You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't agree with that myself. I don't think Elliot has shown he's capable at this level, he's been mostly poor. I know he's a kid, but he just has shown anything special yet. Bajcetic too, he's just a kid with nothing behind him, he looked good in the context we expected nothing of him, but he was very careless at time in possession (understandable but not what we need now). It feels to me we're going into the season with just 3 serious contenders to play, Dom, Mac and Jones and Jones has barely stayed fit for 2 years. 1 is definitely not enough. But I'm not that sure we'll even get one. 

Never! The kid Bajcetic is special. Important not to over play him again though as he’s only young. Give him time to grow.

The thought of Thiago teaching him over the next year is fantastic and worth the obvious risk in keeping him.

Assuming we get Lavia, I think the numbers are fine for the box midfield.

3 players who can play as the 6 (Lavia, Thiago & Bajcetic).

4 players who can play as the 8/10 (Macca, Dom, Curtis, Harvey).

Also have Gakpo as an option for certain games and Trent could also play any midfield role too.

• Upvote 10

It's starting to look like we're not going be buying a CB? When was the last time we were even seriously linked to one? Make Gomez 2nd choice right back/5th choice CB, bring someone in, make Matip 4th choice. Simple. It's just asking for trouble to go into the season with those defenders.

Midfield - one is the bare minimum needed and presumably Lavia will be done soon, but another midfielder would be great and personally, I'd prefer someone experienced because that's what we're lacking there, which is why the briefly mooted idea of getting Gini on loan was appealing. That would give us a decent mix of youth and experience in midfield. It can really go either way with Elliott and Jones - they could really come on this season and be valuable squad members, or not. Elliott hasn't been "mostly poor" though as someone said above. That's harsh.

44 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Assuming we get Lavia, I think the numbers are fine for the box midfield.

3 players who can play as the 6 (Lavia, Thiago & Bajcetic).

4 players who can play as the 8/10 (Macca, Dom, Curtis, Harvey).

Also have Gakpo as an option for certain games and Trent could also play any midfield role too.

Still would want one more, but it's about risk management more than a lack of capable personnel. Still need that defender too.

56 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Never! The kid Bajcetic is special. Important not to over play him again though as he’s only young. Give him time to grow.

The thought of Thiago teaching him over the next year is fantastic and worth the obvious risk in keeping him.

I really liked what I saw of him, though we clearly ran him into the ground. His second season will be interesting - if he can excel again among these new signings, he'll be a big asset in that 6 position. 

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Still would want one more, but it's about risk management more than a lack of capable personnel. Still need that defender too.

I’d like 2 midfielders, I think the best we’ll do is Lavia and Andre for January.

I agree a defender is a must. 

This window has really annoyed me. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

Elliott and Bajcetic will be fine to use in Europa and dometic cup games, possibly even Tyler Morton too.

If you see it as three from five of Lavia, Slzobz, Mac Alister, Thiago and Jones with Elliott, Bajcetic, Morton in reserve it's not ideal, but ok. The three youngsters can easily cover the minutes of Keita, Arthur, Ox and Milner.

We are going to need 5 players per game with and 5 sub rule. And we already know thiago will miss 50% of them. It's just not enough for me. 

1 hour ago, Reckoner said:

There's been hundreds of kids over the years that look great in their opening half a dozen games and spend most of the career in the lower league. I'm not getting excited yet. I remember when people on here were doing somersault because Jordan I've could kick the ball hard at the goal as an example. 

59 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Wee Harvey deserves more respect here. He was excellent when starting in our midfield before the Leeds injury. With able bodies who can run around him I reckon he'll get back to that form.

Is this a joke? That was 2 years ago he's played a whole season since and been fit for 18 months. He hasn't progressed at all. I'm fine with that, some players take longer to get there, but there's absolutely no evidence he's good enough now. Well depending on what your target is. He was a regular in a mid table team for the first half of last season and looked one of the worst players. 

14 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

He had a decent last 3rd of last season. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I saw him being described as a physically strong player who likes to carry the ball, works hard, and is a box-to-box midfielder without being particularly telling at either end. That just sounds like Alex Iwobi to me.