You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

41 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I'm convinced it's happening, there's just too much noise around it. Hendo and Trent are clearly playing up to it and I want to believe that they wouldn't want to break my heart by getting my hopes up so much. 

I am starting to think this. 

Klopp is saying we need proven players now, the noises are the club realise they need to move away from the self sufficiency model. Had we not been so bad in the league I could see the owners doing nothing until investment arrives but I don't know as they can take that risk now. 

Maybe the new owners/investors will be in place/are already in place for Jan. 

Even without that though, we have 11 midfielders for 3 positions with at least 4 going in the summer. That should solve the wages issue re Bellingham. 

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If Bellingham was gallivanting around with Foden, Grealish, Walker etc, like he is with Hendo & Trent, we’d all be convinced he’s going to City. 

Yeah you'd think he would be hanging out with them if he was likely to be joining City.

Missing out on the Champions League could be a problem though. 

I doubt anybody thought that we'd miss out last summer, I thought worse case scenario we'd be third. 

34 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

My only concern with Bellingham is the club just going it's Bellingham and thats it. As for the midfield I'm not sure it will be Bellingham and another unless they sell Thiago or Fabinho

If Bellingham is not available in Jan I think they will have very little choice than to go after someone else in the interim as otherwise CL and the impact on the sale price could be severe. 

Part of me wondered if they were happy to put out the "Bellingham/midfield rebuild next summer" line in the summer as they thought that they wouldn't be here and they could get away without any further investment before they left. The alarming way we dropped off may have forced their hand a bit though. 

Conversely maybe they were waiting for the money to arrive before investing. 

Even if we have new owners who will authorise Bellingham and another I don't see the sense in announcing investment before Feb even if they are funding Jan transfers.

7 minutes ago, HBenn said:

If Bellingham is not available in Jan I think they will have very little choice than to go after someone else in the interim as otherwise CL and the impact on the sale price could be severe. 

Part of me wondered if they were happy to put out the "Bellingham/midfield rebuild next summer" line in the summer as they thought that they wouldn't be here and they could get away without any further investment before they left. The alarming way we dropped off may have forced their hand a bit though. 

Conversely maybe they were waiting for the money to arrive before investing. 

Even if we have new owners who will authorise Bellingham and another I don't see the sense in announcing investment before Feb even if they are funding Jan transfers.

Said similar to my dad earlier. If a deal is advanced I think new owners would give the greenlight to spend. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

My only concern with Bellingham is the club just going it's Bellingham and thats it. As for the midfield I'm not sure it will be Bellingham and another unless they sell Thiago or Fabinho

Bellingham alone does not fix our midfield problems.

If we end up only signing Bellingham we'll still be in trouble in midfield next season.

We need 2 minimum probably 3 in there across the Jan and Summer window.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, an tha said:

Bellingham alone does not fix our midfield problems.

If we end up only signing Bellingham we'll still be in trouble in midfield next season.

We need 2 minimum probably 3 in there across the Jan and Summer window.

I don't disagree

But the club will still see 

Bellingham,Hendo,Fabinho,Thiago,Jones

Elliot and Bajcetic as options. And with Thiago,Fabinho and Hendos wages what they are I'm not sure how much they'll splash out unless one or two go. 

I think we need 2 and as much as I love Thiago and even Fabinho I would look at possibly moving both on. If selling both of them bought you a Caicedo,Rice, Fernandes then I think the two for 1 is probably worth it in the long term

I hope someone (anyone) signs him on the 1st of January as I'm absolutely fucking sick of hearing about him.

All this shite about him being the best midfielder in the World after good games against Iran and a depleted Senegal side as well, people need to calm the fuck down. England have faced one well organised team and he never got a kick of the ball.

I'm sure he will become a very good player but honestly, this has been the most tedious transfer saga in our history & there is plenty of fucking competition.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I don't disagree

But the club will still see 

Bellingham,Hendo,Fabinho,Thiago,Jones

Elliot and Bajcetic as options. And with Thiago,Fabinho and Hendos wages what they are I'm not sure how much they'll splash out unless one or two go. 

I think we need 2 and as much as I love Thiago and even Fabinho I would look at possibly moving both on. If selling both of them bought you a Caicedo,Rice, Fernandes then I think the two for 1 is probably worth it in the long term

We've got ourselves into a terrible state in midfield and we have to sort it in the next two windows - if we don't we can kiss goodbye to our place as european cup regulars and as challengers for major honours.

