You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (A) FA Cup 4th Rd - 29/1/23 - 13.30

an tha

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Nope because you're deliberately ignoring what Im saying. In our current side, fewer chances will be made for him to finish. I get that.

But when he has the ball and is in front of goal, too many of his shots go high or wide.

Even if Owen, Torres and Suarez in their first season were playing in this side, they'd score more than Darwin because they were better finishers.

Suarez missed an absolute bagful in his first season

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bossy said:

Suarez missed an absolute bagful in his first season

Suarez scored 4 league goals in 13 appearances after he joined in the January. I dont know how many more he got on target that the keeper saved or came back off the post.

Im fed up repeating myself. Im not talking just pure goals. His finishing isnt to the standard of Owen, Torres or Suarez. I hope his finishing improves.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Suarez scored 4 league goals in 13 appearances after he joined in the January. I dont know how many more he got on target that the keeper saved or came back off the post.

Im fed up repeating myself. Im not talking just pure goals. His finishing isnt to the standard of Owen, Torres or Suarez. I hope his finishing improves.

so let me get this straight.  You're talking about how many goals he's scored from presentable chances compared to Owen, Torres and Suarez?  Anything else is not a finish, surely?  It's the missed opportunity manifesting itself in the sticky pre-cum dribble of disappointment.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

so let me get this straight.  You're talking about how many goals he's scored from presentable chances compared to Owen, Torres and Suarez?  Anything else is not a finish, surely?  It's the missed opportunity manifesting itself in the sticky pre-cum dribble of disappointment.

Nope. If you'd bothered to read all my comments, you'd know what I meant and that my comments include Mo and Gakpo. Just stick to your Henderson baiting.

• Like 1

Bar Robbo, Alisson and Konate, we are bang fucking average with the odd flash/spell of ok-ishness. 

To slow when passing out of defence and wanting too much time when we receive the ball, persistently passing to players who haven't a clue whos baring down on them and added to the wanting too much time and we get disposed far to easily.

Passing was shocking at times and Thiago just is not the answer, nor is  Jones, Keita, Slippers(Fabinho).

Henderson is more metronome than pace setter. Milner was the only real effective sub, Trent stunk the place out and the lad he was marking glided passed him at will, every time he wanted to. 

Jo is on valium I reckon, he looks nervous as fuck every second of the game. Gakpo, Nunez and Salah, need to start every single game together and start forging a fresh trident. 

Bar that, we were, and are, poo. 

38 minutes ago, Code said:

Absolutely shocking stuff. Is he scared of the ball?

I think that's harsh.  He was done by a great piece of forward play.

The runaway pulled miss by Salah was more concerning to me.

I have loved what the man has done for us, but he's offering so little at the moment.  Watching their left winger go past "England's Right Back" at will and comparing it to Mo not beating Ecuador's left back (I had to look that up) even once, is a stark example of the drop in confidence.

I would give Harvey a go there and give Mo an opportunity to regroup.  Physically he is still there, but his confidence is shot.  How long you have to try "option A" of hoping he'll play his way out of it before you recognise we need to try option B is also a concern.  Jurgen has to make that call.

Of course he's going to be first on the team sheet as a reliable big hitter.  He's got so much credit in the bank.  I don't want to make him into the fall guy, I just want old Mo back.  This current iteration ain't working.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, razor said:

I think that's harsh.  He was done by a great piece of forward play.

The runaway pulled miss by Salah was more concerning to me.

I have loved what the man has done for us, but he's offering so little at the moment.  Watching their left winger go past "England's Right Back" at will and comparing it to Mo not beating Ecuador's left back (I had to look that up) even once, is a stark example of the drop in confidence.

I would give Harvey a go there and give Mo an opportunity to regroup.  Physically he is still there, but his confidence is shot.  How long you have to try "option A" of hoping he'll play his way out of it before you recognise we need to try option B is also a concern.  Jurgen has to make that call.

Of course he's going to be first on the team sheet as a reliable big hitter.  He's got so much credit in the bank.  I don't want to make him into the fall guy, I just want old Mo back.  This current iteration ain't working.

Salah was never the best " give him the ball out wide and he'll beat the full back" type of wide player to begin with.

It was always about getting him the ball in the penalty area, which is why his goal record is what it's been. That's what makes him playing wider and deeper at times this season, crazy. Especially at this point in his career.

Mitoma is that kind of player. He clearly relishes beating his fullback. Good dribbler, has flair, two footed. 

3 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Dreadful. We are a dreadful football team.

Madrid are going to fucking batter us.

Christ, I'm not looking forward to the derby at all. 

Aaarrrrgggg.

We're going to confuse them with a previously unheard of configuration.

Don't worry.

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Salah was never the best " give him the ball out wide and he'll beat the full back" type of wide player to begin with.

It was always about getting him the ball in the penalty area, which is why his goal record is what it's been. That's what makes him playing wider and deeper at times this season, crazy. Especially at this point in his career.

Mitoma is that kind of player. He clearly relishes beating his fullback. Good dribbler, has flair, two footed. 

Yes, I agree Mo isn't a traditional tricky winger.  I used Mitoma as positionally he is the Brighton player closest to Salah.  He also outran Mo, had more touches in the box, found his teammates with greater accuracy, was more threatening, and also scored the winner from inside the six yard box.

My point is to highlight how jaded Mo Salah looks.

Jurgen seems to be shoehorning Harvey into the team, no matter what.  The obvious answer to ONE of our many issues is to start Harvey in the attacking right position.

There are more pressing issues - the midfield, clearly - but I also think this needs to be looked at.

44 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The Liverpool team from 12 months ago would beat this Liverpool team about 13-nil. Bizarre.

That's true and it's baffling.  You could argue that we've got injuries we didn't have last year and that Nuñez isn't up to Mané's level, but that doesn't explain why Virg, Trent, Robbo, Hendo, Fabinho and Mo are all so much worse now.