You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Does anyone seriously believe that the election was rigged in favour of the Democrats? Trump has been setting up this exact scenario for months now telling the world and his wife that mail-in ballots are corrupt and open to fraud.

Don’t forget Trump got elected on a campaign of ‘draining the swamp’ and suggesting Clinton should be in prison.

11 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Hand counting of each and every ballot, with checks and balances  is why Aotea (NZ) has a gold standard election process. However, all the collected results are digitised now, obviously, which clearly is a package deal.

So what you are suggesting, is that a digital approach to vote tallying, is open to error? i think everyone understands and accepts that. In close races, you will have a recount which would mitigate this. In a race that isn't so close, the result isn't impacted.

There are additional checks and balances in place from a human perspective.

This election wasn't rigged. The NZ election wasn't rigged.

I don't know what we're even talking about now.

7 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

https://www.axios.com/trump-legal-battle-republicans-senate-gop-59e38b9d-de91-4054-985d-580c13a71e75.html

Scoop: Trump allies brace for 30-day legal war

Mike Allen
Mike Allen, author of AM

Featured image

Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

GOP leaders and confidants of President Trump tell Axios his legal fight to overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s victory — which they admit is likely doomed — could last a month or more, possibly pushing the 2020 political wars toward Christmastime. 

Why it matters: Most top Republicans have followed Trump’s orders not to accept the Biden victory, and to allow all legal options to be exhausted. That could mean weeks of drama — and, more importantly, distractions from the vital work of transitioning government for a change of power.

Axios is told an internal effort is underway to dissuade Trump from pursuing a blitz (with Rudy Giuliani as the tip of the spear) that could mean three to six weeks of legal challenges, discovery and rulings — at the same time that Biden is talking daily about a message of healing. 

• Some top sources tell Axios that Trump has no plan to call for national unity. "No chance," says a person who talks often to the president. 
  • A senior Republican who talks often to Trump said the president is "angry ... volatile ... disconsolate."

The backdrop: Alayna Treene scooped in Axios Sneak Peek last evening that most people close to Trump know the race is over, although no one wants to tell him.

• Trump plans to hold rallies focused on the litigation, and brandish obituaries of people who were recorded as voting but are dead, Trump advisers told her

The senior Republican said there's a real split in the extended inner circle between people pushing Trump to keep fighting, and those who are "trying to gently nudge the president toward giving in."

• The second camp, which includes the senior Republican, argues: "You have a real future as a kingmaker. Don't screw it up by going out in a bad way, leaving the brand diminished and radioactive."

The bottom line: Republican operatives told Axios they worry that Trump's scorched-earth fight will divert money from the real remaining prize for the GOP — the twin Georgia runoffs on Jan. 5 that'll determine control of the Senate. 

• A top Republican said of the legal fight: "It is a distraction. And a gigantic waste of time."
  • The person who talks often to the president said: "Republicans ... are very concerned about the Senate. Trump is not."
  • A former top Trump West Wing official said: "Surprise — it's all about him."

He won't walk off, not in his character. I hope he burns through the money for Georgia senate races and Democrats really push to win them. History is against them so all the help they can get is welcome.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I was glued to CNN, FOX and few others from Wednesday morning. As soon as he became President elect, I lost all interest and have not watched much since. 

I didn't realise but this indicates to me how much I wanted Trump to lose but being a Bernie supporter how little interest I had in Biden winning. Obviously you can't have one without the other, but Trump lost, nothing significant will change.

Madly Mike Party, talk radio idiot, said in the same sentence,Trump got 71 million votes so proves how popular he is. Biden did so badly (badly meaning no blue wave), because Harris is left wing, which proves how unpopular left wing policies are. 

Impressive.

I assume you're talking about Mike Parry. That fella is a twat of the highest order and a complete embarrassment to our city. The only thing I'm grateful for is he's a bloo. But he has the same level of mentalness to all of life as bloos do when you bring them onto football. 

2 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

That is fucking priceless. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am interested - you work in this field and in this instance it was no.

In what instance could it be yes? Because to be honest, it seems less likely now than any time in history.

