You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Can anyone explain how Pulisic is worth 80m-100m based on his performances? Barring in mind that Sanches, Deulofeu, Halilović, Shaw, Bakkali and Gabigol were projected to be superstars at a similar age and most of them have been barely spoken about since.

Signing a 19 year old for £25m, fair enough. Spending nearly £100m on one is pure insanity.

Gabigol sounds like the name an unlicensed computer game like PES would use in its legends mode for Batistuta. For this reason I think we should sign him.

• Upvote 3

Can anyone explain how Pulisic is worth 80m-100m based on his performances? Barring in mind that Sanches, Deulofeu, Halilović, Shaw, Bakkali and Gabigol were projected to be superstars at a similar age and most of them have been barely spoken about since.

Signing a 19 year old for £25m, fair enough. Spending nearly £100m on one is pure insanity.

Top rated 19 year olds don’t cost £25m, nobody’s stupid anymore.

Wildly different definitions around ‘top rated’ or ‘world class’ though, which is where you can go horribly wrong.

Trent is approaching top bracket now, he’s been integral to a side now in the CL final. But loads would say someone like Fosu-Mensah is equally talented, but it’s based on glimpses in shit games.

Ryan Sessegnon looks great, but it’s the Championship. You take your chance and you either end up with a Dele Alli success story, or you end up with a Will Hughes or a Jonjo Shelvey.

Or you take the same risk abroad, and someone like Leon Bailey or Justin Kluivert could cost £50m and be as effective as Markovic.

De Ligt at Ajax is in the ascendency, but could end up like Illori.

Remember the hype over Dolberg, 16 league goals last season. Whereas now he’s only got 5 goals and being overshadowed by Neres, Kluivert and De Jong.

Will Hughes and Shelvey are both comfortably Premiership level players, no-one ever paid "world-class" money for them.

Markovic the better comparison.  I'd take a young player who's battled through a 46 game, consistently competitive, season in the Championship these days than pay premium money from the Portuguese, or even French league.

Germany is similar, the teams fight for it.  Pulisic is playing in that environment.  I'd prefer Sessegnon or Brandt personally just on terms of value for money (with them having comparable talent for me).  But regardless he's clearly no Markovic.

• Upvote 1

Markovic the better comparison.  I'd take a young player who's battled through a 46 game, consistently competitive, season in the Championship these days than pay premium money from the Portuguese, or even French league.

You'd rather sign a promising Championship player than Ligue Un player? That's insane.

The amount of quality young players that play in France is astounding. Comparatively, you barely have a handful of under 21's who currently play in the Championship who will amount to anything at the top level in European football. 

Depends on the player, depends on the side.  Obviously there are better players in the French league, the point I was making is that the football still isn't as consistently competitive across the league.

Netherlands probably a better comparison, but I've been out enjoying some cider in the sun so cut me some slack.

I think he is worth about £60M based on performances - playing in Bundesliga at a young age, holding his own, one of the best players for an upper Bundesliga team already. Good experience already for his young age.

Factor in the age, reasonable growth potential, money in the Prem and the fact that he’s America’s big hope and likely first proper star in the global game, and the price goes up and up.

I’m just guessing but I could see anything up to £100M for him. Crazy though, I know.

Sessegnon might be better value, but even then, he has only played in the championship at a much lower level than the Bundesliga and CL, and I would still expect to pay £50M for Sessegnon.

The money has truly gone bonkers.

I guess we're going to waste a few players sending them to rangers now but we'll learn nothing from them playing in a league that makes so much shite look good. Look at the state of that Celtic team that dominates it.

Hope not, the likes of Solanke would be better served playing in the championship than that joke of a league.

Liverpool are set for a shock swoop for one of their cult heroes - Spanish keeper Pepe Reina.

The popular 35-year-old is set to leave Napoli at the end of the season - even if they claim the title.

He was set to join AC Milan, but now Spanish sources Marca believe the move could be hijacked - by Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool.

And a return to Anfield would be a big draw for Reina, who really enjoyed his first spell at the club.

Liverpool will look to ditch second choice keeper Simon Mignolet in the summer, and there are still doubts over current incumbent Loris Karius.

Reina's experience of the Premier League is a major plus for Klopp.

Liverpool are set for a shock swoop for one of their cult heroes - Spanish keeper Pepe Reina.

The popular 35-year-old is set to leave Napoli at the end of the season - even if they claim the title.

He was set to join AC Milan, but now Spanish sources Marca believe the move could be hijacked - by Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool.

And a return to Anfield would be a big draw for Reina, who really enjoyed his first spell at the club.

Liverpool will look to ditch second choice keeper Simon Mignolet in the summer, and there are still doubts over current incumbent Loris Karius.

Reina's experience of the Premier League is a major plus for Klopp.

Said it weeks ago.

Makes perfect sense.

I guess we're going to waste a few players sending them to rangers now but we'll learn nothing from them playing in a league that makes so much shite look good. Look at the state of that Celtic team that dominates it.

Look at the state of the manager.

Well at least you know Reina will be good playing the ball out like Klopp wants his keepers to do, and not look like he's about to fall over his own feet. Not sure about his shot stopping abilities though. He was about as prone to stupid mistakes as our current keepers towards the end of his time at the club.