You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Homelessness

Anubis

We’ve already copied the no sleep benches and spikes in doorways, so it will only be a matter of time before we get this, especially given the qualities of the current Tory leadership candidates. Chilling, what is happening in Missouri.

As somebody points out underneath, they can ship them off to private prisons, pay mates running them keep them, the prisons can use them as cheap labour, and as felons they lose the right to vote. Who says your worthless as a homeless person? You have worth - just not as a human being.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Anubis said:

As somebody points out underneath, they can ship them off to private prisons, pay mates running them keep them, the prisons can use them as cheap labour, and as felons they lose the right to vote. Who says your worthless as a homeless person? You have worth - just not as a human being.

The next step is 'they are costing us too much.' The step after that is extermination. 

8 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

And if you can’t, just stop harder. Just, like, be rich. 

How repulsive is it that homelessness even exists in 2022 and that the political class actively avoid doing anything about it? Humans: a bunch of sick apes. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

How repulsive is it that homelessness even exists in 2022 and that the political class actively avoid doing anything about it? Humans: a bunch of sick apes. 

It’s crazy. If we were the 98th economy on the planet, and had no resources to get ourselves out of it, you could make an argument that we couldn’t afford it. We are a £2 Trillion pound economy. Trillion. People - I mean humans - can’t picture that number very well. So here’s another way of looking at it. 

1 million seconds = 11 days. 
1 billion seconds = 31 years. 
1 trillion seconds = 31,688 years. 

A 2 trillion pound economy and people still have to live in fucking doorways, or have to choose between heating and eating. The system is so beyond broken. 

• Upvote 1

Probably a good time to raise awareness of StreetLink that "exists to help end rough sleeping by enabling members of the public to connect people sleeping rough with the local services that can support them". 

Used it numerous times when I've been out and about. There's an app on your phone and I'd encourage anyone to download it and just have it handy. 

We ask you to provide the following information:
1) A specific location for the rough sleeping site.You can do this by using a map to pinpoint the exact location and then providing a written description of the location.
2) Details of the time that the rough sleeper has been seen at the location.
3) Any information about the rough sleeper that will help find them (gender, approximate age, what the person looks like, what they are wearing).
You will receive details of the action the local authority normally takes when they are told someone is sleeping rough in their area and an update on what has happened as a result of your alert within 10 working days if you have requested it.

Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.precedent.streetlink

iOS app: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/streetlink/id587543230#38;ign-mpt=uo%3D4

• Upvote 3

It really can happen to any of us. Even the fuckers who judge those who’ve ended up that way, for reasons they know nothing about.

Same goes for those that create policies that contribute to the problem, or cut funding from services designed to give the homeless a hand up, or stop them from becoming that way in the first place. 

Like mental health provision, and of course this is often a contributory factor or output of, it’s a fucking national disgrace that shames us all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

We’ve already copied the no sleep benches and spikes in doorways, so it will only be a matter of time before we get this, especially given the qualities of the current Tory leadership candidates. Chilling, what is happening in Missouri.

You spend any time in Manchester, Paul?

Regional/football bullshit aside, I’ve never seen anything like it. Moved there from Edinburgh and was shocked at how many unhoused people you see smack bang in the city centre.

26 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

You spend any time in Manchester, Paul?

Regional/football bullshit aside, I’ve never seen anything like it. Moved there from Edinburgh and was shocked at how many unhoused people you see smack bang in the city centre.

It's horrible. That underpass near piccadily station is like skid row. 

Haven’t spent any time there apart from court in a while. One Christmas a couple of years ago, I did go to deliver a present to my mum’s  mate who was on one of those hotel Christmas dinner jollies by herself. Having lived and worked there for a period in the late 90s I was shocked by the large number of homeless camping in the streets around the hotel. It was never like that when I was there virtually full-time.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Haven’t spent any time there apart from court in a while. One Christmas a couple of years ago, I did go to deliver a present to my mum’s  mate who was on one of those hotel Christmas dinner jollies by herself. Having lived and worked there for a period in the late 90s I was shocked by the large number of homeless camping in the streets around the hotel. It was never like that when I was there virtually full-time.

Mate, not only the city centre, but even where they have the BBC up is just so tragic.

It’s obvious the damage Thatcher did to the north of this country and I don’t think we can talk about homelessness without mentioning her election - they’re intertwined.

• Upvote 1

I’ll be goddamned, as well, if I’ll listen to the least crazy prime ministerial candidate explain how we wants to back to the worst, most damaging period this country has ever had.

If Thatcher had been elected instead Atlee, after the president war, capitalism would have fallen in this country.

11 hours ago, Edward. said:

The Vacrancy Act which is to be scrapped already makes it illegal to rough sleep in this country. Or in fact be street homeless.

Much maligned Act, actually. Do you know that if you apprehend a homeless begger you can be rewarded up to the sum of five shillings?

1 minute ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Much maligned Act, actually. Do you know that if you apprehend a homeless begger you can be rewarded up to the sum of five shillings?

Claim the money and then give it to the homeless person. Maybe if that money went towards building more social housing it would alleviate some of the problem.