You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

19 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Are there really greener pastures elsewhere?

I've often thought people who emigrate overlook the problems in the society they move to because they're not in a sense their's.

The world is run by the same people everywhere.

In short, yes.

The more nuanced answer requires much more reflection.

I would go tomorrow if the kids weren't settled after everything they went through, and turned down jobs in Europe and Africa to stay.

18 months though is a different matter and we'll be gone agian, no plans on where yet, but not here is good enough.

We as a family had the happiest years of our lives away and came back to a grey, mean and downtrodden Britain that had deteriorated in the time we had been away noticeably.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I've often thought people who emigrate overlook the problems in the society they move to because they're not in a sense their's.

There's definitely problems elsewhere but other English speaking countries seem to have a capacity for self renewal that we lack. US presidents come and go and the pendulum swings, the Ausies have got a "Labour" government now haven't they?

We just go from Tory to Tory light to Tory again. We double down on it, the more they cut and pillage and shit down our mouths the more the cretins around us give them more and more rope to hang the rest of us by.

The yanks have pumped trillions into their economy, where as we're on one long, literally unending, austerity ride.

Politics used to try and sell you dreams of a better tomorrow, nobody even bothers trying that here now, they literally don't even bother. They just talk about "tough choices" while someone gets made a peer after going out the back with 50 million in taxpayers' cash.

This country won't even begin to turn around until it hits rock bottom, it's always been the case, it's wholly incapable of avoiding icebergs. Everyone just keeps dancing until we hit it, the rich people get in the lifeboats and the rest drown.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There's definitely problems elsewhere but other English speaking countries seem to have a capacity for self renewal that we lack. US presidents come and go and the pendulum swings, the Ausies have got a "Labour" government now haven't they?

We just go from Tory to Tory light to Tory again. We double down on it, the more they cut and pillage and shit down our mouths the more the cretins around us give them more and more rope to hang the rest of us by.

The yanks have pumped trillions into their economy, where as we're on one long, literally unending, austerity ride.

Politics used to try and sell you dreams of a better tomorrow, nobody even bothers trying that here now, they literally don't even bother. They just talk about "tough choices" while someone gets made a peer after going out the back with 50 million in taxpayers' cash.

This country won't even begin to turn around until it hits rock bottom, it's always been the case, it's wholly incapable of avoiding icebergs. Everyone just keeps dancing until we hit it, the rich people get in the lifeboats and the rest drown.

Yep, and we still have a way to go before we get to rock bottom, as unbelievable as that sounds after a cursory look at the current state.

Economically we're flailing and there's little, if any, respite anywhere soon and we'll spiral and be diminished as a nation.

We've shown ourselves up on the world stage as untrustworthy, which in this day and age in unconscionable.

Socially we've been retconned into a binary with utterly simplistic and ridiculous ideas on both sides.

We are being pushed around on the global stage and having rings run around us at a time when we are isolated and lacking real friends.

This is terminal decline.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yep, and we still have a way to go before we get to rock bottom, as unbelievable as that sounds after a cursory look at the current state.

Economically we're flailing and there's little, if any, respite anywhere soon and we'll spiral and be diminished as a nation.

We've shown ourselves up on the world stage as untrustworthy, which in this day and age in unconscionable.

Socially we've been retconned into a binary with utterly simplistic and ridiculous ideas on both sides.

We are being pushed around on the global stage and having rings run around us at a time when we are isolated and lacking real friends.

This is terminal decline.

It's bonkers to me that everything is falling to bits, councils going bust, and yet there's no end to the austerity. It was sold as a short term pain for long term gain, but it's not. At what point will there be nothing left?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's bonkers to me that everything is falling to bits, councils going bust, and yet there's no end to the austerity. It was sold as a short term pain for long term gain, but it's not. At what point will there be nothing left?

Our economy is about, conservatively, 140B down due to Brexit, and people are on average about 2/3000 worse off, that's not taking into consideration the interest hikes and other cost that are incoming, and that isn't coming back, if anything it'll just get worse.

Death by a thousand cuts etc.

Services will have to be scaled back as there's literally not enough to fund them, and then the rot will truely set in.

We'll just have to accept the new normal in a broken, grey and miserable nation that did this to itself by choice.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Can only speak for one country but issues tend to be social rather than economic. Spain is miles behind the UK and other Northern European countries regarding women's rights, how animals are treated, stuff like that.

When I tell people that we have nurses going to food banks, the health service is on its knees, and loads of pensioners can't afford to turn the heating on, they look at me like I'm taking the piss. They simply can't fathom how a country so rich can allow that to happen, and how the general public can continue voting for it. I assure them that we won't actually be rich for much longer anyway.

I'm pointing out the blindingly obvious, but the UK is a horrendously unequal society. I don't think there are many other wealthy countries where quite so many people are simply struggling to exist.

The world is run by the same people everywhere but the UK has the worst media in Western Europe and an almost triumphalist peasant mentality which turbo charges the problems.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

My sister and her husband emigrated to the USA 18 years ago. She's been back here a few times to see us, most recently in October which was 5 years since her previous visit.

As we were driving back from the airport she said Jesus, what the fuck happened here, it's filthy.

A week later as I dropped her off at Speke she said the best thing they ever did was go, the UK just seems like a third world country.

There's no heirs and graces with my sister, she says it how it is, and she's right. This country is regressing. Rapidly.

