You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I had my jab today (AZ), no messing, really organised. Have they outsourced this or has the NHS done it? 

As for side effect, I only had it a couple of hours ago. My arm is a little sore (it was within half an hour) but aside from that nothing. It hasn't helped my hangover from last night's match booze though. 

Alcohol can reduce the immune system’s response to a Covid-19 vaccine, experts have warned. People receiving jabs should avoid drinking alcohol because it alters the make-up of microorganisms in the gut that help stop bacteria and viruses getting through, according to Immunologist Professor Sheena Cruickshank.

It came after Emergency medicine expert Dr Ronx Ikharia found three glasses of Prosecco reduced the levels of white blood cells, including lymphocytes which help attack viruses with antibodies, by up to half. She carried out an experiment showing this on The Truth About… Boosting Your Immune System, which airs on the BBC on Wednesday. 

Lymphocytes account for 20% to 40% of white blood cells in adults and help fight viruses in lymph nodes, the spleen and other areas where an immune response is likely to be needed first. Lymphocytes play a key role in determining the immune response to foreign substances like the Covid-19 virus, a team of scientists from Wuhan, China previously found 

Prof Cruickshank, from the University of Manchester, said: ‘You need to have your immune system working tip-top to have a good response to the vaccine, so if you’re drinking the night before, or shortly afterwards, that’s not going to help.’ 

Bit late now like. 

2 minutes ago, Poster said:

Alcohol can reduce the immune system’s response to a Covid-19 vaccine, experts have warned. People receiving jabs should avoid drinking alcohol because it alters the make-up of microorganisms in the gut that help stop bacteria and viruses getting through, according to Immunologist Professor Sheena Cruickshank.

It came after Emergency medicine expert Dr Ronx Ikharia found three glasses of Prosecco reduced the levels of white blood cells, including lymphocytes which help attack viruses with antibodies, by up to half. She carried out an experiment showing this on The Truth About… Boosting Your Immune System, which airs on the BBC on Wednesday. 

Lymphocytes account for 20% to 40% of white blood cells in adults and help fight viruses in lymph nodes, the spleen and other areas where an immune response is likely to be needed first. Lymphocytes play a key role in determining the immune response to foreign substances like the Covid-19 virus, a team of scientists from Wuhan, China previously found 

Prof Cruickshank, from the University of Manchester, said: ‘You need to have your immune system working tip-top to have a good response to the vaccine, so if you’re drinking the night before, or shortly afterwards, that’s not going to help.’ 

Bit late now like. 

Honestly though, why are they not saying to people don't drink for 24 hours (or whatever it should be) before hand? 

On 09/09/2020 at 09:42, Spy Bee said:

Well, it's quite clearly not a comment piece and it wasn't written by that twat Young. It's a paper by people with pretty good credentials

Paul Kirkham, Professor of cell Biology and Head of Respiratory Disease Research Group at Wolverhampton University

Dr Mike Yeadon, former CSO and VP, Allergy and Respiratory Research Head with Pfizer Global R&D and co-Founder of Ziarco Pharma Ltd

Barry Thomas, Epidemiologist

On 02/11/2020 at 20:18, Skidfingers McGonical said:

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Translation: we've had one person here, quoting an article he co-authored, on one occasion.

Yeah, what you’ve done is just search his name which doesn’t bring up all articles by him or when people have pasted one of his tweets on here. As you can see above that is at least two people who have quoted him. 

I look forward to you admitting you were wrong. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

There's no way I can claim that to be absolutely true, it was just a way of trying to justify it in my head when I first heard about the tenuous links between vitamin D and Covid-19. It does make some sort of scientific sense though.

But Covid-19, oxygen and Vitamin D being transported as a priority by red blood cells is absolutely true and white blood cells are the body's immune system detectors. They ensure that red blood cells are carrying around the body what they should be and ensuree they are carrying the good stuff around the body to where it needs to go. It's also the white blood cells that tell the body's immune system to attack anything that shouldn't be there. If the red blood cells contain more vitamin D and more oxygen than perhaps is usual (especially in the Winter months when less Vitamin D is produced in the body), how can they take on the responsibility of carrying this new cell in the body which it can't recognise as a threat when it's priority is to transport oxygen and Vitamin D? I'm sure red blood cells also do a lot more than this.

I'd 100% rather have something that helps prevent rather than a cure, Vitamin D plus good oxygen levels plus the vaccine and I'm Ramboing the shit out of Covid-19.

