You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

21 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Joe Rodon joining Leeds on loan. Could that impact Phillips going there? 

Doesn't look like it - Liam Cooper out for around 8 weeks.

The only currently have 2 'senior' centre-backs in Charlie Creswell & Pascal Struijk, though Ethan Ampadu could play there too if needed.

Cooper has had a number of injuries in the last couple of seasons, so I'd guess that Leeds want sufficient cover at the back. A loan deal for someone like Rodon makes perfect sense, but would not close the door on a deal for Nat, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Its getting to a point now where there are so many options for the top players that it's sort of emboldened the smaller clubs.

Let's take Lavia, Southampton can potentially get 40 million for him off City next season, or they could try and sell him to Saudi Arabia. He probably wouldn't want to go there at this point in his career, but let's be honest if they offer him 700k a week or similar is he really going to say no?

I can't ever remember a time where a player had so many choices of club or league. We are in very real danger of being completely left behind.

I mean, the real issue with Lavia is that the market for DMs this summer is absolutely bonkers.

Usually things kind of move in concert with player values, but this summer it's really just at the 6 where you have 4-5 big teams all looking to improve there and so the few top options are insanely expensive. Which means that the average/"big potential" players below them all go up in value as well.

I was thinking that Lavia for 50m was actually kind of an overpay (meaning we should just move on to the next target), but then I saw that United are holding out for 45m for McTominay. All of a sudden Southampton's asking price for Lavia feels quite cheap!

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I assumed he would have some flexibility around the budgets and valuations that the club have set and if he needs to move from that it can be done in a quick manner. Spending a week to up a bid 2m just makes everyone look fucking stupid.

He's supposed to be a negotiator, if he can't do that, or we won't give him the freedom to do that, he's a waste of time. As I said weeks ago, just get someone out of the kitchen at Kirkby to do it, because if all he's doing is sending emails saying exactly what Gordon says, I don't see the point of the role. It seems Gordon needs a PA not a football administrator. 

Well, obvious neither of us really knows what he’s doing or how the club works, but I assume that as he has just come in to help with the transfer window he really is just doing a bit of admin, as he has experience with transfers and contracts, which someone out of the Kirkby kitchen wouldn’t.

The scouts recommend players, the data wonks give a guide valuation, Klopp picks who he wants and Gordon approves the budget.

Big Jorg makes a few phone calls and sorts out the paper work.

• Upvote 1

Neymar:”I’ll sign for you so long as I don’t have play for you…”

Neymar would willing to leave PSG for a club in Saudi Arabia provided they let him spend a season on loan at Barcelona. (Sport in Spanish)

6 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Neymar:”I’ll sign for you so long as I don’t have play for you…”

Neymar would willing to leave PSG for a club in Saudi Arabia provided they let him spend a season on loan at Barcelona. (Sport in Spanish)

He’s an an absolute skid mark on the game. 

He kicked off all this next level of craziness with his transfer to PSG. 

I bet he’ll still ask Barca for the last 16 CL games off so he could fly back to Brazil to finger his sister.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The two biggest moves of this window - which have been on the cards for months if not a year - can't get done. Kane and Caicedo - what is the hold up??

Spurs always do this with big sales. 

They get all their incomings done first then announce the sale at the end

5 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I mean, the real issue with Lavia is that the market for DMs this summer is absolutely bonkers.

Usually things kind of move in concert with player values, but this summer it's really just at the 6 where you have 4-5 big teams all looking to improve there and so the few top options are insanely expensive. Which means that the average/"big potential" players below them all go up in value as well.

I was thinking that Lavia for 50m was actually kind of an overpay (meaning we should just move on to the next target), but then I saw that United are holding out for 45m for McTominay. All of a sudden Southampton's asking price for Lavia feels quite cheap!

That’s why I was surprised we weren’t even linked with Tyler Adams, that release clause is the kind of thing we like.

Still think Fofana could do a job for us, out of contract next summer and on small wages, you’d think even with an overpay we could get that one done for about half of Lavia.

12 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I understand it all Baz we need to deal with it far better however way we set up, he was and is not a defender we cannot keep playing this way with these players as you know.

Or the team needs to find a way to defend the way we used to - or at least as effectively. Klopp is a front foot manager. There's always gaps in teams, be it at the back or not having enough numbers going forward, but under klopp we've found a way to play leaving gaps which has worked for us. In fact leaving the opportunity to counter us has often tempted teams to play out and we've stung them with the press and a turnover of possession.

