You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ozan Kabak

VladimirIlyich

9 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Calling it right now, this lad is going to be one of the best players in our history by the time he moves away 13 years from now. He will be the catalyst for multiple league and CL wins. Absolutely brilliant defender.

Not arsed about the team he's come from, The lad is only 20, plenty of time to grow into  being our best ever CB. 

When Virgil was 20 he was finishing 14th in the Dutch league with Groningen. Before we bought him I remember thinking "why now? if our scouts were any good we could have got him years ago and saved ourselves £60m"

Well here we are, scouts have done their work and identified a good one early instead of having to throw £90m at Southampton in 2026.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, could definitely see Kabak, a player with Champions League and 55 matches of Bundesliga experience at 20 years old being an 8th choice CB, like Barry said we were getting. So right. 

I'm not sure he was being entirely serious when he said they'd be behind Williams and Billy the Kid.

And just in case he was, I bothered naming the 3 they'd be behind.

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

I'm not sure he was being entirely serious when he said they'd be behind Williams and Billy the Kid.

Kabak is a long term target of the club, we've been hearing his name since last summer. 

51 minutes ago, m0e said:

I think we've signed 2 players to cover Hendo, Fabinho, and now Phillips too.

No chance either of them start for us regularly this season.

Or possibly ever.

@Barrington Womble called this one right, me thinks.

I’m not sure I agree with you here. Hard to believe the club purchased Kabak with the intention of him behind back-up to our midfielders. Klopp will be looking to start one of them at least as soon as he thinks they’re ready. Like with any transfer they could of course flop, but I don’t think Klopp’s intention is to have Hendo and Fabinho at CB when fit for the remainder of the season.

50 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’m not sure I agree with you here. Hard to believe the club purchased Kabak with the intention of him behind back-up to our midfielders. Klopp will be looking to start one of them at least as soon as he thinks they’re ready. Like with any transfer they could of course flop, but I don’t think Klopp’s intention is to have Hendo and Fabinho at CB when fit for the remainder of the season.

Depends if they are any good in training doesn't it?  If they both look shit then Klopp has shown he will barely play anyone he doesn't fully trust.  If one or both impress him, then he might chuck them in.  

What's the deal with the Champions League?  Can we include the two new guys and Nat Phillips in the squad for the knock out stages, or is Rhys Williams going to be playing against Leipzig?

36 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Depends if they are any good in training doesn't it?  If they both look shit then Klopp has shown he will barely play anyone he doesn't fully trust.  If one or both impress him, then he might chuck them in.  

What's the deal with the Champions League?  Can we include the two new guys and Nat Phillips in the squad for the knock out stages, or is Rhys Williams going to be playing against Leipzig?

I agree with you, but Moe was speculating about Klopp’s intention, and my counter to that is that I don’t believe that’s the case. I don’t reckon Klopp at this point in time is planning to start both Hendo and Fabinho at CB for the remainder of the season. He may end up starting them there, but it’d be because the new defenders are shite (or not ready). 

Reading between the lines, the Marseilles centre back must have been first choice. As they had already sold a couple of their players, they could afforrd not to sell on transfer deadline day so Kabak comes in on loan. I wonder if the Marseilles centre back may still be a summer target... 

Seems odd to me that Marseilles would have passed on the 20m or whatever it is we're meant to have offered them for Caleta-Car.

Rumours are that Ligue Un is having huge problems selling their TV packages, which is going to be absolutely devastating for the clubs financially. Apparently the minimum bid wasn't met in the last round of auctions and they don't know where to go from here. Marseilles must be pretty confident that they can get more in the summer.

9 hours ago, m0e said:

If we assume our current 1-4 is Henderson, fabinho, Philipps, Williams - I think kabak is probably ahead of Philipps and Davies will be neck and neck with Williams. He probably starts behind Williams, but in training over the months left of the season he can move up. I don't expect him to get passed Philipps. If he can't get past Williams, he should probably retire from the game. Billy the kid isn't in the reckoning, never has been. He was a smoke and mirrors fella who looked the part who we hoped would never get near the pitch and we could flog. As soon as there was a chance he might have to be involved in real competitive games, he was blown right out.

With regards to Davies, you've only got to read klopps words yesterday, he was very careful never to say a thing positive. Even that wow wasn't surrounded with words of quality in the quote I've seen, it was just a wow, which could just as easily be construed as "wow, has it really come to this". We signed him in case we couldn't get kabak imo and commercially it made every sense to do so, as we'll probably be able to flog him for 5m or so in the summer. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

With regards to Davies, you've only got to read klopps words yesterday, he was very careful never to say a thing positive. Even that wow wasn't surrounded with words of quality in the quote I've seen, it was just a wow, which could just as easily be construed as "wow, has it really come to this". We signed him in case we couldn't get kabak imo and commercially it made every sense to do so, as we'll probably be able to flog him for 5m or so in the summer. 

"We see the potential really. We see the quality and we see the potential as well because he’s 25 and there’s a lot to come for him. I love a lot about his play. He’s a really good footballer, looks like a proper leader in this Preston team, good in challenges, looks football smart, can play different positions because he played in a back three and a back four and all these things."

Quite a few positives in that quote. 

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

"We see the potential really. We see the quality and we see the potential as well because he’s 25 and there’s a lot to come for him. I love a lot about his play. He’s a really good footballer, looks like a proper leader in this Preston team, good in challenges, looks football smart, can play different positions because he played in a back three and a back four and all these things."

Quite a few positives in that quote. 

I didn't see that to be fair. He still won't play! 

1 hour ago, aws said:

My bet is that we'll play Fab or Hendo most games alongside one of Kabak, Davies, Nat or Rhys in that order. But that will depend on whether the two new guys impress in training. 

I think in the short term, if we play a team who are strong in the air (say everton), I expect Philipps to continue, but I feel certain due to our long term interest in Kabak, he has to get some chances along the way (and he is apparently good in the air too) providing he's not shite in training (I wonder with all these games how many training matches they manage, I bet not many - but perhaps that changes in this round of CL games coming up, we should get 2 weeks off?). Personally I don't think Davies will get a match unless 3 of Philipps, Kabak, Henderson and Fabinho are unavailable. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aws said:

My bet is that we'll play Fab or Hendo most games alongside one of Kabak, Davies, Nat or Rhys in that order. But that will depend on whether the two new guys impress in training. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think in the short term, if we play a team who are strong in the air (say everton), I expect Philipps to continue, but I feel certain due to our long term interest in Kabak, he has to get some chances along the way (and he is apparently good in the air too) providing he's not shite in training (I wonder with all these games how many training matches they manage, I bet not many - but perhaps that changes in this round of CL games coming up, we should get 2 weeks off?). Personally I don't think Davies will get a match unless 3 of Philipps, Kabak, Henderson and Fabinho are unavailable. 

Yeah, will likely be Hendo and Phillips for now until Fabinho is available again. I reckon Kabak will then get games alongside Fabinho once he settles in.