You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

He has very little composure in front of goal, everything reaction seems to be instinctive rather than thought through. The effort last night after Gakpo's run was a first hit on the run when it probably called for a touch to take it into his stride before shooting. Maybe he will learn to bring more composure to his game but that might actually blunt his effectiveness? It's his unpredictable nature that makes him a fascinating watch. 

Have to disagree with that. The way it was rolled to him, coupled with the angle, made it perfect to hit first time, aiming to curl it towards the far post.

Assuming I'm not thinking of a different shot to you.

3 hours ago, Original202 said:

I think defenders would be more bothered about him getting past them if there was a consistent end product. If he beats them and ends up one v one against the keeper I doubt they’re too bothered.

“The goals will come” people keep saying.

When? There isn’t going to be some magical change, he can run fast (for now) but he isn’t a prolific finisher.

He had the best goals per minutes ratio in the big European leagues last season. 

4 hours ago, El Rojo said:

The challenge is creating a bit of space for himself, Salah and Gakpo to exploit. Hilarious that a Dyche team left gaping acres free behind them at a set-piece.

While they’ll be defensively solid as an Ancelotti team is, at least Real will come out and play against us, which in some ways we’ll find easier than trying to break down Nottingham Forest.

this is a good point.  While we're in recovery, it quite suits us to be the underdog.  

Real Madrid actually haven't looked very defensively solid at all this season. Osasuna, who are ninth in La Liga, have only conceded two more than them. It's Barcelona who are rock solid in Spain this year.

We'll get plenty of chances against them. Sadly, far fewer than they will against us, and Benzema is better than any of our forwards. 

24 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who told you that?

Klopp described him as a 9 who can also play on the wing in comparison to Mane who was a winger who could also play as a 9 (coupled with various comments and comparisons with other, more traditional, strikers like Lewandowski).

As a 9 Nunez is completely different profile to more central deeper lying 9's we've used to create space for the wide forwards in the past so it stands to reason that if we signed him, and played him, as a 9 then the system would have to change to accommodate him (there was nothing in his game up to that point that suggested he could come in and play the false nine)

This season we've seen our wide forwards act more like wingers (Salah has played wider and Diaz is a naturally wider player than Mane was) to create space for him and have looked far less comfortable upfront when he's been the forward than when Firmino has (naturally given the relatively short time he's been at the club).

Since Gakpo has arrived we've shifted back to playing a deeper 9 and moved Nunez back out to the wing, presumably, to bring back some level of comfort in a season where we've struggled with performances.

4 hours ago, Original202 said:

I think defenders would be more bothered about him getting past them if there was a consistent end product. If he beats them and ends up one v one against the keeper I doubt they’re too bothered.

“The goals will come” people keep saying.

When? There isn’t going to be some magical change, he can run fast (for now) but he isn’t a prolific finisher.

He has 6 or 7 already and numerous assists. The goals are there,it's just the consistency. He's a top player and Klopp knows this yet internet whoppers refuse to see it. I know whose view I take.

• Upvote 1

We got a good glimpse of the future with both Darwin and Cody last night. Big men busting forward with confidence and speed. If Mo had not been on the pitch, Cody would have put that shot away in support of Darwin - he not only kept up with Mo, he just about outpaced him.

On 15/02/2023 at 06:27, Red Shift said:

We got a good glimpse of the future with both Darwin and Cody last night. Big men busting forward with confidence and speed. If Mo had not been on the pitch, Cody would have put that shot away in support of Darwin - he not only kept up with Mo, he just about outpaced him.

Pickford obviously didn't think Mo was on the pitch.

I'm a warm-up guy, Darwin looked lethal in the warm-up routine. Everything was struck clean and powerful. He'd been a bit snatchy the last couple of times I've seen him. Mo on the hand has been the most consistent finisher in the warm-up I've ever seen. He was dreadful on Monday night, scuffed shots straight at the keeper, little dribbley ones rolling wide, at one stage I was shouting at Adrian to let him score, that's how bad it was. Get the 2 of them confident and we're sorted for top 4.

On 16/02/2023 at 08:07, No2 said:

I'm a warm-up guy, Darwin looked lethal in the warm-up routine. Everything was struck clean and powerful. He'd been a bit snatchy the last couple of times I've seen him. Mo on the hand has been the most consistent finisher in the warm-up I've ever seen. He was dreadful on Monday night, scuffed shots straight at the keeper, little dribbley ones rolling wide, at one stage I was shouting at Adrian to let him score, that's how bad it was. Get the 2 of them confident and we're sorted for top 4.

Steady on big man.

24_57_dbc72544-3715-4c7f-a0d0-d3d95e9358