You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

As low as it got for you?

YorkshireRed

36 minutes ago, an tha said:

West Ham fans are bad bells

Bad shithouses, most are just Joey Essex types and all the old ones think they are extras in Rise of the Footsoldier.

There were at least 20 police officers and another load of stewards dividing the two sets of fans so there was no possibility of them getting filled in.

2 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I'll never forget what a feeling of liberation knowing that H*skey would be leaving gave me. 

That era did lead to one of Dave's top five gags , when after a dreadful game , Heskey said that he was his own biggest critic and Dave responded with ' Not while I'm alive , Emile '

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

In the period just before Souness was appointed we lost 3-1 at home to QPR. We made Roy Wegerle look like Pele, Ronaldo and Messi rolled into one. The most abject performance I've been in the ground for; a win would have seen us go top of the league. 

I'd agree with you there, Frank.

That period after Kenny resigned was filled with the unconscious and then increasingly conscious feeling that it might be over for us at the very top.

It started the previous season, with that 3-4 Palace defeat in the Cup... my own personal all-time low point (and being there to see it).

Then less than a year later that Everton 4-4, Kenny's last game.

And then - around the time of that QPR result you mention above - leading 0-4 at Leeds but only winning 4-5 in the end.

A defeat, a draw and a win - 12 goals conceded - that summed up our demise.

For someone old enough to recall the incessant glory, being knocked off the perch was the low point - and that was Moran's caretaker period in 1991 (which was unfair on Ronnie, RIP)

Subsequent embarrassing losses in the ensuing 30 years, well, they were the losses of a club that was a mere shadow of its once-great self.*

*Footnote: and in terms of those, I must give a special mention to a 1-1 draw with Wigan at Anfield, where Titus Bramble got the equaliser

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Bolton beating us 2-0 at Anfield in the FA Cup in 92/93 I think it was. That David Lee ripped us to shreds, it was freezing and as a young kid I couldn’t get my head round how quickly we’d become so shit.

Bristol City then heralded the end of the Souness error the following season; same round, same scenario of a replay at Anfield after an away draw. Brian Tinnion was the name of the match winner, if memory serves.

6 hours ago, Halcyon Days said:

It’s always going to be Hicks and Gillett for me. I know it’s away from the pitch but I really thought we were done as a top sporting institution. Still hard to believe it really happened when you think back.

As much as that’s the right answer, there was something about those on the kop stay behinds that I missed when they finally fucked off.

1. Chelsea-Palace debacle for obvious reasons, followed by...

2. Europa final loss against Sevilla. As good a run to the final as any... brilliant wins against Dortmund and United. A sensational opener from Sturridge, and we played the entire first half with a swagger of champions. At half time, I remember going out of the pub for a smoke in Stoke Newington, with loads of reds... and it was vibin’. 

This feels bad now because we are still in the nosedive and haven't pulled up yet. This reminds a lot of Rodgers last season - there was also lots of sideways and backwards passing when the team didn't know how to break a defence down. I'm pretty sure there was a midfielder at centre back towards the end of his tenure (Emre Can). 

Hopefully we'll see the nose pulled up sooner rather than later. 

15 hours ago, Enrique Ponce said:

That fucking fraud Rodgers, “resting” first team players in a Champions League tie against Real Madrid so that we were starting with Borini and Markovic up front at the Bernabeu. 

All to prioritise a league game against Chelsea which we lost anyway.

For all his cod Shankly impersonations, that veneered prick NEVER understood this club.

I’ve blanked out the Hodgson years altogether. Refuse to believe he was ever at Anfield.

Me too. Its remarkable but I can barely remember him being there. A testament to powers of resilience in the human brain. 

On 22/02/2021 at 12:32, Dave D said:

I remember being gutted losing to Genoa in the Uefa cup 1991 and thinking they looked like world beaters from what was a strong Serie A at the time.

We looked light years behind them technically. Which we were    

Atmosphere for the home game was something else. Was it Branco scored a worldie that night? Great night despite getting beat.

• Upvote 1

On 21/02/2021 at 19:24, Trumo said:

Anfield in the FA Cup has been the scene of a number of real lows. Souness' teams against Bolton and Bristol City were dreadful, as was Rafa's team against Reading. The worst for me was Houllier's team against Palace. We went 1-0 down and were chasing the game while being in the sort of form we are currently experiencing. Then Heskey was put through in the second half on a one-on-one with the keeper and had so much time and space to pick his spot only to tamely pass the ball straight at the keeper. It was an incredible chance spurned. Henchoz then shanked the ball into his own net at the other end.

We have had an awful lot of spells where we can do nothing right.

Weird, i was only discussing this my Mrs the other night as this was the first game i took her to. The weird thing about that Heskey chance was that he picked the ball up well inside our half as i recall it, we were in the Kop so seemed to take forever for him to get there from teh angle we were watching from. I said to the Mrs "he'll miss this" as he was always far better when he didn't have to think about anything, and lo and behold he did. Grim. Odd the way these types of things live long in the memory, but that's probably how i will remember Heskey. In terms of the Mrs, I'm amazed she stayed with me after putting her through that

On 21/02/2021 at 22:12, Doctor Troy said:

Bad shithouses, most are just Joey Essex types and all the old ones think they are extras in Rise of the Footsoldier.

There were at least 20 police officers and another load of stewards dividing the two sets of fans so there was no possibility of them getting filled in.

Wankers mate, mentioned it on here a few times but when they beat us 3:1 there in 2014 one of their cunt fans threw a banana at their own player (Sakho I think) right in the corner near us in the away end. The banana sat there for about 20 minutes until a steward quickly got rid. Utter cunts like all London fans 

47 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

This, in a nutshell. The 5-1 drubbing at Highfield Road in 1992 (?)was a particular low point at an away game for me. 

Think i missed this one but made it the year after for a 1-0 defeat, great.

Just been watching the 5-1 on Youtube, jesus we we're getting shafted by the refs back then as well. First 3 goals are a joke.

On 22/02/2021 at 12:30, BeefStroganoff said:

Now. Just now. Empty stadiums, terrible refs, VAR, double standards from pundits and the media.

No one gives a shit unless its Liverpool suffering. Ive started watching the WRC now, at least people can't be cheated and the sport is about pure skill and competition.

There have been one or two instances of people being cheated in rallying as well.

If you're pretty knew I'd strongly suggest checking out VHS Rallies https://www.youtube.com/c/VHSRallies/featured 

Lot's or retro rally action from when I was a lad and before the combo of Sky taking on football and Bernie Ecclestone fucking almost every other motorsport over happened so we actually got way more TV coverage.