And there are parts of the USA which are as bad, if not worse. And lest we forget, you get cancer in the states without good health insurance you get to go bankrupt before you die.

• Upvote 3

Nice to discover that antisemitism is now acceptable in the Labour Party, provided it’s an MP who doesn’t lean to the left and because there’s a seat to be won in Rochdale.

It seems quite the about turn from the approach adopted and demanded re: antisemitism allegations under Corbyn’s leadership. And also from the approach adopted recently when left leaning politicians said something bad about Israel etc. 

A call for peace “from the river to the sea” or appearing on the same ticket as Ken Loach = actual action taken against you like a suspension/withdrawal of the whip/removed as a mayoral candidate. 

Saying that the 7th October attacks were an inside job and that the pesky Jews did it = hey, go easy on him, he’s apologised and that’s enough. 

If you were to be cynical, you could think that it’s never really been about antisemitism and was always about getting rid of people based on their political leanings? 

IMG_3738.jpeg

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

And there are parts of the USA which are as bad, if not worse. And lest we forget, you get cancer in the states without good health insurance you get to go bankrupt before you die.

I agree.

There are shit parts of every country and healthcare should be free for all. 

My point was the deterioration of the country in the 5 years between her visits.

The little close she lived in used to be lovely. Well kept. Now the road is full of pot holes with loose herbs and unkempt council shrubbery with thick moss on the footpaths. It's a dump. 

There are overgrown thorny bushes which have encroached into the footpaths forcing kids to walk the main road to get to school and the council do nothing about it despite complaints.

It's the same everywhere you go here in Skem. There is no policing, gobshites are running amok.I

We had to go to The Concourse, which is the town shopping centre if you can call it that the other day and a group of lads strolled through there smoking spliffs, this is an indoor shopping centre and there are worse places than this.

I've said it before, there's nothing great about Great Britain. Not any more. The country's a shit hole and it's getting worse.

The country has been run into the ground. The whole place is a shithole due to budget cuts everywhere. Our roads are no better than a 3rd world country yet we pay a premium to drive on them. We also have the worst, most expensive public transport infrastructure in Europe. The country needs a massive reset but i doubt Starmer has the bollocks or will to do it, his mantra is to be better than the current fuckwits in charge. It'll get him 5 years in charge but will he/it make enough of a difference to actual lives & reverse the shitshow of public services.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Bill Maher did a great bit the other day about America's version of these entitled whingers.

5 hours ago, Strontium said:

Bill Maher did a great bit the other day about America's version of these entitled whingers.

I'd say it's him that's being arrogant there. The gap in how people live in the states is monumental. 

There's plenty of folks who no doubt have a nice house, car, money in the bank, but there's also people living in tent cities in the woods, in the Vegas sewers, robbing stores just so they can be sent to prison for medical treatment because they can't afford insurance, or sending their kids to primary school with the reasonable fear that they may get their head blown off. That's before you factor all the truly bonkers shit in, like watching your compatriots line up to vote for a man who prompted your own seat of government to be stormed.

If you're in that demographic, I imagine there's quite a few countries you'd happily move to.

The idea that people should be grateful to live somewhere is bollocks, like someone was kind enough to let me in. My ancestors helped build the place, fought and died for the place, and they didn't do it so I could watch the country steadily get worse rather than better. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I'd say it's him that's being arrogant there. The gap in how people live in the states is monumental. 

There's plenty of folks who no doubt have a nice house, car, money in the bank, but there's also people living in tent cities in the woods, in the Vegas sewers, robbing stores just so they can be sent to prison for medical treatment because they can't afford insurance, or sending their kids to primary school with the reasonable fear that they may get their head blown off. That's before you factor all the truly bonkers shit in, like watching your compatriots line up to vote for a man who prompted your own seat of government to be stormed.

If you're in that demographic, I imagine there's quite a few countries you'd happily move to.

The idea that people should be grateful to live somewhere is bollocks, like someone was kind enough to let me in. My ancestors helped build the place, fought and died for the place, and they didn't do it so I could watch the country steadily get worse rather than better. 

I guess it's down to what you actually see / look for. Plenty seem to think leaving here to go to that scenario is escaping a shit hole. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's met plenty of yanks who've done the opposite because of those issues you mention.

I'm not saying this country's great, far from it, but I think there's often a sort of middle class escapism about emigrating, leaving to a place that often isn't much better (few go to Norway, for example) but where you can more easily ignore certain issues. 

Maybe it just cuts deeper when it's your own society that's going to shit.

20240212_121859.jpg

They've wheeled this fella out again. Stuck him on their ad and pointed to his article in the Times. Can't read it as (fortunately) it blocks me after the first paragraph as I've used up my two freebies. I didn't really care either way but I was wondering what made him join the Tories in the first place. If he's been a tory member for 40 years I take it he joined around 84 when unemployment was over 3 million and Thatcher was at her peak after the Falklands. He obviously supported the Tories through the Cameron/Osborne austerity years, Johnson and backed Truss and  with it her trussanomics/Tufton Street nonsense as shown in the pic up top. .. You'd think it'd be a bit of a jump to go from Truss to Starmer in that short space of time. 

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think there are many places where it is great to be poor.

No. There aren't too many places left for the poor to try and band together in a proper settlement like that RV place out in the desert in Nevada which is semi-permanent. The wealthy continue to try and consume and own everything. Christ, they even make benches and shop doorways 'homeless resistant' now.