You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House Of The Dragon

Vincent Vega

While I like him in the role, Matt Smith has been a bit hammy, pantomime villain-esque.  I think Paddy Considine has been excellent if he's trying to portray a reluctant king who can't really be arsed with it but bears the weight of his ancestors.

I've not read the book.

On 19/09/2022 at 23:03, Moo said:

While I like him in the role, Matt Smith has been a bit hammy, pantomime villain-esque.  I think Paddy Considine has been excellent if he's trying to portray a reluctant king who can't really be arsed with it but bears the weight of his ancestors.

I've not read the book.

Yeah I agree I think Matt Smith has been hammy as fuck but the character is designed to grab the attention regardless and Paddy has been good a man exasperated by the role of King and those around him. Its been okay.

I’ve not had a chance to watch this as the missus was away but fully caught up now. 

it’s good so far and really enjoyable the time jumps take a minute to get used to, but the story is progressing well and the characters are interesting. The criticisms are the Rambo style attack on the crab king and Daemons consistent plot armour he should have been dead a few times. Also how crap is the actor who plays the princesses husband to be the gay valaryon kid. Hopefully he’ll be dead soon.

I like Matt smith and paddy considine although the not long left for the show. I don’t get the criticism of them at all. The princess is great and it’s a shame they will be replacing her. That’s a big weight on the new actress and if she doesn’t nail it it could tank the show.

On 21/09/2022 at 06:33, JagSquared said:

Also how crap is the actor who plays the princesses husband to be the gay valaryon kid. Hopefully he’ll be dead soon.

I think this actor is changing in the next episode too.

I'm looking forward to the time jump, intrigued by how smooth or not the change will be.  Doesn't harm that the adult Rhaenyra is gorgeous, in the bits I've seen of her.

53 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Binned it. It's just so dull. A pale imitation of GoT on nearly every level, and with several times the budget. Even taking it on its own merits it's boring. It's a boring family psychodrama with zero humour and not a fraction of the quality of dialogue that came before. 

My issue is there’s no one to root for. GoT had the Starks, specifically Ned.  I know he was only in 6/7 episodes but he was the gateway into the show and his family were reasonably normal.  This doesn’t have anyone like that. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

My issue is there’s no one to root for. GoT had the Starks, specifically Ned.  I know he was only in 6/7 episodes but he was the gateway into the show and his family were reasonably normal.  This doesn’t have anyone like that. 

The point of George RR Martin stories is for characters to be ambiguous.

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

Binned it. It's just so dull. A pale imitation of GoT on nearly every level, and with several times the budget. Even taking it on its own merits it's boring. It's a boring family psychodrama with zero humour and not a fraction of the quality of dialogue that came before. 

I think you’re right about all of that, but I’m going to stay the course. It’s still the first season and the potential is obviously there.

20 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Another really strong episode this week, really brutal in parts.

Undecided how successful the time shift and the casting was though.

Yeah I really liked the actress that played the young princess. Her new husband was a lot better (not great by any means) but the previous actor was terrible. The new alicent was good but her son Aemon is a twat. 

The cripple is a right slimy bastard though, but I’m struggling to keep up with all the names. The now tv app on my tv isn’t showing subtitles which would help.

I'm going off this now. The huge time jumps are getting silly. No character development can happen effectively when they jump months and years ahead from the previous episode. Not a single character is worth giving a shit about. In GoT we were already invested in the Starks, Tyrion, and others after just a few episodes. 

It's bizarre that they have 2 new actresses for the leading ladies but the actor for Criston Cole stays the same and looks the same. How does that work?

I'm sure these time jumps are just designed to get to the main act (the Dance of the Dragons) and when that happens things will slow down and be a bit more linear like the original series. Right now it feels like a muddle. 

I expect season 2 to be a lot better.

Yeah I didn't enjoy the actor changes at all, especially Allicent (to be fair the new actress is really good, but the old one was better looking!) and the time jump feels like I have missed a season. I do like the slight expansion of characters, I get it's about Targaryens mostly but GOTs multiple arcs were one of it's best aspects. A decent villain is definitely appreciated though as Daemon is too much inbetween and he was pretty boring in the latest episode. Surely in the next episode Viserys will finally cark it and then shenanigans can start, though I'm not really sure if I have a dog in the fight. 

Mildly entertaining but boy are these characters not very sympathetic. Who is the hero or heroes of this series? Who are we meant to be rooting for? I honestly don't give a fuck about any of them. Almost every character on the show is an unlikeable twat. Even the damned kids are annoying as hell.

1 minute ago, Baltar said:

Mildly entertaining but boy are these characters not very sympathetic. Who is the hero or heroes of this series? Who are we meant to be rooting for? I honestly don't give a fuck about any of them. Almost every character on the show is an unlikeable twat. Even the damned kids are annoying as hell.

Games of thrones was a bit like that tbf

A lot of the characters were shades of grey.

Enjoyed the eppisode. The queen going mad was ace, as was little lord fuck pants stealing the massive dragon. The realisation on Paddys face when his son said "everyone knows" was a great piece of acting. 

Dr Who and his niece getting together was inevitable IMO but I likes the twist of her husband actually surviving, that will be something to come back to in later series I'm sure.