I could be wrong, It’s a theory that is a work in progress, but it occurs to me that the actual counters of the votes are small cogs in a big system that (in the case of America) is made up of states, all added together to get totals. 

no single human counter or small voting place group of counters can ever validate the whole count. They are ignorant of the total result, and unless there is a specific recount, the count is done once only and then data based.

At that point, the software allows manipulation of the data as it travels up the into the cloud (or while it’s in the cloud) to be received by whoever needs to see it - media and officials on election night.

10 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I could be wrong, It’s a theory that is a work in progress, but it occurs to me that the actual counters of the votes are small cogs in a big system that (in the case of America) is made up of states, all added together to get totals. 

no single human counter or small voting place group of counters can ever validate the whole count. They are ignorant of the total result, and unless there is a specific recount, the count is done once only and then data based.

At that point, the software allows manipulation of the data as it travels up the into the cloud (or while it’s in the cloud) to be received by whoever needs to see it - media and officials on election night.

As we automate everything in life, there's always a chance that a single human error or software error can be amplified to create an enormous mistake. I would like to think there are some checks and balances in place to stop this happening though - and from some of the information we've seen from the the US election, that has happened, there's been issues, they've been picked up and rectified.

You are suggesting there are loads of unknown unknowns, which then suggests the checks and balances are not competent. As we are likely to see just about every marginal state in the US challenged in court, it would seem this is the easiest (possibly only) way trump could validly question the outcome of this election - prove the the checks and balances don't work. Yet everything his camp have offered to date have been perfectly explained and they're resorting to setting up a website to capture people posting in about irregularities. So this suggests to me they know they can't pick holes in the checks and balances and all they have left is hoping something sneaked by them or they're just after more propaganda while they find another way to cheat to stay in office. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

the software allows manipulation of the data as it travels up the into the cloud

Which is the equivalent of saying you could never figure out how much a global company made in revenue cuz there are just so many thingies.

Except you can drill down on every single thingie to the cent.

If it’s necessary, yes. Which is exactly what the Republicans are going to want to do over the next 7-8 weeks.

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I assume you're talking about Mike Parry. That fella is a twat of the highest order and a complete embarrassment to our city. The only thing I'm grateful for is he's a bloo. But he has the same level of mentalness to all of life as bloos do when you bring them onto football. 

That is fucking priceless. 

Yes, autocorrect. According to wiki he was born in Chester, but the fact he is a blue explains a lot about his lack of self awareness and logic.

I have only heard him a couple of times but I had Jeremy Vine on tv today and rightly predicted his slant on every question asked before he answered. Either I am psychic or he has a very predictable, being outraged, agenda.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

He's awarding something or other to young kids and he's inappropriately touching them. 

It can't be fake really, I've been trying to post it but can't. 

Who knows what's what these days. 

Ive seen some meme about it but no the actual video, now that you mention it

3 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

He's awarding something or other to young kids and he's inappropriately touching them. 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/aug/12/facebook-posts/fact-checking-pedophilia-attacks-against-joe-biden/

When we reached out to discuss the accusations, Biden’s campaign pointed us to a May 2020 statement that was issued in response to an Instagram post by Donald Trump Jr. in which the president’s son shared an image of Biden saying, "See you later, alligator" alongside a photo of an alligator saying, "In a while, pedophile," to his 3 million followers.

Andrew Bates, a spokesman for Biden, told the New York Times, "No repulsive, manipulative tactic will change the subject from how almost 90,000 Americans have paid for Donald Trump’s coronavirus negligence with their lives and how the booming economy he inherited from the Obama-Biden Administration is now suffering from depression-level job losses." The COVID-19 death count in the U.S., as of this writing, is over 164,000.

Trump Jr. later claimed he was "just joking" in a Twitter post, yet also repeated the insinuation by saying Biden should stop his "unwanted touching" and posted a collage of photographs of Biden with children at White House events.

Biden briefly addressed Trump Jr.’s actions shortly after, saying that what the president’s son was "trying to do is get something going on the internet" by repeating the claim often enough that people believe it.  

"It’s sick," Biden said during a Yahoo News virtual town hall. "But he is his father’s son."

15 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yes, those videos have been around for years. Not sure where you've been.