Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 1306 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Maybe he is trying to win the teachers round as he refused to back them when they had serious health and safety doubts sarly in the piece. Allegedly the main reason he got rid of Rebecca Long Bailey who was on the teachers side.

 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Nah more the middle class housewives whose rugrats are getting in the way of their careers and vino.

Yeah I’m with Sec. This will be focus group shit about a demographic he’s been told he has to win over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

My best mate’s father-in-law passed away from Covid last night, devastated for his wife and kids. He’d been in hospital with it for just over three weeks and seemed to be getting better, but his oxygen levels dropped a few days ago and he was taken back into ICU. He was put in an induced coma yesterday as he had pneumonia, and his wife got a call last night telling her and her daughter to come to the hospital as he had a blood clot on his lung that was causing problems with his heart and he wasn’t expected to see out the night. He was only 70 and they discovered he had COPD when he was first admitted to hospital, but he was hardly on deaths door.
 

I’m gutted myself as I knew the fella really well as he used to come with me and my mate to watch Runcorn play (my mate is a massive blue so the non-league is the only way we can watch footy together). 

Condolences mate. Awful news.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Sorry to hear this, mate. It’s just absolutely heartbreaking.

 

1 hour ago, suzy said:

Really sorry to hear this, it’s a horrid disease.

Thanks Tony, thanks Suzy.

 

My mate lost his mum back in March (thankfully not Covid related), so his two kids have lost two grandparents in the space of 10 months. They’re 22 and 18 so not little kids, but they’ll still both be grief stricken as they were really close to them.

 

I now know two people who have died from Covid, a guy who was a good mate of my dad when he was alive lost his wife to it in the first wave in April. She was only in her late 50’s. 
 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great advertisment for the UK's Covid-19 response...

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55830497

UK's first Covid evacuees: 'I wish I'd stayed in Wuhan and missed flight'

When Matt Raw was given an instruction to "get out of Wuhan" he took the advice seriously.

 

Exactly one year on, he wishes he had "never got on that flight" back to the UK.

 

Along with his wife and mother, the 39-year-old from Cheshire was among 83 Britons evacuated from the Chinese city on 31 January 2020.

 

Wuhan, which had been identified as the source of Covid-19, had gone into lockdown as the numbers of cases and deaths there and across eastern Asia rose alarmingly.

 

The flight to RAF Brize Norton was meant to bring British citizens and their families to safety, but Mr Raw says he feels he was "duped" and "brought here under false pretences".

 

In fact, he never planned to be on it originally. Initially, the UK government had said the flight was reserved for British nationals.

 

That meant Mr Raw faced the prospect of leaving his wife, a Chinese citizen, behind. As a result, they decided to stay put.

 

Mr Raw said he even left his tools by the front door because he was going to help build hospitals in Wuhan the next day.

 

 

However, a few hours before the flight was due to depart, the UK government announced family members with Chinese passports were welcome to join their spouses.

 

Mr Raw says he got the news at 04:00 and they quickly "threw some things in a suitcase" and headed for the airport.

But he says he now wishes he had "never got on that flight".

 

"They lied to us," he says of the UK authorities. "We're being told to get out of Wuhan, 'come back to England, you'll be safe here'.

 

"We would have been safer and much more freer if we stayed in China. They tackled it short and sharp and locked down the cities and it was the right thing to do."

 

Fellow passenger Liping Duan says she remembers having misgivings about the safety of the flight itself.

 

When Wuhan was locked down, the 59-year-old Londoner was five days into her trip visiting family for Chinese New Year.

 

While glad to be on board the plane home, she says fears of catching the new virus made it a "pretty nerve-wracking" flight.

 

"Two English guys couldn't get on the plane, because they had a high temperature," she remembers.

 

"It was so quiet [on board]; you might hear a baby crying, but none of the adults were talking.

 

"I was trying to stay away from other people and wore my mask the whole time.

 

"I couldn't breathe properly and it was exhausting."

