You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

I think Fury had some really good moments in that fight, but he doesn’t have any power. Paul just kept coming on. 

Fury boxed well first half of the fight I thought - stepped in and out well, footwork looked decent, good combos with fast hands. Pretty much in line with the other boxers in his family - even Tyson in his earlier days. He doesn’t seem to have anything more than nip in his punches though. Some in the later rounds were really empty and Paul just had the chance to wade forward even though he seemed to be feeling the pace too. 

It was better than I imagined it would be, but I did watch it on my mate’s tv by him propping his phone and whatsapping me, so I can’t be totally sure.

Also, the split decision was nonsense. Fury was clear winner.

I didn’t watch the end with the cringe fest, so can’t comment, but when that Logan got interviewed on a stadium mic between rounds and shouted out to fury that he was gassed or whatever “bro”, I was fucking struggling to not turn it off at that point.

How are these cunts lauded and worshipped so much by the younguns? Absolute gimps 

9 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Tommy Fury will be straight into talks with Canelo’s team about the September slot. It’s the fight that people want to see. 

Canelo the talking dog off Mexican TV?

Was trying to work out whether the BBC were being serious calling it ' The most eagerly awaited 8 round fight in boxing history '. I hope they were.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Canelo the talking dog off Mexican TV?

Was trying to work out whether the BBC were being serious calling it ' The most eagerly awaited 8 round fight in boxing history '. I hope they were.

Bet you can't name a bigger 8 rounder than this though. 

The Loneliest Sport 

'All I know is he put me down. I won almost every round before that. I had that world title. I went back to the corner and said I was fine. I got up for the last with only one thing in my mind. That's all I was thinking: 'Keep your hands up. Survive one more round and you're champion.' But the referee jumped in. I went back to my corner and felt my spirit leave me – through anguish. And then I collapsed.

Even when I woke up in a different body, I couldn't open my eyes. That was frightening. I can still hear my mother and the doctor today. The doctor said, 'Mrs Watson, I don't think your son will live.' It was like hearing them on TV. But I just lay there – like I was dead.

In my self-consciousness, I said, 'God Almighty, if you save my life, I'll give my life to you.' Nothing happened for days. But I kept asking: 'God, show me a sign. Bring some feeling into my body.' I was persistent. One day I felt a tingling and my hand just moved.

You can't describe it, but my breakthrough was when Muhammad Ali came. I knew it was him, big time, and he was so humorous. He said, 'You're a fine-looking young man.' Ali was real close and said: 'But you ain't as good looking as meeeeee …' I laughed and it was the first happy sound I'd made in months. It was like breaking a rock. From there I escalated. I was a big problem for the nurses – chatting them up.'

- Michael Watson 

FB_IMG_1677755147300.jpg

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I tried finding a stream for the Ritson/Davies card tonight. I thought there might be something watchable on the undercard.

There is currently tag team boxing about to start. What the absolute fuck?

That sounds boss. Does the referee get easily distracted, while 2 of the boxers fill another one in together, in the corner?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I tried finding a stream for the Ritson/Davies card tonight. I thought there might be something watchable on the undercard.

There is currently tag team boxing about to start. What the absolute fuck?

Gotta let both guys in together to do their finishing manoeuvre 

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/35798436/stephen-fulton-naoya-inoue-scrap-7-wbc-122-lb-belt

Stephen Fulton and Naoya Inoue will fight May 7 in Yokohama, Japan, for Fulton's unified 122-pound championship, Inoue's American promoter, Top Rank, announced Monday.

ESPN reported in January the sides struck a deal for a May bout that will be streamed that Sunday morning stateside on ESPN+.

Fulton, 28, is ESPN's No. 1 boxer at 122 pounds. Inoue, who is a major star in Japan, is ESPN's No. 2 pound-for-pound boxer.

Nicknamed "The Monster," Inoue unified all four 118-pound titles in December in Tokyo with an 11th-round KO of Paul Butler to capture the undisputed bantamweight championship.

Inoue, 29, announced in January that he would relinquish all four belts as he prepares to campaign at 122 pounds. A fight with Fulton will present an opportunity for Inoue to establish dominance in his new weight class right out of the gate.

Fulton (21-0, 8 KOs) isn't simply the best fighter at 122 pounds; he's also one of the best regardless of weight.

Fulton, who is from Philadelphia and has never fought outside of the U.S., is promoted by PBC, while Inoue is co-promoted by Top Rank, two promotional companies that rarely do business with one another. However, Inoue's Japanese promoter, Akihiko Honda, drives the direction of the three-division champion's career, especially when those fights are in Inoue's homeland.

Fulton told ESPN in June that he believed a fight with Inoue was "realistic" if Inoue moved up to 122 pounds in time.

"I don't shy away from big fights," Fulton said then. "A lot of people want to see [me vs. Inoue]; a lot of people want to talk about that as well."

Fulton and Brandon Figueroa were on a collision course for a rematch at 126 pounds after the WBC ordered the matchup in November for its interim featherweight title.

Fulton scored a majority-decision victory over Figueroa when they met in one of the best action fights of 2021.

Inoue (24-0, 21 KOs) is one of the most dynamic fighters in all of boxing, a fighter with blinding speed who uses angles, punch variety and ring IQ to make quick work out of top contenders. He was involved in ESPN's 2019 Fight of the Year when he pushed through a broken nose and orbital fracture to outpoint Nonito Donaire.

Inoue left no doubt in the rematch last June when he scored a second-round TKO of the future Hall of Famer.

Against Fulton, Inoue will certainly meet his biggest -- and toughest -- challenge to date. Fulton is a career-long 122-pounder who can box from both the inside and outside and often throws more than 1,000 punches in his fights.

Inoue, meanwhile, began his career at 108 pounds. Generational talents such as Inoue often aren't pushed to the brink until they continue to move up in weight.

"The real battle starts from here," Inoue said in January.

• Upvote 1