Hopefully the club can see this and do what is needed.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Said similar to my dad earlier. If a deal is advanced I think new owners would give the greenlight to spend. 

Yes, hopefully it is much more advanced than is being let on publically. 

There are plenty of things that make you wonder if it has been going on behind the scenes for quite a while, the lack of activity in the summer, the reluctance to spend any money whatsoever at the end of the window, the supposed desire to address issues AFTER the world cup. 

The issues we have faced for the last few months (and last season) were entirely predictable by even us fans. I cannot imagine that Jürgen and FSG have literally just woken up to the self sufficiency model isn't working. 

Basically the way in which, inspite of all of our medical department and data guys, this situation has been allowed to develop. Perhaps ever since the EFL debacle the owners started to make movements behind the scenes and due to the size of the deals it's just coming to conclusion now. 

If the club announced it before Jan though the new owners would get rinsed in Jan. Desperate for a midfielder, post WC and new owners. Couldn't have a worst negotiating position. 

Maybe all coincidental and we take another 9-12 months to conclude but you would hope not. 

I'm all in on Bellingham, he has the look of a player that will physically dominate games, has a look of Gerrard on peds about him.

In other new Rice has fallen back into the English hype machine category. He's a player for teams that don't have the ball, his performance before England took the lead was shameful, couldn't make himself any less available for the ball if he tried.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I hope someone (anyone) signs him on the 1st of January as I'm absolutely fucking sick of hearing about him.

All this shite about him being the best midfielder in the World after good games against Iran and a depleted Senegal side as well, people need to calm the fuck down. England have faced one well organised team and he never got a kick of the ball.

I'm sure he will become a very good player but honestly, this has been the most tedious transfer saga in our history & there is plenty of fucking competition.

I've fawned over Bellingham for the last year, but I was careful not to big him up too much before the world cup because it's easy for a 19 year old to get overwhelmed by expectation, especially an English player.  But I'm not having the 'easy' claim, Senegal were decent and looked the better side until the first goal.  

Bellingham has more to his game than Pogba did at the same age.  Similar young players in many ways, especially physically, Bellingham is a proper athlete, a Kyle Walker of a specimen, that opens up every position in midfield to him.  Technically he's class, he has vision, he has confidence, he has a team ethic but is capable of being a matchwinner.  Added to that, he seems a decent and humble lad.  He ticks every box for me, and getting him training alongside Thiago and Hendo would be brilliant for him but also sets a tone for the British contingent in the team.  Hopefully he can have a positive effect on the development of Jones, Elliott, Gomez, Ramsey, Carvalho and Doak, fused with the experience of Hendo, Trent, Robbo, Milner.  

I'm a believer in making your own culture that self-regulates and improves through mutual respect and camaraderie.  You need leaders for that, and he's a genuine leader for years to come.   That's why I'd geg off this England group, keep tabs on Saka, Rice, Bowen, Toney, and a couple more, build a tight group. 

7 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I've fawned over Bellingham for the last year, but I was careful not to big him up too much before the world cup because it's easy for a 19 year old to get overwhelmed by expectation, especially an English player.  But I'm not having the 'easy' claim, Senegal were decent and looked the better side until the first goal.  

Bellingham has more to his game than Pogba did at the same age.  Similar young players in many ways, especially physically, Bellingham is a proper athlete, a Kyle Walker of a specimen, that opens up every position in midfield to him.  Technically he's class, he has vision, he has confidence, he has a team ethic but is capable of being a matchwinner.  Added to that, he seems a decent and humble lad.  He ticks every box for me, and getting him training alongside Thiago and Hendo would be brilliant for him but also sets a tone for the British contingent in the team.  Hopefully he can have a positive effect on the development of Jones, Elliott, Gomez, Ramsey, Carvalho and Doak, fused with the experience of Hendo, Trent, Robbo, Milner.  

I'm a believer in making your own culture that self-regulates and improves through mutual respect and camaraderie.  You need leaders for that, and he's a genuine leader for years to come.   That's why I'd geg off this England group, keep tabs on Saka, Rice, Bowen, Toney, and a couple more, build a tight group. 

Nice one, thanks. Reading more stuff about how amazing he is was exactly what I was after.