Sorry mate, but not one word of that  makes any scientific sense at all

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah, what you’ve done is just search his name which doesn’t bring up all articles by him or when people have pasted one of his tweets on here. As you can see above that is at least two people who have quoted him. 

I look forward to you admitting you were wrong. 

More than two people have quoted him, as the search shows. I was under the assumption we were talking about people quoting him in a positive light.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

More than two people have quoted him, as the search shows. I was under the assumption we were talking about people quoting him in a positive light.

Both those people have quoted him in a positive light? They were both using him to further their argument. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Both those people have quoted him in a positive light? They were both using him to further their argument. 

Let's assume that's the case. Him being an alleged racist wouldn't have any bearing on the accuracy of his scientific claims.

James Watson is a massive racist and sexist, it doesn't mean that DNA doesn't exist.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Let's assume that's the case. Him being an alleged racist wouldn't have any bearing on the accuracy of his scientific claims.

James Watson is a massive racist and sexist, it doesn't mean that DNA doesn't exist.

Shifting goalposts. You were wrong to say only one person has quoted him in a positive light. We can agree on that?

As for your other point it’s a pattern of almost every prominent lockdown sceptic that people like to quote. Toby Young is a eugenicist. Karol Sikora wants to privatise the NHS, does attack ads for the Republicans on US television slagging the NHS off and called it the last bastion of communism, Isabel Oakeshott is getting banged by Richard Tice of Brexit party fame who coincidentally is a property developer losing a fortune with commercial premises closed. 

Now, you might think that has no bearing on what they say about Covid, but I do. It puts a more sinister outlook on the shite they’ve come out with and I’d hope would be enough for people to question the validity of their claims. 

Yeadon has been a pretty clear lunatic before all the Muslim stuff came out and has been demonstrably wrong about so many things on Covid I wouldn’t even know where to start. I’m saying it comes as no surprise he’s got these other views because, like the other I’ve mentioned, I believe it ties into their mindset of being either grifters, conspiracy theorists, batshit crazy or all three. And everything they say should be viewed with extreme suspicion. 

And if there are other prominent people out there saying similar things as they are then I think, eventually, they’re going to fall under one of the categories I mentioned. There is a reason all of this shit comes from just a handful of scientists and right wing personalities. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Shifting goalposts. You were wrong to say only one person has quoted him in a positive light. We can agree on that?

As for your other point it’s a pattern of almost every prominent lockdown sceptic that people like to quote. Toby Young is a eugenicist. Karol Sikora wants to privatise the NHS, does attack ads for the Republicans on US television slagging the NHS off and called it the last bastion of communism, Isabel Oakeshott is getting banged by Richard Tice of Brexit party fame who coincidentally is a property developer losing a fortune with commercial premises closed. 

Now, you might think that has no bearing on what they say about Covid, but I do. It puts a more sinister outlook on the shite they’ve come out with and I’d hope would be enough for people to question the validity of their claims. 

Yeadon has been a pretty clear lunatic before all the Muslim stuff came out and has been demonstrably wrong about so many things on Covid I wouldn’t even know where to start. I’m saying it comes as no surprise he’s got these other views because, like the other I’ve mentioned, I believe it ties into their mindset of being either grifters, conspiracy theorists, batshit crazy or all three. And everything they say should be viewed with extreme suspicion. 

And if there are other prominent people out there saying similar things as they are then I think, eventually, they’re going to fall under one of the categories I mentioned. There is a reason all of this shit comes from just a handful of scientists and right wing personalities. 

I'm happy to concede that it's two rather than one, for all the difference that makes.

I'm sure it suits you just fine to make out that we're hanging on every word Toby Young and David Icke say, but I've actually been listening to the likes of Balloux, Heneghan, Levitt etc and I don't recognise the description of any of them as right-wing lunatics.

39 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Sorry mate, but not one word of that  makes any scientific sense at all

Feel free to elaborate, I'm always happy to learn. Saying it makes no sense has no educational value at all.

15 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Feel free to elaborate, I'm always happy to learn. Saying it makes no sense has no educational value at all.

Saying all doctors are part of some conspiracy just doesn’t stack up.  When do they reveal the conspiracy, first day at Uni, last day?   It’s just not happening.  

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Saying all doctors are part of some conspiracy just doesn’t stack up.  When do they reveal the conspiracy, first day at Uni, last day?   It’s just not happening.  

Where have I said there is a conspiracy by Doctors?

5 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Low blood pressure does not have a medication that can be prescribed, therefore this isn't something that is taught in medical institutions. Crazy.

