You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rats

Poisons work brilliantly (the blocks are best) but the fuckers take revenge by dying somewhere in a wall cavity next to your bed or similar unreachable spot and producing an absolutely foul smell for days.

If you use traps, peanut butter works better than cheese because it doesn't fall off.

I spent most of yesterday turning the living room upside down to find any possible entry points or runs and loading them with poison, stuffing them with wire wool and sealing them with Polyfilla.

When I finished I had the feeling that somebody was watching me. I turned around and guess what I saw. I can't deny that my first reaction was to shout at him "just fuck off, will you!"

He ran away and disappeared somewhere (under some furniture I think). He made a few fleeting appearances again through the night and it became clear that he had been trying to get back through the holes which were now filled. So we had a standoff; he was trapped in the living room but I couldn't find exactly where and catch him.

A few weeks ago the council replaced our recycling bin with a recycling bag. It is about 3 feet tall, semi-rigid with a flap for a lid. After I had brushed my teeth I went back to the living room just to check and I saw that the rat had fallen into the recycling bag. I carried the bag outside and emptied him out into the back alley. So far he hasn't been able to return and I haven't seen or heard any more noises in the walls. Here's hoping...

I spent most of yesterday turning the living room upside down to find any possible entry points or runs and loading them with poison, stuffing them with wire wool and sealing them with Polyfilla.

When I finished I had the feeling that somebody was watching me. I turned around and guess what I saw. I can't deny that my first reaction was to shout at him "just fuck off, will you!"

He ran away and disappeared somewhere (under some furniture I think). He made a few fleeting appearances again through the night and it became clear that he had been trying to get back through the holes which were now filled. So we had a standoff; he was trapped in the living room but I couldn't find exactly where and catch him.

A few weeks ago the council replaced our recycling bin with a recycling bag. It is about 3 feet tall, semi-rigid with a flap for a lid. After I had brushed my teeth I went back to the living room just to check and I saw that the rat had fallen into the recycling bag. I carried the bag outside and emptied him out into the back alley. So far he hasn't been able to return and I haven't seen or heard any more noises in the walls. Here's hoping...

He's just gone to round up his mates.

• Upvote 2

Sat on the bog last spring, glance down to see a whiskery little nose poking out from under the tub.

I was up and off the toilet so fast I burst out laughing. Amazing what a jolt of adrenaline will do. Thankfully I wasn't in mid-movement or there'd've been a brown streak across my bathroom floor.

Bought one of the old fashioned wooden traps, and after some fine-tuning (taping it to the floor so it didn't throw the rat when it sprung) I managed to reclaim my throne.

They get into our loft but thankfully not the house.

We're in a semi detached and our garden is in reasonable nick, but next door is a wreck. Rat heaven. And he has trees and bushes growing up onto his roof, providing easy access.

Without bricking up the roof space, which still probably wouldn't stop them, there's not really much we can do.

• 4 years later...

Sitting there playing my Xbox last night and heard something scratching in the wall, well I say scratching but it was more like a knocking sound mixed in with scratching. Lasted about 20 minutes, then I heard it an hour later in another wall then nothing for the rest of the night. 

Haven’t heard the noises before or noticed anything like droppings etc… So is it likely to be rats or mice or am I just going mad?

And before anyone asks I’m not currently keeping anyone in my Fritzl-like dungeon so I know it’s not that.