You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

L'pool '20 v Utd '99

Guest Alex_K

22 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

My favourite part about this debate is how “You just live in the past” was their refrain during that whole period under Ferguson.

21 years ago, you say?

I haven't use that one on a manc yet. 

25 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Scholes for me is the most over rated footballer since things have been rated. Everybody used to say "scholes is so under rated" no he isn't.

I think he is appropriately rated. A great playmaker with excellent technique but a bit limited outside of that.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I haven't use that one on a manc yet. 

One of my favourites. Started using that after we won the Champions League in 2005, on mates who support Arsenal and were unbearable pricks about us constantly during Wenger’s heyday. Haven’t needed to use it in years as they barely mention football nowadays, for some reason.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

If I had to do one mine would probably look the same. 

Not arsed what anyone says, Beckham was world class. 

Not sure about beckham getting in a joint team, but he was a really good player. He'd be a tight call. I think i might find a way of getting gini in but can't fault ppl placing him in.

Of all the United players, Irwin is the one that could feel most disappointed about being left out. It says how good Robbo is that he pips even a prime Irwin (probs a bit past it in 1999). Ali is unlucky from our end.

26 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Not sure about beckham getting in a joint team, but he was a really good player. He'd be a tight call. I think i might find a way of getting gini in but can't fault ppl placing him in.

Of all the United players, Irwin is the one that could feel most disappointed about being left out. It says how good Robbo is that he pips even a prime Irwin (probs a bit past it in 1999). Ali is unlucky from our end.

I think the hardest one is Mane or Giggs. We all know how good Mane is but I'd probably put Giggs in over him for now. 

6 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

You could nitpick how poor our teams in the 70's and 80's were too. We won a treble in 1984 and won the league with 80 points in a 42 game season. You can only beat what's in front of you. They did and we did. 

The team we have right now is superior to everything we have seen before.

The mancs won the league with a single point, its simply not comparable.

32 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

If it's about the performance of the players in the 1999 and 2020 seasons only then:

Irwin was 33 years old and well beyond his prime.

Paul Scholes was still battling with Butt to be Keane's partner in CM.

Schmeichel was 35 and on his way to Lisbon. 

All 3 had very good careers with Manchester United but they were not at the peak of their powers in 1999.

1 minute ago, Code said:

The team we have right now is superior to everything we have seen before.

The mancs won the league with a single point, its simply not comparable.

I agree with the first line and it's pretty much the basis of my argument. Our team now is the best we've ever seen and in the context of what United did it was superior to what happened before because it had never been done. It's all about context. We would murder that United team and that United team would have murdered our best team in the 70's. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Razoray said:

If it's about the performance of the players in the 1999 and 2020 seasons only then:

Irwin was 33 years old and well beyond his prime.

Paul Scholes was still battling with Butt to be Keane's partner in CM.

Schmeichel was 35 and on his way to Lisbon. 

All 3 had very good careers with Manchester United but they were not at the peak of their powers in 1999.

Absolutely. My point is that it is a gigantic compliment to Robbo that he would edge even a prime Irwin. Up until this year, I would have had Irwin as the best lb of the premier league era, just ahead of Cole.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RobbieOR said:

I agree with the first line and it's pretty much the basis of my argument. Our team now is the best we've ever seen and in the context of what United did it was superior to what happened before because it had never been done. It's all about context. We would murder that United team and that United team would have murdered our best team in the 70's. 

Obviously.

When picking any team comprised of players from different eras it has to be done, for want of a better phrase, on a pound for pound basis (ability, achievement, etc.), as the game has evolved to such an extent that modern players are far healthier, fitter, faster and tactically aware than those who came before them. It is entirely subjective and just a bit of fun. 

On 13/02/2020 at 12:58, RobbieOR said:

Comparing sides from different era's or combined teams or in one off games is pointless. The team from the later era would always win and would always have the full complement of players because of the way the game evolves. 

Do we reckon our 2005 European Cup winners would beat our teams from the 80's?

16 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Our combined team 08/09 and 19/10. Mouthwatering.

4-3-3

Alisson

Trent

Carragher

Van Dijk

Robertson

Fabinho

Alonso

Gerrard

Salah

Mane

Torres

Carra ahead of Gomez is insane. As much as I liked Carra, playing under Rafa and Houllier allowed players like him and Hyypia to play deep with players covering for them. The best parts of our defence means we can push our two fullbacks on and leave our rapid centre backs exposed. 

• Upvote 1

Lots of interesting comments. Didn’t realise how blunt Giggs was then, and I’d forgotten that was the end of Schmeichel’s stint. In some respects that was a now-or-never season for United; woe that Matthaus was taken off in the final.

Its interesting timing with City’s illegalities unravelling & tainting their recent teams. I really think it’s fair to say there has never been another Premier League side assembled quite like us ..