GPs are effectively drug dealers who profit from a person's illlness. If you're not getting ill, you're not profitable to the institution. Next time you're at the Doctor's ask them how you can go from feeling as healthy as you are now to even healthier without medication and it will absolutely bamboozle them.

Well all this bit. 

24 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm happy to concede that it's two rather than one, for all the difference that makes.

I'm sure it suits you just fine to make out that we're hanging on every word Toby Young and David Icke say, but I've actually been listening to the likes of Balloux, Heneghan, Levitt etc and I don't recognise the description of any of them as right-wing lunatics.

“we’re” ? 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They all say the same kind of stuff. Picking out a couple who you think haven’t got right wing views doesn’t mean much when they’re saying the same shit as all the ones who have. Pound to a pinch of shit Heneghan is at least partly funded by dodgy tufton street types anyway. 

Heneghan is totally discredited. Won’t publish anything for peer review because he knows it’ll get ripped to bits and is (or was) always popping up in right wing press like The Spectator and Telegraph. Noticed him moaning the other day about cancel culture stuff with JHB. Probably do a column on it in the Telegraph soon, the natural place to go for all people denied a voice. Or maybe back on a national radio station to talk about it. 

More on him and his predictions here:

https://www.covidfaq.co/Carl-Heneghan-and-Tom-Jefferson-Oxford-CEBM-eb9a2ceaff164e90a718a30e4fd14e95

I’ve followed Balloux all the way through this and I just thing he’s a contrary bellend to be honest. He doesn’t back all this stuff about false positives and PCR tests not working etc... anyway as far as I’ve seen. 

Levitt I don’t know much about. He doesn’t seem to appear much in anything I look at. His Wiki page doesn’t fill me with confidence in him though:

Levitt has been outspoken on the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and made several claims that turned out to be wrong. In February 2020, Levitt made a number of predictions about China's COVID-19 trajectory,including one on February 7 which claimed that "by 14-Feb. we will have reached 95% of the eventual death count of 928". In March, the Los Angeles Times reported that Levitt forecasted in February that the COVID-19 pandemic in China would soon peak and that China would end up with around 80,000 cases and 3,250 deaths from COVID-19. As of September 2020, China had reported around 85,000 cases and 4,600 deaths.

Other notable statements made by Levitt during the COVID-19 pandemic include his belief that Israel would suffer no more than 10 COVID-19 deaths and his belief on July 25, 2020 that COVID-19 in the United States would be over "in 4 weeks with total reported deaths below 170,000". As of November 2020, there were more than 270,000 reported deaths in the United States and more than 2,800 reported fatalities in Israel. About Israel, Levitt clarified that "The problem was that I should have said excess deaths.", and that he made a mistake with that statement.

Levitt also has stated his belief that achieving natural herd immunity to the virus is possible and has spoken against lockdown orders.

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Well all this bit. 

You're interpreting that as a consipracy? GPs are appointed to sell drugs. They are legal, they are legitimate and in the vast majority of cases they are extremely useful and are up to the job required. However, there are ways that some conditions can be managed before the prescription of drugs is necessary. This really shouldn't be that much of a surprise. A strait-jacket was designed as a 'cure' for anxiety and depression. Unsurprisingly this didn't work, so medication has been made to treat it. There are other treatments too but it's not a conspiracy to say that they tried to cure something with a jacket.

If you ask someone in the police force why they joined, they would probably say something along the lines of they are determined to rid the world of crime and to ensure victims of crime get the justice they deserve while the perpretators are dealt with accordingly. How many of those police are fine, upstanding police officers who are still pursuing this ideal? All of them? None of them? A few of them? Probably most likely a few of them. Some have realised this is an impossible aim but they still try. Others have gone to the dark side as they know they can't win so if you can't beat them, join them. This is not conspiracy theory. This is happening, whether we like it or not. It's the same in the medical world. Some doctors want to be the best at what they do. Some thought it was going to be different than it is. This isn't a conspiracy. I wish all doctors were perfect, I know they're not. I hope not all doctors are terrible, I know they're not. Some treat you like a human with feelings and lives going on, some don't and just want to sign the docket so they can move on the next patient. They want to be finished on time today.

Is this wrong? Of course not. They have lives too but the system isn't set up for everyone involved to be able to deliver high standards every single time, on time with a high level of patient satisfaction. But some try a lot harder than others to reach those standards, even if they know they may never reach them.

By the way, feel free to cut and paste only certain parts of my posts that also show that I also have enormous respect for how the medical world works as every day there are incredible feats achieved in the field - the development of this vaccine being one of them.