 

Despite the fact the flight landed two days after the UK had identified its first Covid-19 case, she says no-one at the airport wore any personal protection equipment.

 

"I told them, 'stand back, we've come from Wuhan', but nobody cared," she says.

 

Fears about the virus, though, meant everybody who had been on the flight was taken by coach, under police escort, to Arrowe Park Hospital in Wirral for two weeks' quarantine.

 

Mr Raw says the 180-mile (290km) journey was "gruelling to say the least", while Ms Duan says she was shocked to see that the coach driver was not even wearing a mask.

 

On arrival, they were moved into a staff accommodation block, which had been cordoned off behind the hospital, sharing apartments with communal kitchens.

 

Mr Raw's family were quarantined with another woman and her two-year-old daughter.

 

Fortunately, he says they "got on like a house on fire".

 

He says they were "quite happy", adding: "The staff at Arrowe Park were amazing."

 

He says one doctor "had put in about 157 hours" and that the "dedication" of those who cared for them was "astounding".

 

Even the usual winter weather helped with quarantine, since "the entire two-week period was rotten".

 

"I don't recall weather that vicious in a long time," Mr Raw remembers. "I thought 'I don't want to go out at all'."

 

The hospital's medical director Dr Nikki Stephenson says she remains "hugely proud" of the care her staff provided.

 

"We only had 48 hours' notice to expect their arrival, so it was a very frenetic time.

 

"The feedback was amazing and they all left with a full bill of health, despite not really knowing about coronavirus, so I am immensely proud of how it all went."

 

Ms Duan says they were all "so lucky" to have tested negative for coronavirus.

 

"If one person had it, we could have all got it."

 

After 14 days, the evacuees were allowed to leave.

 

Ms Duan says quarantine was a "special" experience but she was so "relieved" to return to her home in London.

 

She says her family in Wuhan now worry about her being in the UK because of coronavirus, but she tells them "people don't panic here".

 

Mr Raw and his family set up a new home in Knutsford.

 

He says he almost immediately had to begin dealing with abuse online from people who believed the first repatriation flights were responsible for the presence of Covid-19 in the UK.

 

That abuse, he says, continues to this day.

 

"It is heartbreaking that people actually think that. We were the ones who told the government their original plan [for us] to make our own way home to self-isolate after arriving was not on.

 

"We didn't want to bring it to England. None of us wanted that.

 

"We have done everything we possibly can - we've had one outing this year."

 

He says he cannot return to Wuhan because his mother has dementia and the strict quarantine procedures that are in place for entering China would be too difficult for her.

 

"It's another two weeks' isolation at each stage of the journey and individual person quarantine," he says.

 

"They don't do things half-heartedly. Hats off to them for doing that."

 

He says he is "one of the lucky ones" from the repatriation flights as he had already decided to look after his mother full-time, while others have told him they have been left bankrupt or still staying with family.

 

He adds that he still regrets the decision to board the plane.

 

"In Wuhan, it would have been uncomfortable in our small apartment for two or three months, but then they got rid of the virus and life has returned to normal," he says.

 

"I wish I'd stayed in bed and gone to help build that hospital.

 

"Here, we have my little house and my little fish pond in the Cheshire countryside, but we're trapped here. It's still our prison."

Presentational grey line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Everyone knew the appropriate safety measures weren’t in place and if Starmer didn’t then he should have. 
 

Rather than focusing on safety in schools (not saying he didn’t mention it at all) he pushed this ‘no ifs, no buts I demand they open’ line which gave the government cover to reopen schools without the necessary measures in place imo. 

We won't agree on this. I don't believe the role of the opposition is to accept the government are shit and then make a new plan for them because of their deficiencies. Their job is to hold them to account. So if you have a "world best track and trace", prove it. Don't assume it's shit and give them an alternative.  You seem to be confusing opposition with government from where I'm sitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, maybe he’s trying to make Alex look like a cunt by not vaccinating our ‘hero's’

 

The optics on this, not from our little bubble, are in favour of vaccinating and getting the kids back ASAP. They don’t care for the arguments, evidence or finer details. 

