You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2019

Elite

Just finished watching it all back. Davies Jr thought he could walk down anything Ritson had, and probably could, but ended up getting out-boxed. As limited as Ritson is, he’s durable and would give most at 140 at least a durable night. I think he should get into the Ingle gym - they’d get him fighting like a form Brook. The lad has timing, just limited variation on his attacks.

Cheeseman made a fight of it with Fitzgerald, but was always the avoider, which was his undoing in the end. Put himself in front, but was always trying to avoid a boxing match. Made up he got beat. Fucking horrible arrogant cockney prick.

If I was Fitzgerald there is no way I’d be entertaining a Fowler rematch. He should be screaming from the rafters for a smith fight - elevates him among the top 10 if he wins that, although I reckon Beefy bullies him. His best chance though. Brook wouldn’t touch him

• Upvote 1

The sky commentary bias towards Cheeseman last night was shameful. He may have not defended with his face like usual but he was on the back door all fight and didn't land anywhere enough for it to be considered a 'boxing clinic'. Fitzgerald held the centre of the ring all fight and won the last 4 rounds at a canter.

Ritson v RDJ was closer than the scorecards but Ritson is mad calling out the winner of Taylor/Prograis, they'd absolutely destroy him.

Agree with both of you guys re last night's fights. Cheesman was cuter than usual but didn't land enough, it isn't Strictly Come Dancing after all and Ritson did well and might get a big fight out of it but won't go much further.

That Newcastle lad who appears to train outside pubs made me laugh with his ' Newcastle are you not entertained ? '

comment , the answer presumably being - well no not really, you are an annoying talent vacuum. 

Boxers know that the hype is as important as the talent these days to get the big fights because promoters care more about box office than the best pugilists going at it. Billy Joe Saunders has called out just about every fighter since Rocky Marciano or bad mouthed them. "ooh do or say something mad so people lap it up and want to see it again". Its going to get a fighter killed in the ring one day. 

Yeah, Dave Allen has made a bit of a career out of it, alongside being an IFL regular. I only saw the first half of cheeseman fight but he was boxing very well and won pretty much every round for me.  

Be very surprised if Ritson is anywhere near Taylor any time soon after last night. Imagine he will sell out a few newcastle shows first against british level fighters, with loads of geordies on the undercards. Be suprised if he ever gets near to Taylors level, even for a cash out fight at St James. He is exciting to watch though.

Ryan Burnett has announced his retirement from boxing. Shocking that. Only 27 and had such a story to get where he had done. Real chance he would have been top of the tree in his era.

Cant wait for prograis Taylor as well as Sir. If I’m honest I haven’t tuned into anything live of prograis’ fights, but have watched the highlight reel stuff, so can’t really say I have an opinion on the outcome. I think Taylor made a good point yesterday about his record though - I think taylor’s is better too. Irrelevant I suppose in the end, but I am absolutely buzzing for this.

I can’t describe the happiness though if Pricey were to starch Chisora. I know it doesn’t seem likely, but if price can turn it into a bit of a clinic for first 3 or 4, Chisora might let his head drop a bit. 

2 hours ago, belarus said:

Ryan Burnett has announced his retirement from boxing. Shocking that. Only 27 and had such a story to get where he had done. Real chance he would have been top of the tree in his era.

Cant wait for prograis Taylor as well as Sir. If I’m honest I haven’t tuned into anything live of prograis’ fights, but have watched the highlight reel stuff, so can’t really say I have an opinion on the outcome. I think Taylor made a good point yesterday about his record though - I think taylor’s is better too. Irrelevant I suppose in the end, but I am absolutely buzzing for this.

I can’t describe the happiness though if Pricey were to starch Chisora. I know it doesn’t seem likely, but if price can turn it into a bit of a clinic for first 3 or 4, Chisora might let his head drop a bit. 

Price struggles come round 3 when he has had a full camp. he stepped into this at late notice. He will be on his knees by the end of the 1st. 

Looking forward to tonight, some good match ups and the main event is immense. Hope Taylor can do it.

As for Pricey, hope he lands the punch of his life but he's probably on the bog already and will remain there until it's time to warm up, he'll be emotionally drained by tea time.

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Price struggles come round 3 when he has had a full camp. he stepped into this at late notice. He will be on his knees by the end of the 1st. 

I know that’s how it will probably go, but I get emotionally invested in big pricey’s fights more than anyone else. First because he’s a good lad and one of our own, but also because of his lack of a tank and unstable chin. Would be amazing if he won.

• Upvote 2