You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

• 1 month later...

I think he's looking less raw at the moment. More accomplished. 

For example, his goal on Monday, despite not being great touch, he was able to calmly slot it in with his left.

Earlier in the season, that would have bounced off his shin and he wouldn't have got a shot off. 

I want to see him get a run back at 9. Maybe if we completely blow European qualification he'll get a run.

• Upvote 1

Klopp goes on to say-

"It's about fine tuning and that is what we're doing. After this season there is another and that is already on my mind now. Maybe we can learn some things to use now, that's how I see it. He can play both, absolutely. He has to learn English. That will help massively."

14 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think he's looking less raw at the moment. More accomplished. 

For example, his goal on Monday, despite not being great touch, he was able to calmly slot it in with his left.

Earlier in the season, that would have bounced off his shin and he wouldn't have got a shot off. 

I want to see him get a run back at 9. Maybe if we completely blow European qualification he'll get a run.

He should get a few more minutes at 9 over the next three games with Bobby out

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

2 shy of Suarez's first season goal tally. Already ahead of Sadio's first season tally. People who slag Nunez off know fuck all about football. 

He’s nowhere near the quality of those two though, that’s pretty obvious. His price tag is the main reason he gets so much stick.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

2 shy of Suarez's first season goal tally. Already ahead of Sadio's first season tally. People who slag Nunez off know fuck all about football. 

In case Darwin is logged on-

2 por debajo del recuento de goles de la primera temporada de Suárez. Ya por delante del recuento de la primera temporada de Sadio. La gente que critica a Núñez sabe una mierda de fútbol.

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Klopp is limiting his playing time, not playing him in the middle and candidly commenting on some of his weaknesses. I assume he knows fuck all.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp is limiting his playing time, not playing him in the middle and candidly commenting on some of his weaknesses. I assume he knows fuck all.

Quite why I'm responding to you I don't know but Klopp has spent more time praising him. Are you just going to ignore that bit? 

Don't get this English thing with South American players. Diaz can still barely string a sentence together after living and working in Liverpool for 15 months. It's not like you are playing in, I don't know, the Turkish league and who knows if you will ever have any use for the language after you've left. Bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Quite why I'm responding to you I don't know but Klopp has spent more time praising him. Are you just going to ignore that bit? 

What kind of response is this, haha. He's obviously not gonna criticize any player all the time. 

People, and especially you, are so insecure about this. You don't seem to be able to separate criticism and the losers, who the minute we signed him, called him the next Andy Carroll because he had a bad pre-season game. You seem to always bring up you didn't want us to sign Salah, so I imagine you have a modicum of self-awareness. You can also us that when discussing Nunez and not just cry everytime someone says something you don't like about him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What kind of response is this, haha. He's obviously not gonna criticize any player all the time. 

People, and especially you, are so insecure about this. You don't seem to be able to separate criticism and the losers, who the minute we signed him, called him the next Andy Carroll because he had a bad pre-season game. You seem to always bring up you didn't want us to sign Salah, so I imagine you have a modicum of self-awareness. You can also us that when discussing Nunez and not just cry everytime someone says something you don't like about him.

Whopper. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

That confirms what it's seemed like. We've been bandaid-ing it in attack because it hasn't worked with him in the middle. 

You can read it like that if you want. Or you can read it like I did, the midfield is fucking shite and we can't get away with what he does as a 9 with this midfield. He'll be here next season. Half the midfield won't. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You can read it like that if you want. Or you can read it like I did, the midfield is fucking shite and we can't get away with what he does as a 9 with this midfield. He'll be here next season. Half the midfield won't. 

I don't really disagree with that. Besides some moments of frustration or sarcastic comments about his weaknesses here and there, I don't have a massive problem with him. My worry with him has always been years down the line, can he be complete enough where we can play him every game up front in a world class team, playing good football. 

When Klopp is clearly saying he isn't good off ball yet and you see he's not very good in the build-up, those things are worrying. If he doesn't vastly improve those things, he will need to be a close to Haaland-level goalscorer to make up for it. That's the thing. He does look like he could be a tremendous goalscorer, I don't doubt that.

• Upvote 2

It is beyond obvious that we have found ourselves in a make and do situation with him this season - he like so much of the team has been impacted tactically, structurally, and in his case positionally by the total dysfunction caused by our midfield problems and the knock on effects that have been both attempted to be mitigated and caused.

The question is whether we want him to end up playing as a 9 or a false 9/10 role - if we are going to be playing with a 9 he's about as good an option as it gets, and IMO will score a fucking boat load of goals for us.. If long term we are not then we shouldn't have bought him and his future lies elsewhere.

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't really disagree with that. Besides some moments of frustration or sarcastic comments about his weaknesses here and there, I don't have a massive problem with him. My worry with him has always been years down the line, can he be complete enough where we can play him every game up front in a world class team, playing good football. 

When Klopp is clearly saying he isn't good off ball yet and you see he's not very good in the build-up, those things are worrying. If he doesn't vastly improve those things, he will need to be a close to Haaland-level goalscorer to make up for it. That's the thing. He does look like he could be a tremendous goalscorer, I don't doubt that.

Yeah, I mostly agree with that and I do think as an out and out 9, he could get near haaland level scoring. But I don't think klopp cares if he can play every game. You heard that in the interview today, where he talked about Darwin is different to the rest. I think klopp embraces his difference. When we fix the midfield, nobody will be worried about Darwin, as he'll either be smashing shitloads of goals as a 9 or he'll be one the best impact sub, because he'll become the plan b. But because we've had so many injuries in attack and what's gone on in midfield, nobody can see that plan in action - he's had to play left, because we've had 3 forwards fit for over a 3rd of the season and gakpo has effectively had to play as a midfielder. 

