You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Echo starting with a "wait till next year" for colwill. They can just fuck off with this shite. Get the fucking job done or move on. The only player we've ever waited for is vvd and that was just a punishment delay for fucking up the transfer. All the other just never materialise. 

Liverpool may have to wait another 12 months to sign perfect defender 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-wait-another-12-months-27380229#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

As sure a night follows day there will always be a "Keeping our powder dry until next summer" Article when its transfer window time. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

I’d assume he wants a crack at playing CL football and no other qualified club wants him?

did he not play in that for the mancs? i dunno what difference it makes playing for a team that'll go out by xmas if you've already done it. 

2 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

The two situations are completely different though. If Colwill becomes a regular at Chelsea and they have a good season, he will most likely stay there and sign a new contract. If he can't break through at Chelsea this season then he's not good enough for us.

As far as I'm concerned, anything less than two more midfielders and another defender means we are going to struggle again this season. 

i agree there is no upside to waiting, but there never is. the vvd is a stupid anomaly while we sorted our shit out with southampton to save being charged by the league. every other "we'll wait" ends in failure for the exact reasons you're saying. they're either shite or become inaccessible to us as someone else will want them. if colwill isn't for this summer, just move on to the next one off the rank. 

• Upvote 2

"Premier League experience" is the most over-rated attribute there is, Bajcetic came in last season about three weeks past puberty and made established Premier League players look like donkeys, Haaland didn't have a minute of Premier League experience but he was making Dixie Dean look like a bum. Just sign a player with the appropriate skillset, the rest will take care of itself.

• Upvote 4

Hillarious in a dystopian way if he goes to Saudi, then they loan him to Newcastle. 

Think he'll end up at Real eventually, but those kind of figures are daft.

He goes there and it is the beginning of the Saudi league becoming among the best in the world. The Premier League fucked it up letting the Trojan Horse in because this mongoose is going to rip the fuck out of the family of snakes and then come for the crocs as well. Fifa and Uefa will roll over for them and they'll end up in European competition.

Shocking state football is in.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Hillarious in a dystopian way if he goes to Saudi, then they loan him to Newcastle. 

Think he'll end up at Real eventually, but those kind of figures are daft.

He goes there and it is the beginning of the Saudi league becoming among the best in the world. The Premier League fucked it up letting the Trojan Horse in because this mongoose is going to rip the fuck out of the family of snakes and then come for the crocs as well. Fifa and Uefa will roll over for them and they'll end up in European competition.

Shocking state football is in.

Couldn't agree more.

I think.

15 minutes ago, Strontium said:

"Premier League experience" is the most over-rated attribute there is, Bajcetic came in last season about three weeks past puberty and made established Premier League players look like donkeys, Haaland didn't have a minute of Premier League experience but he was making Dixie Dean look like a bum. Just sign a player with the appropriate skillset, the rest will take care of itself.

personally i think it's a question of the footballer. some footballers have the skillset to adapt quickly and likely enjoy the challenge - including the likelihood of being in a new country and a language they don't know or know very little. it's not just about if a player can play in your league, it's as much if they can settle and set up a home life. it's all part of an equation of risk.

So what happens when the rest of the world comes after their oil? Will all Saudi affiliated clubs get the Chelsea treatment. I know at the moment the relationship with the Saudi’s is too profitable for the major nations to start their invasions but there’ll come a point when they’ll decide to go for the goose instead of the golden eggs.

26 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I completely disagree.

You mention Haaland, but look at how much the likes of Werner and Sancho have struggled in England.  

We saw it last season with the likes of Carvalho and Nunez.

I think there's a reason we are targeting players that already play in the Premier League. 

On 19/07/2023 at 14:24, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Feel the same more or less. My oldest son i a massive Liverpool supporter, and he has kept me going for a few years, despite the whole thing turning into the sad state it has. He’s twenty now, and by the sound of it he may well fuck the whole thing off as well, he’s not very excited about the Saudi sporstwash/takeover either.

It's sad isn't it for lads like your son who is clearly a boss Red. I mean the likes of us have seen a lot and old age may make you get perspective about the importance of other things, but at twenty nearly all my money went on following us. I wouldn't change it for amything. 

My dad and mam are in their nineties. My dad a huge Evertonian and my mam a huge Red. Football is something they still love watching. I just can't see myself being like that if I'm around at their age. But hey who am I kidding. Football is a drug. I just can't see the younger generations being as arsed.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

The time it isnt overrated is when you have 5 players in one position group leaving and need to replace some of them with players who might not take 6 months to acclimate.