You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

Just now, Jairzinho said:

The only thing that was ever going save him was Zhang blowing out his arse late on. 

Zhang moved his feet well, caught most of Joyce's punches with his gloves, and treated him like the heavy bag he is with that straight left. 

Pathetic cards. 

Yeah I’ve seen Zhang once before, can’t remember who it was against but he’s one of those fighters that does blow out of his arse but suddenly recovers. He does have stamina it’s a bit weird 

I think Joyce would have got himself into the fight and outworked Zhang late on but Zhang did his job and ensured it didn't get that far. Very impressive performance.

I think we'll see a rematch, Joyce's title aspirations are fucked now until he avenges this loss and even if he does, he'll be 38 by then .

1 hour ago, Elite said:

I think Joyce would have got himself into the fight and outworked Zhang late on but Zhang did his job and ensured it didn't get that far. Very impressive performance.

I think we'll see a rematch, Joyce's title aspirations are fucked now until he avenges this loss and even if he does, he'll be 38 by then .

Too many rematches these days.

I appreciate they are written into contracts more now - but for me it is bollocks - the so called lesser fighters don't get a chance to cash in on their wins over supposed better fighters.

For me unless a fight is really close or controversial then fuck all these rematches off. You lose you go to back of queue....you win you move forward.

In my book Zhang should be able to move on from the biggest win of his career and take the next step as a reward, that Joyce no doubt would have taken had he won - now as often seems to happen Joyce will get a rematch and if he wins he moves on to bigger and better stuff and Zhang is back to square one with no reward for his win.

I just don't like it - i know it is the way of it, but i have never liked it and it is for me a big part of why the sport stinks and is often stagnant.

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Too many rematches these days.

I appreciate they are written into contracts more now - but for me it is bollocks - the so called lesser fighters don't get a chance to cash in on their wins over supposed better fighters.

For me unless a fight is really close or controversial then fuck all these rematches off. You lose you go to back of queue....you win you move forward.

In my book Zhang should be able to move on from the biggest win of his career and take the next step as a reward, that Joyce no doubt would have taken had he won - now as often seems to happen Joyce will get a rematch and if he wins he moves on to bigger and better stuff and Zhang is back to square one with no reward for his win.

I just don't like it - i know it is the way of it, but i have never liked it and it is for me a big part of why the sport stinks and is often stagnant.

Wouldn’t the rematch be financially loaded in zhangs favour? Payday, win again and move on. If it’s not in zhangs financial favour, make Joyce wait.

7 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Wouldn’t the rematch be financially loaded in zhangs favour? Payday, win again and move on. If it’s not in zhangs financial favour, make Joyce wait.

Depends i suppose.

Maybe Zhang earns more by fighting Joshua next or Ruiz or Wilder next or even for a world title (those fights Joyce would no doubt be being lined up for had he won) and money aside (yeah i know, i know - we are talking boxing here) those fights are a step closer to glory than giving someone you have just beaten a chance to reverse a defeat.....contracts of course dictating.

I know he fights with his face but he was shocking last night. Didn't do anything different at all to change the pattern and his corner were less than useless. I think, like me, he had just seen the other lad look liik a Chinese David Price in every fight and just imagined it would be a matter of time. Would probably have been right if the eye hadn't closed to be fair.

Just watched the highlights of the Joyce fights. Guess this is what happens when your whole strategy has been that of Homer Simpson in the boxing episode. Letting your opponents tee off on your fave and waiting for them to punch themselves out is a bold strategy 

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Just watched the highlights of the Joyce fights. Guess this is what happens when your whole strategy has been that of Homer Simpson in the boxing episode. Letting your opponents tee off on your fave and waiting for them to punch themselves out is a bold strategy 

Some may say bold, I prefer mental.

His mum made me laugh shouting at the cameras that he shouldn't have been stopped, while he was trying to calm her down and agreeing with the doctor, She did have a point about the Dubois fight, when he had a worse eye for 10 rounds transpiring into an orbital fracture and nobody even looked at it to be fair, although I might be hoping that my mum would be a bit more worried about my health.

I actually like Joyce, which is a rarity for me in the present shower of British heavyweights. I hope he comes again.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, sir roger said:

His mum made me laugh shouting at the cameras that he shouldn't have been stopped, while he was trying to calm her down and agreeing with the doctor, She did have a point about the Dubois fight, when he had a worse eye for 10 rounds transpiring into an orbital fracture and nobody even looked at it to be fair, although I might be hoping that my mum would be a bit more worried about my health.

I actually like Joyce, which is a rarity for me in the present shower of British heavyweights. I hope he comes again.

I like him too, comes across as a thoroughly decent chap. I think his main concern was that he let everyone down, doesn't seem to have that much of an ego. Perhaps thats a problem.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

Couldnt find a stream for it so followed it on BBC text - not ideal

I bet you wish you did that for a lot of recent fights.

23 hours ago, Elite said:

That Cordina fight then was sensational.

Indeed it was mate, great fight, you had to feel for Rakhimov, he looked fucked after 4 rounds but dredged up superhuman powers of recovery, despite being virtually blind in one eye only to lose on a split decision.

No wonder he was emotionally destroyed after.

I thought Codina just edged it and only just, but a great fight. Both enhanced their reputations but left a lot in the ring in energy and life spirit.

The judge who had it wide Rakhimov was watching a different fight to me, but had it been called a draw, you couldn't have argued.

I had it about even-----ish. The knock down swung it.

Davis is exceptional to be fair. He's a massive cunt though but his power is legit.

Garcia did show a pack of heart though. The body shot didn't have him creased up, I feel he could have got up but didn't fancy it.

He was weight-drained though as well in his defence.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

He looked drained as fuck. 

The guy has fought once I think at 140. Before that he was fighting at 135 for most of his career. I don't buy it that he suffered so much by having to go down to his previous weight. If that was a big problem, he didn't manage his weight cutting well at all. Tank would have beaten him even if Garcia was a regular at 135. He's just a hype job, and is running from a division stacked with talent because he knows he has no chance against the other top guys there like Haney, Loma etc.