 

He’s playing to the gallery, hence today’s Hail article.

 

Its win/win for him for everybody but us ‘core’ voters. He gets to make a headline that’s the drones support and he gets to make Alex look indecisive and useless again.

 

I don’t agree with it, but then I’m not the target audience.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We won't agree on this. I don't believe the role of the opposition is to accept the government are shit and then make a new plan for them because of their deficiencies. Their job is to hold them to account. So if you have a "world best track and trace", prove it. Don't assume it's shit and give them an alternative.  You seem to be confusing opposition with government from where I'm sitting.

He didn’t have to assume it was shit, it was beset with difficulties from the moment it was launched. And he certainly knew the safety measures in schools weren’t up to scratch, they didn’t even bring in the limited mask wearing in secondary schools until after they’d opened.

 

He doesn’t get a free pass because he’s the opposition or because the government is a shambles. He’s in a position of influence as leader of the opposition and he used that influence to focus on getting everyone back in before appropriate safety measures were in place rather than making them safe. 
 

Can’t be arsed going back over it anyway, that’s old news now and I’m more concerned with his latest suggestions. 
 

Re what Bruce said; you’re either following the science or you’re not, and after all the shit he’s given Johnson over ignoring SAGE etc... it’s a bit rich for him to want to override the JCVI without any evidence to back him up. 
 

I’m also not convinced the optics are in his favour. He’s getting a lot of backlash over this across the spectrum. One of the only things I’ve seen Tom Harwood and Owen Jones agree upon. 
 

I think if you worded the poll as specifically asking should teachers be ahead of elderly and clinically vulnerable people in the queue you’d get a different answer than just asking what groups should be moved up the list for getting a vaccine.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

He didn’t have to assume it was shit, it was beset with difficulties from the moment it was launched. And he certainly knew the safety measures in schools weren’t up to scratch, they didn’t even bring in the limited mask wearing in secondary schools until after they’d opened.

 

He doesn’t get a free pass because he’s the opposition or because the government is a shambles. He’s in a position of influence as leader of the opposition and he used that influence to focus on getting everyone back in before appropriate safety measures were in place rather than making them safe. 
 

Can’t be arsed going back over it anyway, that’s old news now and I’m more concerned with his latest suggestions. 
 

Re what Bruce said; you’re either following the science or you’re not, and after all the shit he’s given Johnson over ignoring SAGE etc... it’s a bit rich for him to want to override the JCVI without any evidence to back him up. 
 

I’m also not convinced the optics are in his favour. He’s getting a lot of backlash over this across the spectrum. One of the only things I’ve seen Tom Harwood and Owen Jones agree upon. 
 

I think if you worded the poll as specifically asking should teachers be ahead of elderly and clinically vulnerable people in the queue you’d get a different answer than just asking what groups should be moved up the list for getting a vaccine.


Yeah, I agree completely and don’t understand this dogged insistence to get the schools back.

 

Just sort the vaccines out properly, no cutting corners. Follow the advice and do deviate, don’t go with the wind and just do it right. What’s the old adage ‘buy once well’. 
 

I’m disappointed with this nonsense today, but there has to be a reason for it that either were not seeing, or he’s wrong. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:


Yeah, I agree completely and don’t understand this dogged insistence to get the schools back.

 

Just sort the vaccines out properly, no cutting corners. Follow the advice and do deviate, don’t go with the wind and just do it right. What’s the old adage ‘buy once well’. 
 

I’m disappointed with this nonsense today, but there has to be a reason for it that either were not seeing, or he’s wrong. 

I don't understand the urgency. Exams have already been cancelled this year so just start again when they can and if necessary repeat a year for everyone. If they love school so much they can leave when they're 17 instead of 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

I don't understand the urgency. Exams have already been cancelled this year so just start again when they can and if necessary repeat a year for everyone. If they love school so much they can leave when they're 17 instead of 16.

