You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

I never saw it with Nunez and still don't. Thick as fuck and can't be relied on. First out the door for the new manager, I would imagine. Diaz is the sort of player my old man hated. Flatters to deceive constantly with zero end product. Salah is done. Not sure what we do about him.

Honest question because im clueless, say we were to sell him this summer for 20-30m(id be shocked if we got 30 for him currently), given the cost of the player is amortised across their contract, does what ever remains of that cost then go on the current years/seasons balance sheet? 

1 minute ago, Tenfolder said:

Honest question because im clueless, say we were to sell him this summer for 20-30m(id be shocked if we got 30 for him currently), given the cost of the player is amortised across their contract, does what ever remains of that cost then go on the current years/seasons balance sheet? 

Simplisticly

If we buy a player for 100m he'd have a book value of 20m a year, after three years 40 million would be remaining, if we sold him for 50 million it'd be a +10m on the books, if we sold for 30 it'd be -10.

In reality (assuming the real cash had all been paid) we'd be taking in 50 million cash.

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

He's been slagging him off on the podcast, called him a coward and everything.

one-of-us.gif

He became a twat as soon as he cut his hair and started hanging around with his golf buddies 

10 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

It's not his fault what we paid for him.

He's good, but the sample size on missed chances, and how similar they are, is big enough I think to suggest he is fundamentally problematic.

Modern day Darren Huckerby.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Don’t be fooled by Diaz’ bluster. His end product is consistently below the required standard in a team chasing the league.

If thats the barometer to judge by then Diaz will have plenty of company  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tenfolder said:

Despite everything, I think he'd be worth a lot more than that in the current market, maybe 40-50m. 

Diaz would command a high transfer fee too, probably more than we paid for him initially.

Salah would go for a reasonable fee and hugely relieve our wage bill. 

I'm sure others want Jota and Gakpo out for various reasons. 

We can't get rid of everybody, though. Not in one window anyway. 

We were absolutely blessed with peak Salah/Mane/Firmino. There was always going to be a fall-off. 

On 20/08/2023 at 14:27, TD_LFC said:

The fact he was a Klopp signing is the only thing protecting him at the moment.

Joyce might have rung the death knell on Nunez's time at the club (although with hindsight and injury the alternative wouldn't have fared any better this season, 23 goals 9 assists the season we would have tried to sign him though).

He's going to need the new manager to have been an avid Benfica watcher for one season.

Although i've finally lost my rag with him. To be fair he's only dropped off in the last few weeks, during crunch time the most important part of the season which is unforgivable. He's one of the reasons we are where we are i.e., he got us into the position but is not clinical at the pointy end of the season. Im sure his goal contributions across the whole season stats stack up against anyone eles in the team.

5 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Although i've finally lost my rag with him. To be fair he's only dropped off in the last few weeks, during crunch time the most important part of the season which is unforgivable. He's one of the reasons we are where we are i.e., he got us into the position but is not clinical at the pointy end of the season. Im sure his goal contributions across the whole season stats stack up against anyone eles in the team.

He went 15 games earlier in the season then had a purple patch.

Putting the likes of USG, Toulouse, Lask and Sparta Prague to the sword has really helped him this season.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

He went 15 games earlier in the season then had a purple patch.

Unfortunately that's what he will be throughout his career. Purple patches with lots of frustration in-between. He's capable of great goals, he's done some fabulous assists but he is never a player for a serious club.

29 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Ouch, they're coming for him.

its like the reverse of that late era rafa period,when every player who didnt work out,was forced upon him,and every player who did well elswhere,was who rafa really wanted.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Joyce might have rung the death knell on Nunez's time at the club (although with hindsight and injury the alternative wouldn't have fared any better this season, 23 goals 9 assists the season we would have tried to sign him though).

He's going to need the new manager to have been an avid Benfica watcher for one season.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Ouch, they're coming for him.

That's really concerning, Klopp hasn't left the building and leaks to support their own ends are starting already. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, No2 said:

That's really concerning, Klopp hasn't left the building and leaks to support their own ends are starting already. 

Don't think it's that concerning really, if anything the players could do with a 'nobody is safe' style kick up the arse and you're not doing it to Salah.

I think it perhaps points to a higher turnover of players in the summer than might have previously been expected if they don't think they can improve though.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Don't think it's that concerning really, if anything the players could do with a 'nobody is safe' style kick up the arse and you're not doing it to Salah.

I think it perhaps points to a higher turnover of players in the summer than might have previously been expected if they don't think they can improve though.

It is concerning, we can sell the lad because he didn't deliver. Stig or Usher or any of his biggest fan boys couldn't argue he wasn't given a fair crack. We can do that without a blame game, the club has been water tight for a number of years, nobody benefits from these hit jobs. Edwards might think he does but he's wrong.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

It is concerning, we can sell the lad because he didn't deliver. Stig or Usher or any of his biggest fan boys couldn't argue he wasn't given a fair crack. We can do that without a blame game, the club has been water tight for a number of years, nobody benefits from these hit jobs. Edwards might think he does but he's wrong.

I agree it's not the best thing. Even if we end up keeping Nunez, it's an "I am the captain now" kind of media leak.

I'll be doing stuff now and the people leaving did bad stuff. Like alright, cool man.