The only real question now is can klopp get the players he needs with the budget those cunts in Boston give him. 

41 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp's comments regards the counter-pressing today were pretty telling, if you can't do the press and counter-press in our front 3, you're not starting the next game... It's why Jota has gotten several chances lately despite his overall lacklustre displays on the ball. Darwin's been losing the ball a lot when playing centrally, but not been able to win it back. On the LW he's been doing a few things well when on the ball - but his inability to press and counterpress has led to us being more open than Klopp wants. I actually think our press (or rather the lack of it) from the front is just as important to our failures this season as the tired legs in midfield. We've missed Sadio (and Bobby) just as much in that regard as the energy in midfield.

I actually think today's presser (and his answer to the question about Darwin) is as close to a direct criticism I've heard from Klopp towards player(s) not named Sakho. He throws in some praise as well, but I thought it was pretty clear that both Darwin and Salah have fallen below the standards required in terms of pressing.. The proof is in the pudding (i.e. him not starting regularly when fit) I guess. Had we had a better option for Salah he might have been benched too, even with his output. Whenever Klopp has praised someone for pressing, it's been Gakpo

Personally I doubt Nunez will ever be good enough on the ball/with his back to goal to play as a 9 in a Klopp system, but his directness can be useful on the LW and as an impact sub. He'll have to MASSIVELY improve on his pressing/counter-pressing (doubtful) AND his technique (even less likely) for him to start as a 9.

I have some sympathy for him not learning English, as this is much harder for players from Spanish-speaking people than almost all other countries (being  outside Europe probably doesn't help either). They already have their "world-language", and even if they are taught English in school, I doubt they feel they'll need it much. I guess @Paul is better suited to explain the nuances behind the different language "families" than me, but as an example it's much easier for me as a Norwegian to pick up other Germanic languages (English, Dutch, German)  rather than Italic languages (French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese).

I think Aguero never gave an interview in English and our own Bobby has rarely spoken it. Could of course be that they have some sort of language learning struggles as well, although I would be surprised if the club hadn't checked that out before spending millions and millions on foreign-speaking players. As Klopp said earlier today, you can't really give instructions in several languages each training session. It's the same here in Norway, although with a twist. Most sessions in the top divisions are being held in ..... English.... as most clubs have a few international players...

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, lebron said:

Klopp's comments regards the counter-pressing today were pretty telling, if you can't do the press and counter-press in our front 3, you're not starting the next game... It's why Jota has gotten several chances lately despite his overall lacklustre displays on the ball. Darwin's been losing the ball a lot when playing centrally, but not been able to win it back. On the LW he's been doing a few things well when on the ball - but his inability to press and counterpress has led to us being more open than Klopp wants. I actually think our press (or rather the lack of it) from the front is just as important to our failures this season as the tired legs in midfield. We've missed Sadio (and Bobby) just as much in that regard as the energy in midfield.

I actually think today's presser (and his answer to the question about Darwin) is as close to a direct criticism I've heard from Klopp towards player(s) not named Sakho. He throws in some praise as well, but I thought it was pretty clear that both Darwin and Salah have fallen below the standards required in terms of pressing.. The proof is in the pudding (i.e. him not starting regularly when fit) I guess. Had we had a better option for Salah he might have been benched too, even with his output. Whenever Klopp has praised someone for pressing, it's been Gakpo

Personally I doubt Nunez will ever be good enough on the ball/with his back to goal to play as a 9 in a Klopp system, but his directness can be useful on the LW and as an impact sub. He'll have to MASSIVELY improve on his pressing/counter-pressing (doubtful) AND his technique (even less likely) for him to start as a 9.

I have some sympathy for him not learning English, as this is much harder for players from Spanish-speaking people than almost all other countries (being  outside Europe probably doesn't help either). They already have their "world-language", and even if they are taught English in school, I doubt they feel they'll need it much. I guess @Paul is better suited to explain the nuances behind the different language "families" than me, but as an example it's much easier for me as a Norwegian to pick up other Germanic languages (English, Dutch, German)  rather than Italic languages (French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese).

I think Aguero never gave an interview in English and our own Bobby has rarely spoken it. Could of course be that they have some sort of language learning struggles as well, although I would be surprised if the club hadn't checked that out before spending millions and millions on foreign-speaking players. As Klopp said earlier today, you can't really give instructions in several languages each training session. It's the same here in Norway, although with a twist. Most sessions in the top divisions are being held in ..... English.... as most clubs have a few international players...

I agree- you can spin Klopps comments of course but I read it as he needs to press far more as a striker as its crucial to how we play as a team unit- and learn English if he wants to get better- or you dont play.

As you say, rare to hear Klopp highlight someones negative traits for all and sundry to hear

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, lebron said:

I think it will be difficult to ever play Salah and Nunez together and keep a solid base. Salah used to be the one who had less to do in terms of pressing and you can do that with one player. I don't think we can accept it if Nunez doesn't become a proficient player off ball. It's really difficult to make up for it if you have two such players.

The setup would make more sense if Nunez was replacing Salah as the major goal scorer and then you put two supporting players alongside him, but if Nunez doesn't majorly improve, it will take some real tactical finaggling to play those two, I think. 

• Upvote 2