You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Timo Werner

Captain Turdseye

Klopp would definitely get a better tune out of him. He’d be perfect for our game. Real speed merchant, which is what we need. The goals would come. I remember plenty moaning that Mo missed a lot of chances when he was getting started with us; he also scored loads because of the game we played. 

48 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Has a big money big name buy ever come good after stinking his first season out? I’m struggling to think of any.

Depends what you call stinking the first season out. Bobby came on leaps and bounds although that took a change of manager.

24 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Henderson. 

Was thinking more the supposed star from abroad Bergkamp being a good example. Not many though is there, seems to me they either hit the ground running like Suarez, Torres, Alonso etc or our footballs not really for them and they never make it.

28 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Was thinking more the supposed star from abroad Bergkamp being a good example. Not many though is there, seems to me they either hit the ground running like Suarez, Torres, Alonso etc or our footballs not really for them and they never make it.

Mascherano? He was shit at West Ham.

Drogba? Although stinking it out is maybe a bit far, he certainly wasn’t the player he became in that first season. 

Even somebody like Jaap Stam was shite for a couple of months but was quickly up to speed. 

I get your point though, there aren’t many. Bergkamp & Pires are good examples.

2 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I remember laughing at how poor Henry was when Arsenal played at Anfield. I laugh and said he will never make, I think everyone will agree I was, again, correct.

Good call. Again, maybe not shite but nowhere near the player he became.

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

12 goals from Werner, so while disappointing he hasn’t exactly been at Keita levels of disappointment either.  

Yea, not really getting the mockering here - 12 golas and 14 assists in 49 games. Been involved in a third of Chelsea' goals in the league. Just played in a Cup final with a CL final to come.

Wish we had a couple disappointments like that.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Add in double that on his assists and he may not be a forward who just plays off the shoulder.

So involved in 17 golas in 33 games. That is not bad.

He'd top all of Salah, Mane and Firmino in bad misses this season though. Shocking conversion rate, and about as likely to score a one-on-one with the keeper as Benteke and Heskey.

He's got an abundance of pace, and a really good work rate. If he could be taught how to press (I doubt it, as he hasn't picked it up yet), he'd be useful for us. It would be instead of Mane/Jota though, as he couldn't play a false 9 if his life depended on it.

Anyway, we got Jota who imo is quite a bit more rounded as a player, so glad we stayed well clear.

He's clearly not shit and finishing is something that can easily turn around for the better (or worse). He could rack up the goals next season if he keeps getting in good positions.

But what was correct about him is that he's simply not good enough to cry over. He was never this can't miss player we had to have. 

I think Werner would kill it or us and whilst he might never be able to play the Bobby role he has the potential to be good enough for us to adapt to a system that allows those two to play together (4-2-3-1) being the obvious as well as offering something different when we need it. I think Jota can play the Bobby role if need be probably better than anyone else currently at the club so that "replacement" might already be on the books, at least to a serviceable extent.

Werner's record at Chelsea could be down to a few things. It's a strange season to be fitting into a new side in a new country for one. They've obviously all been better under Tuchel and a mostly full preseason with him could get him going more. I also imagine the pressure at Chelsea is a bit different than here but again I don't know Tuchel's managerial style so I can't call it. What I mean by that is that at Chelsea you know if you shit the bed one too many times they're going to be looking to replace you, it's conceivable that they replace him this off-season for example because they have the funds to take that financial loss, maybe loan him out to get some team to pay his wages and they're fine with that. That's not something that's likely to happen at Liverpool, if anything we might go too far the other way and maybe give players a bit too much time to come good. Origi being a prime example although he has scored some important goals so maybe he's not the best. I felt like we gave Andy Carroll ample time too, most would say Naby Keita has had plenty of chances and I expect he gets one more season honestly.

I'm not sure if they'd sell to us directly given we got over on them with Torres and they're probably embarrassed by how well Salah has played for us compared to them, almost certainly not at a price we'd be willing to pay, but if all they wanted was their money back I'd certainly be okay with us taking him off their hands.