You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

5 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

From what I can gather, it's his performances in front of goal on the whole. Today and Thursday are just snapshots of what he's being doing his entire time here.

That's exactly the point. 

If it was a barren spell you'd say at least he's getting in position to score it'll come. This is 2 years. The reality appears to be his last season at Benfica was the outlier when he well out performed his XG of 15.87 to score 26. Goals in Portugal are like Holland and difficult to judge how many they'll score when they step up. 

Screenshot_20240414_233516_Chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, Smell The Glove said:

From what I can gather, it's his performances in front of goal on the whole. Today and Thursday are just snapshots of what he's being doing his entire time here.

Yes but people are arguing that Thurs and yesterday's results would have been different if he had put his chances away,despite other players wasting better chances 

40 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yes but people are arguing that Thurs and yesterday's results would have been different if he had put his chances away,despite other players wasting better chances 

I mentioned earlier I'm not a person to blame one player for games like Atalanta, nor am I a guy who judges game by game but where there is some merit in what some posters are saying, is that goals change games. There is no denying that Nunez has missed big chances at big moments in recent games, as have others, Nunez though, whether you like it framed that way or not, is our no.9, with 2 seasons worth of bad misses, some really bad. It's not the same as Jones running through and missing a one on one, this is a repeated failure on his part over a long period of time now. 

29 minutes ago, Code said:

Is this a Leeds forum or something, posting anti-Liverpool bantz tweets?

Loads of them are great saves and blocks. He does need to sort out those 1v1s with the keeper though.

He’s the best thing since sliced bread …. 

Nah he’s boss and I love him. Salah was far worse yesterday. Jota did fuck all but miss a sitter. Gakpo… fuck knows 

But Darwin is the whipping boy for some. So be it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I mentioned earlier I'm not a person to blame one player for games like Atalanta, nor am I a guy who judges game by game but where there is some merit in what some posters are saying, is that goals change games. There is no denying that Nunez has missed big chances at big moments in recent games, as have others, Nunez though, whether you like it framed that way or not, is our no.9, with 2 seasons worth of bad misses, some really bad. It's not the same as Jones running through and missing a one on one, this is a repeated failure on his part over a long period of time now. 

I don't think you will find anyone who would argue there isn't big question marks over him.

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He’s the best thing since sliced bread …. 

Nah he’s boss and I love him. Salah was far worse yesterday. Jota did fuck all but miss a sitter. Gakpo… fuck knows 

But Darwin is the whipping boy for some. So be it. 

Nunez made 0 key passes, Salah made 5.

Nunez touched the ball 24 times, Salah 46 times.

Nunez pass completion was 62%, Salah had 79%.

Nunez wasted a sitter, Salah did not. 

Just now, Smell The Glove said:

Salah did miss a sitter

No, the shot was blocked, if it was not I think the keeper would have saved it anyway. It was a ball that dropped for him, but he could not have done anything different than what he did. 

Just another one of the massive amount of blocked shots from us this season, there is a pattern here and it is a bit worrying, because its got something to do with our style of play. 

3 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

As much as I love Salah, its a bit silly to argue he didn't miss sitters. He missed 2 sitters against the Mancs and at least 1 yesterday. 

The whole forward line is missing sitters so he is not alone. 

The forward line needs a shake up and it's not just about missed chances either. I'd like to see Salah, Jota and Gakpo starting the remaining games, I doubt we will like but along with the missed chances it's just gone a bit scratchy, no cohesion.

7 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Salah did miss a sitter

To be fair Salah was hardly mentioned in yesterday's game and instead of his normal smile he didn't look happy . Nunez is just a scapegoat for many people but I much prefer a striker that tries than one that doesn't I think he just needs to stop being so pumped up and bring it down abit and he might find thd net abut more but to be fair the Palace keeper did pull off some very good saves yesterday.

• Upvote 1

His saving grace will be, if it's Amorim as next manager, that he'll have faced him in that one season at Benfica, has Gyokeres in his system now, and might think he can 'fix' him.

If we get to the end of next season and we're still looking at the same player with the same issues then not even his most ardent followers can argue he hasn't been given a chance and its time to make a change.

I love watching him play. And anyone pinning Atalanta on him needs to give their head a shake.

However the fact is he's got the lowest shot to conversation rate of all our forwards, 10%. If he had Jota's finishing ability, 25%, we'd win the league. He's not a whipping boy; the whole squad have been dogshit for parts of this season but big players need to step up and do their jobs, which he hasn't done. His profligacy has cost us the league. He's now a problem because he's not worth half what we paid for him but I'm fucked if I want to watch a other 2 seasons of him missing sitters. Cut our losses, get rid and buy a finisher. 

3 minutes ago, andyj said:

To be fair Salah was hardly mentioned in yesterday's game and instead of his normal smile he didn't look happy . Nunez is just a scapegoat for many people but I much prefer a striker that tries than one that doesn't I think he just needs to stop being so pumped up and bring it down abit and he might find thd net abut more but to be fair the Palace keeper did pull off some very good saves yesterday.

But surely people have been saying that to him for 2 seasons now. I actually think he would be more beneficial to us coming from the bench for those reasons. Games like yesterday, him coming on in 20 minute bursts, get the crowd going and his brand of football would potentially work better.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

The forward line needs a shake up and it's not just about missed chances either. I'd like to see Salah, Jota and Gakpo starting the remaining games, I doubt we will like but along with the missed chances it's just gone a bit scratchy, no cohesion.

I think it's because we are playing with no pace if we played much slower yesterday we might aswell of just sat down on the pitch. It's like the intensity has been switched off and we are trying to play like an 80s Barcelona team and walk through teams

15 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Atalanta pressed us from the 1st minute. 

Im not sure how being a goal up is somehow going to prevent them from pouring through our sieve like defence 

Because it changes how they think. They start thinking about damage limitation for the second leg. It also boosts our confidence. When we score we suddenly transform into attack monsters.