You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

4 minutes ago, andyj said:

I think it's because we are playing with no pace if we played much slower yesterday we might aswell of just sat down on the pitch. It's like the intensity has been switched off and we are trying to play like an 80s Barcelona team and walk through teams

I agree with this, the pace has definitely gone. You'd need to be behind the scenes as to why but I thought we'd steam into Palace yesterday. Just never happened.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

But surely people have been saying that to him for 2 seasons now. I actually think he would be more beneficial to us coming from the bench for those reasons. Games like yesterday, him coming on in 20 minute bursts, get the crowd going and his brand of football would potentially work better.

I agree to a certain extent  perhaps a change in management and style next season might help him. I was surprised when we signed he didn't seem our type of player in my eyes but I love him to bits because parts of his game is what we were missing. I think think Jota starts the next game without a shadow of doubt Gakpo I'm still not convinced about.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Code said:

Nunez made 0 key passes, Salah made 5.

Nunez touched the ball 24 times, Salah 46 times.

Nunez pass completion was 62%, Salah had 79%.

Nunez wasted a sitter, Salah did not. 

Hahahahahaha superb 

6 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I agree with this, the pace has definitely gone. You'd need to be behind the scenes as to why but I thought we'd steam into Palace yesterday. Just never happened.

If we had steamed into them they wouldn't have scored yesterday we may have ended up with a draw but we would have been a point above Arsenal. Our best way to defend is attack its been proved so many times.

1 hour ago, Code said:

Nunez made 0 key passes, Salah made 5.

Nunez touched the ball 24 times, Salah 46 times.

Nunez pass completion was 62%, Salah had 79%.

Nunez wasted a sitter, Salah did not. 

and here was me thinking salah did fuck all,all game

stats eh?

52 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

But surely people have been saying that to him for 2 seasons now. I actually think he would be more beneficial to us coming from the bench for those reasons. Games like yesterday, him coming on in 20 minute bursts, get the crowd going and his brand of football would potentially work better.

there is defenitely an argument for that

59 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

His saving grace will be, if it's Amorim as next manager, that he'll have faced him in that one season at Benfica, has Gyokeres in his system now, and might think he can 'fix' him.

If we get to the end of next season and we're still looking at the same player with the same issues then not even his most ardent followers can argue he hasn't been given a chance and its time to make a change.

yep

think next season is a big one for him

2 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

As much as I love Salah, its a bit silly to argue he didn't miss sitters. He missed 2 sitters against the Mancs and at least 1 yesterday. 

The whole forward line is missing sitters so he is not alone. 

The chance yesterday was not a sitter, Im not talking about the mancs game. 

8 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

OK, I'll bite. Do you expect him to score the chance like the one he had yesterday?

I expect him to get a finish towards goal, he did, but a player blocked the shot before it reached the goal, it happens when defenders are doing their job, especially in crowded areas. 

Salah had no other options than to do what he did.

2 minutes ago, Code said:

I expect him to get a finish towards goal, he did, but a player blocked the shot before it reached the goal, it happens when defenders are doing their job, especially in crowded areas. 

Potato/Pottaaaato...I think he should have scored there. Like the 2 sitters against the Mancs, which you don't want to talk about. 

Like I said though, he is not alone, he is with good company of forwards who miss chances every 10/15 mins. 

20 hours ago, Code said:

I think Mo needs to get the ball in space, not just when he has two three players around him and not when our midfielders just want to pass the ball for the sake of the pass because they get closed down.

Mac Allister had a really poor game today, but with Trent back now and Mac Allister om a normal day we will start to release the ball more quickly, we will be able to switch play more and that again will make it more difficult for the opposition to crowd the area where Mo finds himself. 

The only time he really get any time on the ball these days is when he is hugging the line. 

This obviously is supposed to give our other players more space , it does as well, but they dont manage to make it count. 

This would be fine a year ago (or maybe even earlier in the season), but what Mo had in abundance before (pace), he's now woefully short of. That might be down to Father Time, the amount of football he has played the last 5-6 years, or his recent hamstring injury, or most likely a combination of those. Fact is, when we deliver the ball into space where he was a distant 1st to the ball, he's now either 2nd to it, or at best being immediately closed down. 

What your stats don't show is that his general play has been woeful for most of the season. We tend to lean towards him when attacking (which is to his credit), but the amount of times he's lost possession this year seems to have doubled (if not tripled) compared to previous years. Part of that is him receiving the ball in the wrong positions, but he seeks those positions because he doesn't back himself to get on the end of through balls like he used to (I think). I also think he's been an incredible asset for us during his time here, and he has for sure developed other aspects of his game. His passing and through balls to Diaz and Darwin should have resulted in more goals lately. However, if we are to continue with 3 up top, we need the two wide players to be rapid though, and that's not really his game anymore (or at least at the moment). I wrote something earlier on how his hamstring injury might be hindering him as much mentally as physically, something is clearly bothering him atm. He's much easier to knock off the ball than previously, and his sprints seem shorter and shorter.

Anyway, hope it's just a blip and that he'll get back to previous heigths. I don't think our other players are much too blame for his current troubles though.

I'm not in the "sell him, he's finished" camp, I just think there are warning signs that he won't be able to be a threat for us in the wide left position any more. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Statistically, Salah is an adequate finisher. Darwin is disastrous in that respect. 

there is no argument salah has been a phenomenal striker, I was just pointing out the different standards afforded to each player, based on yesterdays game.

17 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

there is no argument salah has been a phenomenal striker, I was just pointing out the different standards afforded to each player, based on yesterdays game.

There is no different standards, Salah could have scored, Nunez, Jones, Endo  and Jota should have scored.

27 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

What about based on the season, or the last two?

I understand why people want to boil it down to a discussion about just the last game because it's easier to argue the merits of Nunez if you can say 'well last game player x wasn't very good either' as a defense (as weak as that defense may be) but as a body of work it's hard to argue that Salah deserves leeway far more than Nunez does. and that's without factoring in the fact Salah has scored more, and missed a chunk of the season through injury/Afcon.

11 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

What about based on the season, or the last two?

I understand why people want to boil it down to a discussion about just the last game because it's easier to argue the merits of Nunez if you can say 'well last game player x wasn't very good either' as a defense (as weak as that defense may be) but as a body of work it's hard to argue that Salah deserves leeway far more than Nunez does. and that's without factoring in the fact Salah has scored more, and missed a chunk of the season through injury/Afcon.

dont there is any argument that salah has more "credit" in the bank.

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

Because it changes how they think. They start thinking about damage limitation for the second leg. It also boosts our confidence. When we score we suddenly transform into attack monsters.

Exactly this

The crowd also reacts and lifts the players. We have seen it loads thisbyesr when we go behind. The crowd us a bit uneasy and we equalise and every is lifted. We might not have win, but going there 3-1 even would be a different story than 3-0

Salah has been shite for weeks he’s just stat padding, Nunez has morphed into a very expensive Milan Baros/Djibril Cisse.

The chances we’ve missed the last few weeks regardless who it is, is just unacceptable.

Its actually fucking embarrassing.