You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

175 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Last season when we had Nunez, moved Salah wider to accommodate him then watched as he didn't perform and had to sign Gakpo to play as the 9 while we used Nunez as a last resort bringing him on at the end of games.

Hasn't Salah always played our wide as part of that attacking 3?

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

On the not playing with a traditional nine thing, that was sustainable with a generational trio of peak Salah, Mane and Firmino.

Doesn’t work as well now with the current crop. 

Jota is world class but is injured or recovering from injury 60% of the time.

I think Stig is under the impression that it's an intentional thing that Nunez isn't this monster goalscorer and Klopp is having him do stuff where he's playing an all around game rather than rack up goals. Either that or it's an intentional excuse because he's been so in on him. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Nunez isn't the most traditional of 9's, but he's absolutely a 9, and the goal (no pun intended) when we bought him was for him to score a lot. There's no doubt about it. He's not some Firmino type player, who was essentially a striker and midfielder all in one, who unlocked the wide players and created all sorts of space.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think Stig is under the impression that it's an intentional thing that Nunez isn't this monster goalscorer and Klopp is having him do stuff where he's playing an all around game rather than rack up goals. Either that or it's an intentional excuse because he's been so in on him. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Nunez isn't the most traditional of 9's, but he's absolutely a 9, and the goal (no pun intended) when we bought him was for him to score a lot. There's no doubt about it. He's not some Firmino type player, who was essentially a striker and midfielder all in one, who unlocked the wide players and created all sorts of space.

I know we signed him as a 9, but he’s not up to it. I still think he could play a role for us out wide but I like Nunez and in general I’m probably too loyal to our players anyway.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nunez is a no.9 and nothing else. You were right earlier, he is no way technical enough to play wide long term. He's a no.9 who will never be reliable enough for a serious side chasing serious prizes.

5 minutes ago, Planet Origi said:

Any chance we had of getting anything from the game went with him going off.

It's the rest that need to do better. Salah anonymous, Diaz works hard but doesn't seem to function as part of a unit it's all too individualist

Diaz is a far far bigger goal threat than Nunez

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

No. People don't think having statistically one of the worst finishers in the league starting upfront every week is a good idea, Stig. If his finishing doesn't improve quickly the next manager will bin him off. His attitude and work rate is spot on, and justifiably buys him time and support, but at some point he has to show more.

You hate fun 

Just watch the misses vs Luton, Atalanta and today

We dropped 6pts in them league games and Atalanta was 0-0(I think) when he missed. These arnt half chances. 

Then look at some of the others

2 seasons of the same finishing. The great one season at Benfica was the outlier

If we'd have spent the money on Isak or Osimhen we very likely win the league

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Just watch the misses vs Luton, Atalanta and today

We dropped 6pts in them league games and Atalanta was 0-0(I think) when he missed. These arnt half chances. 

Then look at some of the others

2 seasons of the same finishing. The great one season at Benfica was the outlier

If we'd have spent the money on Isak or Osimhen we very likely win the league

Pinning the blame on nunez for Atalanta is insane.

We were shite all over the park. 

Even today..Palace could easily have had 3..is that nunez's fault aswell?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

You only like him because he is a long haired hill roamer with a glint in his eye. A kindred spirit if you will. (Gaelic music plays with a view of sweeping rain soaked hills)

Exactly this. 

I don’t think selling him is viable, because we wouldn’t get anywhere near what we paid, so we’re in this for another season.

Still, you have to wonder how many sitters he can miss before the new manager decides “Fuck this”.

6 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Pinning the blame on nunez for Atalanta is insane.

We were shite all over the park. 

Even today..Palace could easily have had 3..is that nunez's fault aswell?

Small minded football fans always need a whipping boy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Small minded football fans always need a whipping boy. 

Atalanta again,could easily have had 4 or 5,the defence and midfield were atrocious..but it's nunez's fault we got beat