You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Let's not forget that Lovren isn't injured. He's just not trained yet. Don't think he'd take much to get up to speed and play Sunday if needed.

That slack jawed mong at Spurs is in same boat and is slated to start at weekend....so would imagine Lovren could too if needed.

It is a joke really that clubs have to suffer and not have their employess available properly due to international football....season should have started a week later IMO.

Even after all the money Wolves have spent, they’ve just broken their transfer record to sign Adama Traore. The ultimate one trick pony. He can run really fast and that’s it. He’ll get to the byline but then have absolutely no clue what to do. He could win them a couple of corners.

Adama Traore may be a one-trick pony, but it's not just being fast. It's dribbles, of all types.

His dribbling numbers are literally off the charts. I think he had almost double the number of successful dribbles that Messi had last season. Unfortunately, he is one of the most wasteful players in the world after a dribble, meaning he'll absolutely skin two players and then hit the cross into the stands, but he's still pretty young and if some manager can ever get him to use even a quarter of his brain once he's past someone he could become great.

I really think Wolves are going to be interesting this season. I wonder what odds you could get on them finishing above Everton? Could be worth a sneaky tenner. Also, I'm going to watch them because I still hope we can get Neves next summer. A long-term midfield plan built around a foundation of Neves and Keita would be really something.

• Upvote 3

Agree with above. If you put Traore in the hands of a good attacking coach, he'd tear it up. End product and decision making are things a player can learn, but you can't teach the kind of freakish pace and dribbling ability he possesses. Wouldn't have been a bad shout for attacking depth here, albeit would've been a bit of a gamble.  

• Upvote 1

Agree with above. If you put Traore in the hands of a good attacking coach, he'd tear it up. End product and decision making are things a player can learn, but you can't teach the kind of freakish pace and dribbling ability he possesses. Wouldn't have been a bad shout for attacking depth here, albeit would've been a bit of a gamble.

‘A bit of a gamble’ is putting it mildly for an attacker who’s scored a total of 5 goals in his senior career.

‘A bit of a gamble’ is putting it mildly for an attacker who’s scored a total of 5 goals in his senior career.

Sure, when you put it that way, but past production playing in a bunch of Championship sides isn't something I'd really care about when looking at him. It's about what he could be at Liverpool and what skills he offers. And the skills he offers, being dribbling and pace, are world class. If he can learn the rest, which I don't think is far fetched under the right coaches, then you've really got something. That's why I think it would've been a good gamble. 

One trick pony is a statement that often follows Adama Traore but unless you have a left back that can run 100m in 10 seconds flat it's a hell of a trick.

He doesn't need to be quick to stand and watch as Adama Traore runs really fast and does fuck all else. Even Bert Moron can do that, although he'd probably divert the shit cross in to an own goal or something.

I sort of agree with your opinion, but would point out that we now have Boris Becker in goal, and so I wonder if our defence without Van Dijk may be able to survive a title bid, just, perhaps.

I would like us to revisit the transfer reservoir, see if we can get a young buck from somewhere who can do something akin to what Virgil does, but I fear it may be futile. That Akanji looks a terrific prospect, but we missed the boat for £16m, other than that we're looking at lads like Sarr, or Upamacano, or Skriniar, and these are £40-£60m defenders.

Yes we might lose Van Dijk, but City could lose De Bruyne, etc.

Our central defence without Van Dijk would be a disaster, especially with out style of play.

Kovacic - Jorginho - Kante is a fantastic midfield. Especially with Sarri as coach, it will be very difficult to play against and get the ball. Only thing is that there are few goals and assists to expect from that trio. Can Chelsea's front three handle all the load? That will be the question.