You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

6 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Wow. If these things really "even themselves out over the season", we're sorted.

1 hour ago, Mathewbet1 said:

If we are top scorers in the league and creating loads of chances then seems logical we are going to get more goals chalked off. By the same logic Everton must be unbelievable shite 

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

Fernandez is capable of great moments in a game but it’s largely negated by how often he gives the ball away in a game.  His goal return is brilliant though there’s no getting away from it.  It doesn’t however mean he’s been in form.  In lots of those games he’s been absolutely dogshit.  I think while he’s there they will always struggle in a big games because you can’t give the ball away that much and get away with it against the best teams.

I’ve been reading a few times that Fernandez gives the ball away so much. Is this backed by facts?

I’m lazy so only checked the last three league games. It seems he gave it away 10 times against Leeds, 17 times against Sheffield United and 22 times against City.

Henderson, which I would say is a less creative player and one you would expect is taking less risk in his play, gave it away 17 times against Palace, 25 times against Spurs and 19 against Fulham.

These are possession lost figures of Sofa Score, may be other more relevant figures around, I dont know.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

If we are top scorers in the league and creating loads of chances then seems logical we are going to get more goals chalked off. By the same logic Everton must be unbelievable shite 

That's a fair assumption. However, I dont think this "VAR overturns" table is restricted to only goals being chalked off.

It would also include decisions about red cards, penalties which should have been given or penalties which were given but rescinded by VAR, VAR catching a keeper moving off his line forcing a retaken penalty, and handball offences.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

That's a fair assumption. However, I dont think this "VAR overturns" table is restricted to only goals being chalked off.

It would also include decisions about red cards, penalties which should have been given or penalties which were given but rescinded by VAR, VAR catching a keeper moving off his line forcing a retaken penalty, and handball offences.

Yeah the pen that was awarded Brighton will class as an overturn. And also it should work both ways, if we create loads of chances there should be times when the Lino's flag has called offside and var awards it onside. Except there isn't of course. 

16 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I find it utterly bizarre that anyone could think United might be in a title showdown, with us or anyone else.

They did this last season, too, when they had a brief purple patch and went deeper in the CL than anyone expected. It ended, and this will too.

It's probably 50-50 for them to finish in the top 4. There is basically zero chance that they end up in the conversation for the league title.

As I said, I think we are completely superior. They have multiple flaws. 

However, a combination of us having a bad injury crisis (hopefully now through the worst of it), bad VAR decisions costing us 4 points (some would say 6 because of the shove on Mo against Fulham), decisions that seem to go their way far more than not and finally the fact that they actually have some very good players makes them a peripheral threat, but a threat all the same. Us and United are two of the biggest clubs in the world. It would be a wet dream for the premier league and the media having the two in a title race and I think they get even more decisions go their way if they are within touching distance in the coming weeks.

Regarding them being a bigger threat than City, they have an inferior coach, an inferior defence and goalkeeper. De Bruyne is better than Fernandes, but you could make a strong case that their attack is better than Citys. Some of their comebacks away from home show a team spirit. I don't know if City have the same team spirit. Pep looks like he is feeling very sorry for himself. To be fair, City had a nice solid win at the weekend and if we do that at Southampton in a few weeks, I'll be delighted. Both are incredibly reliant on one player (Fernandes and De Bruyne). Spurs are a threat but they seem to be spinning out of control and Chelsea won't get anywhere near 80 points. I fancy both to take points of United though.

I can't see any of them finishing above us unless we lose 1-2 more big players for the rest of the season and that's even not taking into account that they themselves will have injuries.

Having said that after Leicester 2016 or even us in 2014 coming so close after previous seasons being very mediocre, it shows not to write off teams.

Hopefully Vardy does the business at the weekend and they drop points against Wolves and/or Villa before being dismantled by us and put back in their Goblin box.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

To be honest, I find it a little sad people are concerned at united. While they have that gimp in charge, they are like lampard's chelsea. Some good players but a tactically inept manager.

They have been fortunate with decisions while we have been unfortunate. That will change.

Im more concerned about city who have a quality manager and quality players who know how to win titles rather than a bunch with a manager who seem to depend on good fortune and a fair wind.

Im more concerned about spurs and mourinho because they have a manager who, while being an arsehole, has won titles.

I'm more concerned about your lack of apostrophes!

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

You may well be right but unless the figures are clear as to what beans are being counted it’s impossible to say whether we’re being unfairly shagged compared with other teams 

They are probably 4 points better off than they should be, we're at least 4 worse off than what we have earned. They have played Spurs, Arsenal, City and Chelsea at home and been away nobody. We have played those 4 too but we have Chelsea and City away ticked off. Ole will deserve a new contract if they're within 15 points of us in May.

6 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Confirms exactly what I thought. 

I've been off the opinion, besides the villa and city games, we pretty much should have won the rest, only for shit decisions. I wasn't far wrong