You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nunez and Gakpo

johnsusername

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I think people are kidding themselves. You can tell great forwards straight away.
Yeah, Suarez missed a lot of chances in his first season, but you could tell he was amazing.

Torres, brilliant straight away.

Mane, immediately our best attacker

Mo, 44 goals in his first season

These two might improve a bit, but great players they will never be. 

So, they haven't yet shown that they're as good as our very greatest players of the last 20 years, therefore they're shite?

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

So, they haven't yet shown that they're as good as our very greatest players of the last 20 years, therefore they're shite?

Jose appears to be saying "great players they will never be", which I don't think necessarily means they're shite.

16 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Jose appears to be saying "great players they will never be", which I don't think necessarily means they're shite.

Thanks Skaro, yes that’s it. Great players you can just tell. We all hope Nunez and Gakpo will come good, and perhaps they will, but I think we should be able to tell.

Maybe we have been spoiled, but if we want to be a great team and win things we are going to need great players.

9 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

If we bought Nunez and added him to our PL winning team or either CL finalist team, he would be fucking soaring. It

If we'd have added him to the PL winning team he'd have completely fucked up the system because he plays nothing like the forwards we had at that time, more specifically he plays nothing like the forward that tied that system together.

People have to get out of this mindset that a Striker is a Striker and a winger is a winger and just replacing a player who shares a vague description with another player means they're instantly interchangeable.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think it's the opposite. Gakpo is someone that if you'd put him in a team with a good tactical base, he would do exactly the job you'd want, but he's not gonna beat a defender and hit it in the top corner. 

In contrast, Nunez is someone who could make something happen out of a random hoof towards him but you'd question if you could ever build a top side around him if he's your 9. Currently, he does too much dumb stuff and he's too erratic. And he's a player that could eventually cost close to 100m with add ons, he's not just a substitute, he has to be a key player. 

But anyway, the point isn't really about their quality, it's that we haven't seen our attack be coherent consistently with them as a part of it. 

Gakpo can be a more productive, quicker Dirk Kuyt, once he's in a functioning team. Another dependable Jota type role player.

Nunez will score 4 volleys from 30 yards in one game then fail to hit the target in the next 4 games but people will say he's scored 4 goals in 5 games so he's brilliant. He's far too erratic and I'm not sure how much they'll be able to level that out so he might stay a boom or bust player.

Far bigger issues than both of these lads, but Darwin's shit finishing is actively pissing me off. And he's even hiding behind that "he's Uruguayan like Suarez who couldn't finish in his first season!" nonsense. As if that's supposed to mean anything.

That chance at 2-0 yesterday which he just spaffs at the keeper with zero finesse (yet again) or composure or even a little look up is as big an error as Matip's. Happens all the time. 

I like him, I'm rooting for him, and still think the likelihood of him being a big player for us is greater than not, but come on...

Gakpo, so far has shown us a few things: namely that he's not quick, he isn't particularly skillful, or physical and doesn't pose defenders any problems when we don't have the ball.

I think he's probably an intelligent, good footballer who, in a different moment would be showing us much more. I'm just not sure he's our type of player. Which begs the question about why he was signed?

For me though, the bigger issue is we have precisely three players who look good enough to be starting games at the moment. Ali, Konate and (at a stretch) Robbo. Everyone else (the kid Bajcetic aside) has no business in the starting XI, in comparison to what we're used to. They've all just fallen off a cliff and are playing in a broken system bereft of any identity. 

Bad times, man. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Denny Crane said:

I think people were spoiled at how effortlessly Mane and Salah flourished and have forgotten most attacking signings are more of a difficult task. 

Then there is this perception about what a Klopp player is but it seems people just point out what they want from a player. 

Plenty of whining about both Mane and Salah on here when they missed a few chances in their opening months with us.

Come next season, when everyone is 'fit' and has had a Klopp boot camp, we will have front 3 options of Diaz, Nunez, Jota, Gakpo, Salah and Elliott.

I really can't see the merit in giving Firmino a new contract of any more than a year, which I doubt he'd want.

From what I've seen of Fabio Cravalho, not only does he need a loan to get regular playing time, but he's best suited to the Firmino role in the future, dropping off from the number 9 position to link up play. He's not a wide forward.

IF we were to buy another forward and given our Midfield situation, money could be better spent elsewhere, then it should be another option for the right hand side to give Mo either a rest and back up, or competition.

To my mind, Elliott is never a Midfielder and is best used on the right of the front 3, so all things considered, next season we are Ok for the front 3 postions when you don't factor in the curse of injuries.

Ideally I'd like another dedicated right forward, but we need at least 2 midfielders, if not three and a centre half before we spend on forwards.

• Upvote 1

We've had the perfect balance in our front three of Salah, Mane and Firmino so whoever came in next was always going to be an incredibly hard act to follow.

These two arrived off the back of outstanding seasons in Portugal and The Netherlands but are clearly still finding the way in our system and this league. 

It shows how hard it is to identify the best players available. We've been spoilt in recent years because we've been getting it exactly right on transfers about 90% of the time.

These two are both 23 years old, so the hope is that they will continue to improve and get a good foothold with this league.