You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Well. 

I would say our backbone players for a few years were Alisson, Virgil, Trent, Robbo, Hendo, Fabinho, Mo, Mane.

That’s quite a lot, which is probably why we’ve been so good.
Virg and Trent probably needed the refresh more than most, but they’ve just been appointed captain and vice (and Trent is still mid twenties). Who would you be refreshing? 

Robbo is 30 in March, below him we have Chambers & Scanlon to try and make an impression. Tsmiskas is sufficient backup.  

Although younger, we have Bradley and Ramsey (HA!) below Trent.

Similar to Quansah, not saying they will be the answer, I'm sure we hope they will be.

Konate will just have just turned 25 at the end of the season.

Given VVD has just been made club captain, he in't going anywhere and as I've repeatedly said, IMO, he can continue until Sergio Ramos or Thiago Silva age at the top level.

So, when you think about it, the only logical answer is Matip, of which we've been linked with quite a few centre backs anyway last window and I assume will be the same in January.

I foresee where this is already going (not from you...). Just replacing Matip won't be enough for some, how dare we appreciate what we have, instead of constantly whinging about what we don't have. Klopp will never win a Transfer Window like that and FSG will be tight cunts, as per. 

I reckon Quansah is seen as good enough to be Virgil’s replacement in a couple of years and is the reason we didn’t buy another CB for this season.  We’ll make a decision as to whether to extend Matip’s contract and if we don’t we’ll buy just one CB in the summer.  Five CBs is enough. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think you've got to keep refreshing the squad. Some players will stop hearing him. Some players no matter how hard they listen, can no longer do what they used to. We had too many players, especially in midfield, who just weren't fresh. The next objective has to be refresh the defence before that gives us the same problem. 

If only we'd have done it post title win.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Well. 

I would say our backbone players for a few years were Alisson, Virgil, Trent, Robbo, Hendo, Fabinho, Mo, Mane.

That’s quite a lot, which is probably why we’ve been so good.
Virg and Trent probably needed the refresh more than most, but they’ve just been appointed captain and vice (and Trent is still mid twenties). Who would you be refreshing? 

Goalies can go on, so I have no Ali worries. 

The trent thing is no big deal for me to worry about, his lack of clear backup is. I would start there. 

Then VVD is getting older, but I am sure we can get more out of him - but we should have pressure on his shirt. The way to do that imo is replace Matip with a player of the profile Konate was to work that left side. And we also have Quansah. It's too early to judge him in my opinion, but he looks light years better than the likes of Phillips and Williams who we've had as young backup in the past. 

Finally, robbo is hitting 30. I don't think Kostas is good enough to replace him (although i am sure @stringvest disagrees! ), so if Kostas doesn't show massive improvement during this run, I would bomb him and bring someone in who is ready to take robbo's shirt from him. If robbos can fight him off and show he's still worth it, that's ok too. But we need to make them all feel like they need to fight to be there. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Have to admit that I was worried last season that the players seemed to have tuned Jurgen out. They were barely trying most weeks, confidence was awful, the defence was like a sieve and he appeared to have no real idea how to get the best out of Nunez, basically replacing him with Gakpo in January.

I thought there was a reasonable chance he had just reached the natural end of his tenure the way even most of the great managers do.

Turns out I need not have worried, last season was all Henderson’s fault.

The last part, you're kidding a bit, but honestly, it's the sort of thing where if you have a good manager, making even just one big upgrade can help turn things around. And going from Henderson to Szoboszlai is like eating cold spaghetti out of a can, to dining on caviar.

The part about having a good manager is that on top of signing better players, the players from last season improve as well and the plan is better.

We seem to be close to getting back to the point we were at from 18-20, where we could create transitions and find space against even the most negative of opposition. The Forest game is a great example of it.

38 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Goalies can go on, so I have no Ali worries. 

The trent thing is no big deal for me to worry about, his lack of clear backup is. I would start there. 

Then VVD is getting older, but I am sure we can get more out of him - but we should have pressure on his shirt. The way to do that imo is replace Matip with a player of the profile Konate was to work that left side. And we also have Quansah. It's too early to judge him in my opinion, but he looks light years better than the likes of Phillips and Williams who we've had as young backup in the past. 

Finally, robbo is hitting 30. I don't think Kostas is good enough to replace him (although i am sure @stringvest disagrees! ), so if Kostas doesn't show massive improvement during this run, I would bomb him and bring someone in who is ready to take robbo's shirt from him. If robbos can fight him off and show he's still worth it, that's ok too. But we need to make them all feel like they need to fight to be there. 

This. Never let them rest on their laurels, sure fire way of regressing if you do.

• 3 weeks later...

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says the football schedule has "crossed the limits of what players can handle" as domestic competitions resume after another international break.

United face three away games in six days - Everton on Sunday, Turkish side Galatasaray in the Champions League on Wednesday and Newcastle next Saturday.

There will be two more group games for teams in the 2024-25 Champions League.

"Every manager is complaining about the schedule," Ten Hag said.

Kloppo! on Tumblr

On 06/11/2023 at 17:34, Supremolad said:

Klopp might not always get his subs right, but again this is evidence he is better than most managers out there. These numbers don't even include the times his subs provide crucial assists, like Harvey did for Diaz. I reckon there are many of those assists too.

Screenshot_20231106_155538_Gallery.jpg

There have been a couple additions to this in the past couple weeks, including today's sub coming up with the winner. Great use of subs continues to be a factor in Kloppage time. Top work.

• 2 weeks later...