Personally I think the real issue is at the moment is we're exposed by one lump up the pitch. Vvd mentioned it the other day that they can see why it's a problem with their positioning on the video. I just feel we need a bit more time to work that out. And it won't help having new players in midfield and such a reduced squad, nobody is playing a consistent role. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Well, obvious neither of us really knows what he’s doing or how the club works, but I assume that as he has just come in to help with the transfer window he really is just doing a bit of admin, as he has experience with transfers and contracts, which someone out of the Kirkby kitchen wouldn’t.

The scouts recommend players, the data wonks give a guide valuation, Klopp picks who he wants and Gordon approves the budget.

Big Jorg makes a few phone calls and sorts out the paper work.

I agree with the last paragraph to an extent, but in order to do his job effectively, he clearly needs more freedom than he has. The fact we've only got 2 release clauses over the line on what was supposed to be a 4 or 5 player window, when klopp wanted deals done early and was before the Saudi's came in, is testament to that..

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Or the team needs to find a way to defend the way we used to - or at least as effectively. Klopp is a front foot manager. There's always gaps in teams, be it at the back or not having enough numbers going forward, but under klopp we've found a way to play leaving gaps which has worked for us. In fact leaving the opportunity to counter us has often tempted teams to play out and we've stung them with the press and a turnover of possession.

Personally I think the real issue is at the moment is we're exposed by one lump up the pitch. Vvd mentioned it the other day that they can see why it's a problem with their positioning on the video. I just feel we need a bit more time to work that out. And it won't help having new players in midfield and such a reduced squad, nobody is playing a consistent role. 

I agree with the last paragraph to an extent, but in order to do his job effectively, he clearly needs more freedom than he has. The fact we've only got 2 release clauses over the line on what was supposed to be a 4 or 5 player window, when klopp wanted deals done early and was before the Saudi's came in, is testament to that..

Why would you give him more leeway though? He’s not been involved with the club for more than 5 minutes.

The problem is FSG had 9 months to get a successor in place for Ward, and haven’t managed to do it, hence the bodge job with Jorg at his villa in Ibiza.

5 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Why would you give him more leeway though? He’s not been involved with the club for more than 5 minutes.

The problem is FSG had 9 months to get a successor in place for Ward, and haven’t managed to do it, hence the bodge job with Jorg at his villa in Ibiza.

There are lots and lots of people who go into big jobs and have freedom to do what's needed from day 1. You don't have to build up trust in the role. There are people who do temporary CEO/COO/CTO type roles all the time. They're there to do the job while the right long term successor is found. I wouldn't be letting him pick players. But his job is to get deals done. The market is changing by the day due to the Saudi involvement, there's not time to get back to the data guys to rerun models to see if we can offer more for a player. There needs to be flexibility financially. Or as I say, why did we hire him? 

It seems like we've constructed a system designed to fail. 

30 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There are lots and lots of people who go into big jobs and have freedom to do what's needed from day 1. You don't have to build up trust in the role. There are people who do temporary CEO/COO/CTO type roles all the time. They're there to do the job while the right long term successor is found. I wouldn't be letting him pick players. But his job is to get deals done. The market is changing by the day due to the Saudi involvement, there's not time to get back to the data guys to rerun models to see if we can offer more for a player. There needs to be flexibility financially. Or as I say, why did we hire him? 

It seems like we've constructed a system designed to fail. 

Yeah fair points, and maybe you’re right and he does have some leeway on the money.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Its getting to a point now where there are so many options for the top players that it's sort of emboldened the smaller clubs.

Let's take Lavia, Southampton can potentially get 40 million for him off City next season, or they could try and sell him to Saudi Arabia. He probably wouldn't want to go there at this point in his career, but let's be honest if they offer him 700k a week or similar is he really going to say no?

I can't ever remember a time where a player had so many choices of club or league. We are in very real danger of being completely left behind.

I view this as yet another distortion of the market by a nation state backed club. 'OK we'll buy in this promising player, won't play him or give him first team opportunities, but will sell him to a club where we can place a high buy back clause on him to prevent our competitors from being able to acquire him at a competitive/normative price'.

• Upvote 2