 

It's the economy, stoopid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a concern I’d evaluated. Hopefully we don’t have any of these in the UK supply chain.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Glad they caught his twin as well.

 

If I gooooo

Will you sand baaaack 

A nutter 

Froooooom 

Ameri-CA! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife of the neighbour who tested positive on a lateral flow has gone to work today, saw her while I was de-icing my car. He's waiting on a PCR test result from Saturday.

 

Needless to say, next time they come round to see if our kids are going out to play they'll be told to fuck off.

 

This is the problem in this country - rules are great, but they're for other people not ME.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The wife of the neighbour who tested positive on a lateral flow has gone to work today, saw her while I was de-icing my car. He's waiting on a PCR test result from Saturday.

 

Needless to say, next time they come round to see if our kids are going out to play they'll be told to fuck off.

 

This is the problem in this country - rules are great, but they're for other people not ME.

 

As Anubis said, report her. It's too important not to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few side effects from the Pfizer jab. Muscle aches, intermittent fever for 2 days and woke up today with a swollen lymph node under my armpit which is very sore. 

 

Still better than getting covid again though. The nurse did say, that people who have had covid generally have more side effects than those that haven't, which makes sense as your immune system recognises the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've had a few side effects from the Pfizer jab. Muscle aches, intermittent fever for 2 days and woke up today with a swollen lymph node under my armpit which is very sore. 

 

Still better than getting covid again though. The nurse did say, that people who have had covid generally have more side effects than those that haven't, which makes sense as your immune system recognises the virus.

 

Yeah my sister in law and her mate in work (both carers) had side effects too. I suppose at least you know it's working?

 

My uncle is getting his today, they're coming out to him because he's disabled. Mother in law is getting hers later this week too. Does feel like things are moving in the right direction now unless nature throws us another curve ball, like a new Bognor Regis train that smells and can evade all known countermeasures. Not too farfetched given this past year's hijinks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

 

Yeah my sister in law and her mate in work (both carers) had side effects too. I suppose at least you know it's working?

 

My uncle is getting his today, they're coming out to him because he's disabled. Mother in law is getting hers later this week too. Does feel like things are moving in the right direction now unless nature throws us another curve ball, like a new Bognor Regis train that smells and can evade all known countermeasures. Not too farfetched given this past year's hijinks. 

 

It does feel like we are nearing the end of this now, things won't be back to 'normal' for a while but we should be able to get some semblance of our lives back by summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've had a few side effects from the Pfizer jab. Muscle aches, intermittent fever for 2 days and woke up today with a swollen lymph node under my armpit which is very sore. 

 

Still better than getting covid again though. The nurse did say, that people who have had covid generally have more side effects than those that haven't, which makes sense as your immune system recognises the virus.

I’m 9 days in and feel rough as arseholes mate. May be an interaction with various life stresses too - thought I was going to lose one of my dogs last week and not been sleeping because of it - but I’m absolutely dead on my feet since the jab, having previously felt the best I have in a very long time.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I’m 9 days in and feel rough as arseholes mate. May be an interaction with various life stresses too - thought I was going to lose one of my dogs last week and not been sleeping because of it - but I’m absolutely dead on my feet since the jab, having previously felt the best I have in a very long time.

I have mine on Wednesday morning, I'm really looking forward to it after reading that!

Hope you start feeling better soon mate.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I’m 9 days in and feel rough as arseholes mate. May be an interaction with various life stresses too - thought I was going to lose one of my dogs last week and not been sleeping because of it - but I’m absolutely dead on my feet since the jab, having previously felt the best I have in a very long time.

Yeah it's a strange one but as Section said, it shows that it's working, being stressed out will be a big contributing factor as well, it's amazing how much the mind influences physical symptoms.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I’m 9 days in and feel rough as arseholes mate. May be an interaction with various life stresses too - thought I was going to lose one of my dogs last week and not been sleeping because of it - but I’m absolutely dead on my feet since the jab, having previously felt the best I have in a very long time.

Have you had Covid? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×