You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

19 hours ago, KMD7 said:

No wonder Ali was rumoured to have pissed blood after their fight. 

Foreman knocking Smoking Joe down at will like a wrecking ball hitting skittles remains one of the most startling sights ever in boxing.

Here he is strolling about with a cow on his back, look.

BF66D143-0E27-4A48-807C-3F94F3E149A5.jpeg

Arguably not a total fanny.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Foreman knocking Smoking Joe down at will like a wrecking ball hitting skittles remains one of the most startling sights ever in boxing.

Here he is strolling about with a cow on his back look.

BF66D143-0E27-4A48-807C-3F94F3E149A5.jpeg

Arguably not a total fanny.

Funny that you brought it up Ben, as I only recently found this version lately on you tube filmed from a different angle. Foreman's punches look even more vicious on this one (imo) 

Edit. Would help if I actually posted the clip in question! 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Funny that you brought it up Ben, as I only recently found this version lately on you tube filmed from a different angle. Foreman's punches look even more vicious on this one (imo) 

Edit. Would help if I actually posted the clip in question! 

Nice one Dec. Utterly freakish and absurd to watch that being done to him.

As an aside, I love how his corner briefly flirted with the idea of throwing in the towel while their man was effectively getting his head mashed by a sledgehammer. When would they have thrown it in? If Foreman drove a cement-mixer over him, Judge Doom style?

They really don’t make them like that anymore.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Nice one Dec. Utterly freakish and absurd to watch that being done to him.

As an aside, I love how his corner briefly flirted with the idea of throwing in the towel while their man was effectively getting his head mashed in by a sledgehammer. When would they have thrown it in? If Foreman drove a cement-mixer over him, Judge Doom style?

They really don’t make them like that anymore.

They really don't. Just before the stoppage you can hear someone screaming at the ref to stop it. Turns out it was Angelo Dundee of all people.

• Upvote 1

The Loneliest Spórt

'Tyson was the only person in the gym who out-worked me. Both of us were on the losing squad, trying to make the Olympic team. But I've never seen anybody work harder than Tyson. Not ever. I've never seen anybody who was an expert in all the things that he could do. To see him hit a speed bag, to see him hit hand pads, to see him hit the heavy bag or jump rope - everything he was doing was like a show.'

- Evander Holyfield 

FB_IMG_1678831652312.jpg

Watched the last round of the Dan Azeez fight on You Tube. He hits the guy and it is one of those where the guy is knocked out but on his feet like a zombie and after Azeez gets a slight dig in the ref dives in the middle to make one of the best stoppages I've seen for ages. What is his thanks ? He gets to try to stop the guy falling over for about 10 seconds while his seconds stay outside the ring yelling abuse at him for stopping it, and eventually the boxer comes round sufficiently to have a go at him as well. Not sure who it was said ' May God protect us from brave corner men '.

The Loneliest Spórt

'I got more out of being Heavyweight Champion than any man who ever lived. I knew some presidents and beautiful women and bank presidents who would have rung the burglar alarm if I'd walked in on them once upon a time.

But there's the other side. My brother Johnny followed me to Hollywood and turned to dope and killed himself and his wonderful wife. Would that have happened if he hadn't been the champ's brother? I loved beautiful women, but every marriage was a disaster. There was always money to be made, always, but far away from home.

The people booed me quite a bit you know. A story spread that I'd ducked the draft in World War I, that I was a slacker. The same people who said I was a killer, the same people, said I was a slacker. Well they were wrong. Wrong twice. And then there were the broken ribs, the ear hanging by a shred, the managers, the promoters, all those lawsuits. I guess I'm glad I was the champ. I'm almost sure I am.'

- Jack Dempsey

FB_IMG_1679387405989.jpg

• Upvote 1

What's the consensus on dubois? Assuming Usyk will have too much for him, but are people looking at him as a future contender, or is he a beneficiary of how weak the division is? 

I don't follow boxing closely so only just started to recognise his name with the fury/Usyk stories.

47 minutes ago, Pidge said:

What's the consensus on dubois? Assuming Usyk will have too much for him, but are people looking at him as a future contender, or is he a beneficiary of how weak the division is? 

I don't follow boxing closely so only just started to recognise his name with the fury/Usyk stories.

He's a decent heavyweight but he's got nothing for the top boys apart from a lucky punch.

• Upvote 1