You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nunez and Gakpo

johnsusername

Let's not start biting pillows just yet.

Both young and talented players in their first few months in English football and bought for the future.

Both bought with a longer term plan in mind.

I think it's now accepted that this is a transition season at best, but they aren't shit, they've just been introduced into a malfunctioning system where the Midfield behind is all over the place.

It's not ideal obviously, but hopefully this season is short term hardship for longer term gain.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

What does Gakpo actually do?? Haven't seen him doing anything of note at all. 

Nunez would have been great to have when we were great. 

He's literally doing all he's ever done.  You didn't even need to watch him much to see what he'd offer. Lijnders should be sacked for this alone.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

They're clearly underperforming but why are these 2 getting pelters when Mo on £350k a week seems to have downed tools?

Mo has showcased unbelievable high performance and consistency through out his time with us and has been absolutely instrumental in all our success and despite having a terrible season by his standards he has still managed to score 17 goals in a fucking trainwreck of a team.

• Upvote 2

The issue is that we haven't replaced what Mane and Wijnaldum brought to the team, which was energy, work ethic, tracking back and the ability to keep hold of the ball.

Currently, our full backs are totally exposed because they haven;t had that much defending to do over the last few seasons.

I'm hoping and there's no reason to suggest otherwise, that Klopp knows what he's doing, granted, Carts have been put before Horses and we seem to have loaded up on forwards, but come the summer, with the addition of 2 or 3 midfielders who fit the scheme, then we will be in a much better place.

Granted, it seems madness NOW to go balls deep for Nunez after we got fucked off by Tchouameni, but we get the equivalent player, plus another in the Summer, then we are back on plan.

Of course, that is dependent on the owners actually stumping up the funds, but with Chamberlain and Keita going, plus a couple of others, there should be room for MF signings that the manager wants.

I'm not even playing Devils Advocate for the owners here as I think they are basic at best, but we've got about 9 or 10 MFers (in name only) on the books, shed some of those and we might get who the manager wants.

IF we don't get who the manager wants for MF in the summer, then that's a different argument entirely, but as of now, the boss has been able to sign players he wanted.

Mind he also wanted Keita and Chamberlain.

I wasn't exactly enamoured with the idea of giving Henderson a new 4 year deal and I'm not in favour of extending Firmino, but given the recent track record of competing on all fronts, let;s not piss our pants yet.

It's been obvious for weeks and months now that we have an ageing and injury prone squad and there is an argument that money COULD have been spent more wisely, but Klopp has delivered season on season so let's not write off new, young players as being shit.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

The issue is that we haven't replaced what Mane and Wijnaldum brought to the team, which was energy, work ethic, tracking back and the ability to keep hold of the ball.

IF we don't get who the manager wants for MF in the summer, then that's a different argument entirely, but as of now, the boss has been able to sign players he wanted.

They were also fiercely competitive and took every challenge personally - our left side was frightening defensively/off the ball.

The second part - that's the question now - has our method of identifying players and who ultimately pulls the trigger on the transfer changed?

If the answer is yes and it is now down to Klopp, for whatever reason, that is not something he has had success at.

If most of the rest of the team are working well and Gakpo and Nunez with more space and service are still having so many issues then I'll be bothered, at the moment though I'm not overly focusing on them. It's been frustrating watching some of the chances they've missed but with so many other players having problems now as well it's not helping things.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They were also fiercely competitive and took every challenge personally - our left side was frightening defensively/off the ball.

The second part - that's the question now - has our method of identifying players and who ultimately pulls the trigger on the transfer changed?

If the answer is yes and it is now down to Klopp, for whatever reason, that is not something he has had success at.

yes to the first part Comrade, spot on and they need replacing with players of similar mentality.

BUT, all the evidence suggests that both Mane and Wijnaldum were Klopp signings as he tried to get both for Dortmund.

As for part 2 I really don't know, the evidence would suggest that Edwards was grand at moving players on at a premium, BUT, the stark reality is that nobody wanted Keita or Chamberlain last summer or in this last window, even at knockdown or giveaway prices.

That clearly had a real impact on transfer decisions.

Had those two gone off the wage bill, then the likelihood is that a new Midfielder would've come in.

Plus, nobody could have predicted the regression of Fabinho who now looks like he's retired and that Jones would be out with Hornet stings to his arsehole and general maladies not know to medical science.

In an ideal world, Gerrard would've still been Villa manager and had more money to spend and taken Jones and Chamberlain off us, but our luck, which we have ridden for years has run out.

We have outed no marks for good money and relied on 94th minute Matip headed winners for a 2 seasons or more and that luck has simply run out.

We are where we are, either by bad luck or bad judgment. 

• Upvote 1

I keep seeing that we need to give them time to settle in and of course that’s right. However, from the minutes spent on the pitch, there is absolutely nothing that can convince you Gakpo will come good here. You’ve got to show some semblance of the talent that got you to where you are but I’ve seen nothing to make me think he’s even a footballer. Nunez has got some ceiling but fuck me. He was just as bad in the World Cup and he was playing with his mates.

2 absolute disastrous signings that have set us back 2 years. If offers came in the summer I’d bite their hands off and try and rebuild again. 

• Upvote 1