You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, redrosetints said:

See, Funky Cold Medina is the man …

He's not. If we wanted a defender with the thought that he would be crucial to our formation, say a left footer cb/lb hybrid like Medina, we'd have adressed it.

If we buy one it will be as a preemptive Matip replacement. With left side premium because that player could replace van Dijk eventually. But leaving it this late tells you we don't really care.

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was thinking about this ward prowse deal earlier. Does him moving and now Southampton have banked 60m in a week, mean Southampton are under even less pressure to do a deal for Lavia? By dragging our feet have we fucked up even more? 

We are the professionals.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Southampton are under even less pressure to do a deal for Lavia? 

Not sure it has anything to do with dragging our feet tbh.

I think they might keep him. Same goes for Caicedo imo. Selling clubs have to be looking at the market and wondering how they can find replacements that give them a chance to compete. Kane probably stays at Spurs as well. They have not made any bids to fill that position. Richarlison is not a CL teams CF.

They went and got Maddison who seems quite similar to Kulusevski.

Something is wrong with our recruitment system...And it has been the case now for 3 or 4 years.

It might simply be down to money, it could be down to conflict between coaching staff and the analysts/these "heads of recruitment et al" - it might be down to personnel problems and/or people leaving....It is likely I suppose a mix of those things and more, but something is wrong.

We went down the road of spending a big chunk of our supposedly quite limited resources on new deals and increased wages for ageing players and not spending enough on refreshing the squad and on succession planning/building depth.

We went what was it nigh on 5 years in which the only senior midfielder we signed was a 29 year old with a terrible injury record in Thiago.

Out of around £300m spent from summer 2020 to winter 22/23 around 75% of it was spent on left sided forwards....

Now here we are in a widely recognised pivotal summer of a badly, badly needed rebuild and we are dicking around...

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure it has anything to do with dragging our feet tbh.

I think they might keep him. Same goes for Caicedo imo. Selling clubs have to be looking at the market and wondering how they can find replacements that give them a chance to compete. Kane probably stays at Spurs as well. They have not made any bids to fill that position. Richarlison is not a CL teams CF.

They went and got Maddison who seems quite similar to Kulusevski.

Why do you not think we're dragging our feet? I assume our interest in Lavia started before the summer break h so we've had all summer to bid. We were linked with him in a serious "imminent" way when we signed Dom when it was reported we'd out an offer in within days. And interestingly I know the people who need to be around when we do transfers were told to expect another one, so they'd be needed again before training resumed 8 or 9 days later h everyone in that process was told this. I don't know who the player was, but Lavia seems to be the one. 

Then the Saudi thing kicked off and we just stalled. Only to return to Lavia about 2 or 3 weeks later. It then took us a week to add 2m to a previous offer. 

That's dragging feet. 

I get the idea Southampton mightn't want to sell. But you work that out quickly and move on. If we haven't moved on, we either can't work it out or we're dragging our feet. 

The Southampton manager pretty much said last night the lad is available, but he doesn't know if he will go as they want their valuation and nothing will happen before this weekend. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Why do you not think we're dragging our feet?

I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, nor would I pretend too. There is a chance we are looking at another player and if we could get Lavia for what the club considers his value maybe that makes the deal. To continue to repeat the - we only work on one deal at a time mantra when it has proven to be false seems off. No one had a clue we were signing the guy we are now trying to replace until it happened. That happens more often than not.

Certainly it is a little strange that you continue to believe journalists who half the time you say are "lying" and the other half the time are making it up.

No one inside the club "leaks" facts - until something concrete happens then there is a chorus.

I think I'm beginning to agree with carragher this deal is farcical for the amount if time its taking. It wouldn't be too bad if we actually knew that we are making other deals and not just spending months on a 19 year old championship player. At this point after all this time we will of probably saved about 3 weeks worth of Salahs wages on the deal with our tough negotiating.