You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal Post-Wenger

Ne Moe Imya

Did a search and I can't find a general Arsenal topic anywhere, though we seem to have one for several other league teams.

So what do we think of the Unai Emery appointment, then? Does this mean they'll be back to their glory days and a threat to us over the next few years? Seems to me he's a good manager, but you can make a pretty good case he'll be the sixth-best manager of the top six clubs in the league (depending on what Chelsea do, of course).

For me you can disregard his time at PSG - a financially doped to fuck team in a shite league with virtually no real competition.

His record at Sevilla with the UEFA cup hat-trick shows he is clearly no mug though...it is an interesting appointment.

• Upvote 1

Decent choice and probably a very good choice given their current position. I had hoped they were going to go completely barmy and appoint Arteta but they've obviously seen sense. He'll be given more time by their supporters than Arteta would have. Still don't seem them doing much more than challenging for the top 4 at best. They need an overhaul in midfield and defensively and circa £50 million isn't going to do that.

It looks like Arsenal are still going to have a lot of problems behind the scenes as all the responses from within the selection process seemed to point to Arteta being appointed. So they all say Arteta and then appoint Emery.

They will continue to spiral with the board that they have in place.

I thought Arteta was an absolutely ridiculous suggestion, couldn't believe he was the big favourite! Umery is a decent hire, he's won 3 Europa League cups and he knows how to beat us so Arsenal might finally get a win over us at some point.

I doubt he'll get Arsenal to challenge for the title unless he's given PSG-style money which is not going to happen but he's got a good squad of players to work with, can see them getting much closer to the top 4 next season.

Think Arsenal have missed a trick here though, Benitez would have been an outstanding choice. 

Well, a better appointment than Arteta in all likelihood. He's quite like Rafa. Very good Cup manager, bit less so in the league.

That said, I'm not overly worried. More bothered by the possibility of Chelsea getting Sarri. Best managerial appointment anyone can realistically make right now.

So no Henry no Arteta no Vieira and no Buvac. This guy could actually be the right choice for Arsenal because I think all the others would have stunk the place out. Strange that Allegri ruled himself out though.

I wouldn't leave Juve for Arsenal either.

Vieira called it weeks ago when he was spoken to because he saw it as a token gesture before the club went for a known/experienced name. Arteta looks like he's been strung along a bit.

It also wouldn't surprise me if somebody close to the Arsenal negotiations leaked the Arteta rumours to push the odds of others like Emery way off into the ether, while telling close confidantes to lump on for Emery. By speaking to various candidates, they can hide that they had already made their choice. It sounds like conjecture but the way money flows in and out of the game, unscrupulous practice isn't too far away.

He fell out with everyone. 

Not exactly. He was never allowed to implement what he wanted and the players, who are very close to the President of the club, went to complain to him when Emery tried to change things.

He deserves blame for the ridiculous exit to Barca but he was given a raw deal otherwise. PSG is a circus where the players do what they want and it's basically impossible for anyone to truly impose themselves there.

You can basically erase his time in France from his CV as it's not an indication of anything.