You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Toshack

dockers_strike

My fav player growing up, I went to Ninian Park as a kid to see him single handedly destroy a star studded Scottish side that included Hanson and Daglish. It was like a homecoming match to Toshack, he made his league debut there at sixteen, grew up two streets away where the family still lived and he scored the perfect hatrick, right foot, left foot, header. He quipped to a reporter after the match how his day couldn't have went much better 'I've got the match ball, man of the match award, plus King Kenny's shirt and I'm off for a stroll round me mams, she'll have my tea on'

Toshack is probably the only sportsman in Welsh history to be loved in equal messure in both the city of Cardiff and of Swansea. Taken into intensive care with Covid on our own government's insultingly entitled freedom day. Keep fighting big man.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Can some mods sort the thread title out, please.

Yeah. Realised my fat fingers hadnt typed 'Toshack' after the editable period had expired! It's doing my nut in seeing Toshask!

Please mods, correct the misspelling. Great to hear Tosh is on the mend.

On 27/02/2022 at 12:09, gkmacca said:

There's that famous time when he brought Swansea to Anfield after Shanks's death and, for the one minute's silence, he took off his trakkie top to reveal a Liverpool shirt. A top class forward who was peerless as a header of a ball and very good with his feet, too. And in this country he remains ridiculously under-appreciated as a manager, who was far more influential abroad than either Robson or Venables, and far better-engaged with the culture, too. Hopefully he'll pull through this. 

I had a season ticket for the kop that day and can still remember the emotion I felt when I saw tosh take his top off and was standing there with a Liverpool top on.pure class and respect 

On 11/03/2022 at 15:57, dockers_strike said:

Yeah. Realised my fat fingers hadnt typed 'Toshack' after the editable period had expired! It's doing my nut in seeing Toshask!

Please mods, correct the misspelling. Great to hear Tosh is on the mend.

Sorted it for you mate.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

I had a season ticket for the kop that day and can still remember the emotion I felt when I saw tosh take his top off and was standing there with a Liverpool top on.pure class and respect 

Hell of a game that day too,quite fitting for Shanks send off. Finished 2-2 and we were 2-0 down,I think? Terry Mac had a couple of pens too.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Hell of a game that day top,quite fitting for Shanks send off. Finished 2-2 and we were 2-0 down,I think? Terry Mac had a couple of pens too.

Yeah. Swansea fans started chanting during the silence for Shanks and Tosh gave them both barrels in his next home programme notes saying how they not only disrespect a solem occasion for a great man but had also disrespected him paying his respects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/03/2022 at 11:15, gkmacca said:

Phew, good news! In the spirit of Gosh it's Tosh:

Now that I'm free of the ventilator

The antibiotics I can leave for later.

Now's the time for a baked potater

"And a beer?" Yes, please - thank you, waiter!

Disgrace how that book didn't win that years literary award for poetry.

Great news the big man's on the mend.

Just now, Gnasher said:

Disgrace how that book didn't win that years literary award for poetry.

Great news the big man's on the mend.

He rhymed 'Barcelona' with 'sauna'. I will never forget that. Au-bloody-dacious. He also used 'smite' in a poem about a UEFA Cup semi-final. And why not - he was great in the other one. Get well soon, maestro.

41 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

He rhymed 'Barcelona' with 'sauna'. I will never forget that. Au-bloody-dacious. He also used 'smite' in a poem about a UEFA Cup semi-final. And why not - he was great in the other one. Get well soon, maestro.

'at first we might be apprehensive, but we are Liverpool we dont go defensive'

'Kevs playing a midfield role, but he'll still be looking for a goal'

'flying into Speak and my legs feel weak, just beaten Barcelona now I'm off for a sauna'