You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

So we’ll have a mini-Mascherano and a mini-Stevie G next season. Thiago and Harvey can split the Xabi role between them and we’re all set to go and finish 2nd again. 

Third.  Newcastle will be second. 

30 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Anyone else think this Fernández stuff is just us trying to knock the Bellingham price down?

In this case I don't see it making a difference. 

Sounds like Bellingham favours the move to us but I doubt he is that wed to the idea that if Dortmund say they want more than we are prepared to pay he won't go elsewhere. I think us threatening to do a deal for someone else wouldn't bother them at all. 

31 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

problem is if we are trying to get both will we fudge our wat through this season and finish outside the top 4

Yeah, would agree. Unless we have super serious levels of money coming in and buy someone like Caciedo in Jan as well. 

31 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

As the forum expert on Enzo Fernandez, I am pleased to report that he is, indeed, some sort of midfielder. I think. 

It's this type of in-depth knowledge that makes me come onto here for my transfer gossip. Unparalleled.

• Upvote 1

As much as we miss Hendo’s dynamism and Thiago when he’s out injured I think we can get enough out of both of them and try and get others to replicate what they offer to a decent enough level. What we really lack, especially in the short term is Fabinho being a brilliant defensive midfielder. He’s either lost it and needs replacing or is knackered and needs back up. I’d 100% keep our powder dry if it meant waiting for Enzo and Bellingham but if they’re looking to patch up midfield in Jan we could find someone in the £25m-£30m range who offers us running and physicality.

2 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

As much as we miss Hendo’s dynamism and Thiago when he’s out injured I think we can get enough out of both of them and try and get others to replicate what they offer to a decent enough level. What we really lack, especially in the short term is Fabinho being a brilliant defensive midfielder. He’s either lost it and needs replacing or is knackered and needs back up. I’d 100% keep our powder dry if it meant waiting for Enzo and Bellingham but if they’re looking to patch up midfield in Jan we could find someone in the £25m-£30m range who offers us running and physicality.

If we do keep our powder dry, we run the risk of Europa League and not Champions League.

23 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

That approach got us into this mess. 

The only way I would hope the club would entertain that would be if Fernandez and Bellingham were guaranteed for the summer, not CL dependent. Even then it feels too risky. 

If we are planning to pay Fernandez release clause then not sure why that couldn't be done in Jan anyway. 

Whatever way it happens I cannot see us not signing players in Jan because I cannot imagine many of those top players will really come if we are not in CL (maybe Bellingham based on comments). It could set us back years unless we have new owners with ridiculous wealth. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

As the forum expert on Enzo Fernandez, I am pleased to report that he is, indeed, some sort of midfielder. I think. 

He plays with this guy. His first name is Ben. His last name is Fica. He plays with Ben Fica. That's top level knowledge there.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Get them now while we are still in the champions league. Shit 3 European cup finals spending next to nothing should of created a mighty war chest.

You would think that getting the CL would impact the sales price and so they will be active. 

Also read, and I don't know if it is utter crap, that if we spent a shed load on players now and add it to the sales price, under tax laws, the majority of it can get written off. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HBenn said:

You would think that getting the CL would impact the sales price and so they will be active. 

Also read, and I don't know if it is utter crap, that if we spent a shed load on players now and add it to the sales price, under tax laws, the majority of it can get written off. 

I’m taking that tax thing as gospel and assuming we’re buying everyone. 

13 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’m taking that tax thing as gospel and assuming we’re buying everyone. 

Well there is probably about as much chance of it being true as the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future visiting John Henry and him authorising the spend as a leaving gift but hey, we can all dream!