caoimhin Kelleher in the summer.

The Irish Independent report that the North London club have joined Brighton and Brentford who have identified the Liverpool reserve keeper as a key part of their summer transfer business.

All three clubs face big decision to make regarding their current No 1 keepers.

There is constant discussion over the future of Hugo Lloris and while the current club captain has been a fine servant in his decade with the club, at 36 the main query is whether it is time to move on and look for someone younger in the role.

Brighton have switched goalkeepers from Robert Sanchez to Jason Steele in recent months and while the latter has held his end of the bargain pretty well (barring the implosion against Everton), there is a school of thought that Roberto De Zerbi may want to bring his own goalkeeper in after inheriting the duo on his arrival.

Meanwhile the club future of David Raya is also somewhat unknown with Brentford bracing for some offers for the Spanish international come the summer after the 27 year-old has been one of the most impressive keepers in the division this season.

It doesn’t need to be stated how highly everyone associated with Liverpool rates Kelleher.

image.png

Being a back-up keeper has to be one of the most thankless roles in the game, especially when you are behind arguably the finest gloveman in World Football today in Alisson.

But the Irishman has been the definition of a true professional.

Whenever asked the question, he has stated his aspirations to be a number one but also is incredibly grateful for opportunities he has been given and getting to train on a daily basis with the big Brazilian will be worth its weight in gold.

And when he has earned the opportunity to play, Kelleher has produced fine performances with Jurgen Klopp going as far to say that he is the best No 2 goalkeeper in the world.

image.png

It is not just on the club front that Kelleher wants to establish himself but also for his country with Southampton’s Gavin Bazunu currently in possession of the No 1 jersey.

The club are aware of Kelleher’s desire for regular first team Football and while they will be sad to see the 24 year-old depart, he will do so with their best wishes and firm in the knowledge that whoever signs him will get someone who has a massive upside and is not phased by any situation or individual.

It is believed that the club will accept a bid in the region of £20 million.

View full article

I'll be sorry to see him leave but a talent like him should be playing every week.

I agree with Bobby though with regard to a top 4 rival and also Lee about a buy back clause.

This lad has the potential to be world class imo. I have never felt more comfortable with a goalie covering our number 1, he's that good.

Good luck to him and I hope to see him back between the sticks for us when Ali finally leaves.

Just now, Harry's Lad said:

I'll be sorry to see him leave but a talent like him should be playing every week.

I agree with Bobby though with regard to a top 4 rival and also Lee about a buy back clause.

This lad has the potential to be world class imo. I have never felt more comfortable with a goalie covering our number 1, he's that good.

Good luck to him and I hope to see him back between the sticks for us when Ali finally leaves.

Maybe he is so good because he feels comfortable here at our club as a back up? He looks top class but could it be because he likes it so much? Could he do a Clough at Forest where when they play for another club they turn to dogshit?

I wish him well regardless and hope we improve on Adrian as back up,quickly!

20 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Maybe he is so good because he feels comfortable here at our club as a back up? He looks top class but could it be because he likes it so much? Could he do a Clough at Forest where when they play for another club they turn to dogshit?

I wish him well regardless and hope we improve on Adrian as back up,quickly!

He's calmness personified mate but I take your point, plus playing behind peak Virg would instill confidence

It looks like we'll find out soon enough.

54 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

£20m seems a bit on the low side in today’s market?

Definitely a buy back clause, just in case.

Has there been many back up keepers for 20 million plus though (who haven't lost there place following a big transfer in)?

Bazunu had 70 plus appearences in the lower leagues and went from City to Southampton for 12m, Kelleher must have 30(ish) appearances tops.