You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

20 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Those 45 would have been with Carroll and downing wouldn't they? 

Think you'd prefer the yts players.

Actually, I guess it would have been more Maxi and Dirk in that first half season. Then a mixture of Dirk, Bellamy, Downing, and Carroll in the next. Then we released/sold all our forwards over the age of 16.

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Actually, I guess it would have been more Maxi and Dirk in that first half season. Then a mixture of Dirk, Bellamy, Downing, and Carroll in the next. Then we released/sold all our forwards over the age of 16.

Ha, fair point. Suarez would have scored 25 if it weren't for Dirk running in and smashing all his placed shots in at the far post...

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Ha, fair point. Suarez would have scored 25 if it weren't for Dirk running in and smashing all his placed shots in at the far post...

I really liked that side in his first six months at the club. Still feels like a what could have been had Kenny not torn it all up in the summer.

32 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I would also imagine for his 45 appearances, Suarez played a significant number more minutes than Nunez. Nunez has managed just 53 mins per appearance across those 45, I can't imagine Suarez was that low. 

On 28/08/2023 at 20:56, TD_LFC said:

It was certainly sold as we need a game changer to counter the Madrid's of the world.

We're yet to see that put into practice yet though as we doggedly stick the the false 9 with two wide forwards.

We were 2 up at home to Madrid with him in the team and scoring. Unfortunately we decided to forget the defending part.

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Hadn't Suarez hit the post 428 times by this point as well though?

Darwin has hit the woodwork a fair few times too. At least one of them would have been a worldy.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

In a far worse side over a shorter timescale as well I imagine.

Worse than last season? And Suarez played 90 minutes virtually every week, Darwin is lucky if he gets a half.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I would also imagine for his 45 appearances, Suarez played a significant number more minutes than Nunez. Nunez has managed just 53 mins per appearance across those 45, I can't imagine Suarez was that low. 

Exactly, the minutes will be vastly different I expect.

So in conclusion, based on these numbers Darwin is well on track to become the greatest player I've ever seen.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, dave u said:

Worse than last season? And Suarez played 90 minutes virtually every week, Darwin is lucky if he gets a half.

Man for man almost certainly, Gerrard and maybe Carragher aside.

The reason Nunez has been playing less is a well trodden argument, some people think it's the cause of his inconsistency some it's a result of.

7 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Man for man almost certainly, Gerrard and maybe Carragher aside.

The reason Nunez has been playing less is a well trodden argument, some people think it's the cause of his inconsistency some it's a result of.

I wasn't talking about the whys and wherefores, just highlighting the difference in minutes.

18 hours ago, Moo said:

There was something on the radio the other night, think it was Monday Night Club on R5, and last season Nunez has a goal involvement every 115 minutes played, putting him something like 3rd in the PL for this.

People on Twitter and pundits on TV has said he doesnt score goals, meaning facts like that are irrelevant. 

5 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

People on Twitter and pundits on TV has said he doesnt score goals, meaning facts like that are irrelevant. 

You only have to read through this thread and look at who some of the anti-Nunez posters are to know that actual facts don't matter. 

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You only have to read through this thread and look at who some of the anti-Nunez posters are to know that actual facts don't matter. 

To be fair your assessment of Nunez has been almost exclusively based on how he makes you feel.