You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

14 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

If we've effectively swapped Diaz for Mane, Nunez for Origi and Gakpo for Minamino, do you think it was a good idea to use 100 million quid to replace our 5th and 6th choice attackers?

Yeah, because with 5 subs, you'll be bringing on 2 forwards per game if you have them and the way we play, the bulk of our goals come from those forward positions, so it's crucial there's not a drop off. It's a distraction to think we shouldn't have good forwards just because we have never got rid of other players and refuse to lower valuations to free up squad places and just cut our losses on players who haven't worked out. We are one of the world's richest clubs and we behave in the transfer market like Burnley or something. When klopp arrived he didn't build in the traditional way and make us stable and then worked out how to make us better going forward. He got us scoring goals, then tightened up at the back. I've no reason at all to think we won't have to do the same on this rebuild. 

14 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, he hasn't.

No he hasn't. If Keita was willing, we'd extend him. That's been reported.

Well it's also been reported we've fucked him off too. But I don't dispute we'd keep him, it's the cheap thing to do and that's what we do. Of the 3 forwards who've left in the last year, mane wanted to go, divi wanted his bosman and Monaco hit our valuation for mini (and by all accounts he wanted to go). I'm sure if anyone had met our valuations for Chamberlain or keita, they'd no longer be at the club either. The problem is, nobody has been interested in them. Other clubs would find a way to get rid even if it means making a bit of a loss. We just won't do that and it's the nub of our recruitment problems. If we'd have been able to make the changes in the midfield we have in the forward positions, I would suggest we wouldn't be in the state we are now. 

Like most, certainly in this thread, I’m at a loss to understand the direction, or lack of, that the club appears to be going in currently.

The lack of forethought with midfield players, injuries to important forwards and defenders, and what appears to be mass defection from the back room staff overall don’t make for confidence building, especially with results and performance levels from players diving at the same time.

It’s the latter that intrigues me most. We’ve had circumstances similar before where injuries have affected us badly. And we’ve procrastinated before on bringing in players when we had the centre back debacle a couple of seasons ago.

But we’ve not had back room staff leaving in the manner that they have been this season.

I would like to know why that’s happened, because it smacks of something deeply wrong at the club, even though I would only be speculating as to what it might be.

I scan these threads regularly but can’t remember there being too much explanation as to why medical, recruitment and sports science positions have been vacated, unless of course I’m missing things, which is very possible.

• Upvote 1

3rd highest earners in the world, legitimately 2nd and we are still fucking broke, we've got no chance. Klopp worked miracles once to ask again that's a lot. If they aren't prepared to invest when we are desperate for it to salvage our season then they don't give two fucks. Any buys in the summer will come from sales.

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

3rd highest earners in the world, legitimately 2nd and we are still fucking broke, we've got no chance. Klopp worked miracles once to ask again that's a lot. If they aren't prepared to invest when we are desperate for it to salvage our season then they don't give two fucks. Any buys in the summer will come from sales.

Yup. This window has gone with the "Liverpool for sale" news......before tailing off with the "FSG only looking for an investor" recently.

I wouldn't be surprised if the take over news goes all quiet before springing straight back in June. 

Gillett and Hicks must be kicking themselves every day for the last 10+ years. This is EXACTLY what they could have done if they were not noisy, egoistic and general lunatics. Greed is the same, difference is just in the way to do it.....plus Klopp. 

1 hour ago, Megadrive Person said:

Has Cancelo shagged Guardiola's wife or something? 

While it’s easier for Guardiola to take risks like this when he has unlimited funds, I’d like Klopp to do something similar with one of our main players for the rest of the season - send them all a message. 

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

While it’s easier for Guardiola to take risks like this when he has unlimited funds, I’d like Klopp to do something similar with one of our main players for the rest of the season - send them all a message. 

Difference is the players we'd want to loan are shit.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Leeds signing Weston McKenzie. 

Chelsea trying to sign Enzo Fernandez.

Arsenal trying to sign Caicedo.

Newcastle trying to sign Sander Berge.

The mancs trying for Tielemans. 

We’re doing fuck all.

Sounds like you might be on the cunt train?