You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I can't wait to find out who our second choices are after Keita and VVD.

Knowing us it will be a striker and a right back.

Just like dahoud and brandt there will be no second choices.

There will also be no further interest in either player past this window.

I think adding the above would be enough to consolidate top four, and with a fair wind look for a title challenge. We should also go through to the knockout stages in the CL it's in the lap of the gods somewhat. And we should not accept a tame cup exit in the early rounds, but understandably the FA and League Cups would be 3/4 priority.

I think we can add Robertson any time we want to. Amavi was linked as well, possibly on loan because of his knee.

It's hard to say what happens with VVD and Keita. I'm still hoping Sakho plus a tidy sum will see a deal struck with Southampton. Keita is hard to say because Red Bull have their own project and reasons for not dealing, and they are doing well and in the CL and trying to establish themselves as a force.

We still might sign Keita, but if not, I'd like to see either Goretzka, or a deal struck for Keita for next season, and then look for a loan move for another midfielder, or possibly AOC to add depth and versatility, though he wouldn't compete with Keita in the middle in my eyes.

If we break down that 25 man squad and add Can and Mane how many proper first team ready players do you count there as it stands (forget VVD, Keita or anyone else)

About 16 maybe?

2 of them are keepers and there are doubts about them

Defensively we are one injury away from either Gomez or Klavan starting at centre half.

There are about 8 names on that list that nobody would seriously consider as starters for us in either a league game on the sat or a cl game on the weds and then another league game a few days after.

There is at least one who has no future with us.

There are a number of players on that list that have proven to be very difficult to get onto the pitch regularly enough in recent seasons.

It looks well short to me and needs the 3 you mention plus 3 to upgrade the fringe players named like Stewart and the kids like Kent and Woodburn who are two years or more away from it.

I'd be cool if we had already banked 3 solid squad upgrades and were just chasing the two biggies....as it stands we have 1 in, a kid and we have jibbed a man who was needed in over 20 games to cover two positions (neither of which we have added to so far) last season when we had less games!

No argument from me the squad is short.

I weighed in on the premise, "even if we add VVD, Keita and Robertson" to what we already have... If we do that, I'll be happy for now.

Obviously we're all waiting to see what happens.

We are indeed waiting...1 injury/needing a change at centre half away from Gomez or Klavan starting/playing though FFS. How the frigging hell can we have put ourselves in this position?

I was thinking a very good summer would be five signings, and let's say three to go straight into the best eleven, two to be squad men, and the overall squad to be strengthened with former first team players now adding depth.

VVD, Keita, Salah are the three to go straight into the first team.

Robertson and Solanke to add some depth, along with the three players displaced by the above, say Lovren, Can and Lallana/Wijnaldum.

Still a few twists and turns left in this window, and our feeling about the whole thing will largely depend on VVD and Keita, or nearest equivalents. If we sign no one, or the gap in quality is too great from the top two targets, we'll be disappointed.

Waiting to see what happens.

From the echo...

Sakho Blow?

Blow for Liverpool’s hopes of selling him for big money to Crystal Palace, that is.

The Eagles have completed the signing of Jairo Riedewald from Ajax for £8m, with the player jetting off to Hong Kong to take part in the Premier League Asia Trophy.

Might be a bit early for him to feature against the Reds on Wednesday.

But does this mean Palace are no longer interested in Sakho?

We’ll see.

I'm hoping Sakho goes to Southampton in part ex for VVD. They are better than Palace and the deal should suit both clubs. They get a ready made replacement, and say £40M. We get the player we want and also an unwanted player off the books.

The size of the deal will hopefully mean there will be a little something for the player as an incentive to make the move, should he not be overly thrilled to do so.

PSG are allegedly about to meet Neymars buyout clause of 222 million according to Di Marzio. Then up to player to decide etc.

Could be good news for John Henry's yacht collection if Barca come in and bid for Coutinho.

I'm sure just like Mbappe we'd like to be kept informed of this move.

Mirror Football @MirrorFootball

Man City have bid rejected for ex-Liverpool stopper Pepe Reina as Claudio Bravo edges closer to exit

Manchester City have had a £2.6million bid rejected for goalkeeper Pepe Reina - with Claudio Bravo on his way out.

Napoli dismissed City's offer for former Liverpool keeper Reina, but are said to be willing to sell for a figure of around £4.5m

I'm as sceptical of FSG as anyone, but I have to say that this summer's transfer machinations all across Europe are a bit weird. For example, what's with Chelsea apparently leaking that they have a "strong and serious interest" in signing Aguero? We all know that these transfer stories get out there before they happen but direct leaks from clubs about some vague interest in a player without even making a bid seems a peculiarity new to this particular window. There seems to be an extra reluctance for clubs to show their hands at the moment.

Agreed.

Here is the 25 man squad we are taking to Asia this week for the games out there.

Only Mane is missing from what you would call our first eleven.

It is horribly short....

Karius, Ward, Mignolet

Clyne, Lovren, Milner, Gomez, Klavan, Matip, Moreno, Flanagan, Alexander-Arnold

Wijnaldum, Henderson, Grujic, Lallana, Stewart, Coutinho

Firmino, Salah, Sturridge, Origi, Solanke, Kent, Woodburn.

When you see that written down in front of you like that it makes the clubs lack of activity all the more baffling.

That defence...

Actually forgot just how bad it is.

Those Sky, Mirror and Echo reports on how difficult transfers are in England and yada yada yada.

Summer is not about the players we sign.

Excuses are out very early this year, when is Goebbels jr. Coming out with a new sponsorship deal and we can compete with anyone statement from his Boston mates ?

If Aguero is available i'd love to see us go all out to get him.

Sadly never going to happen though is it?

We take forever to get some no-mark from Hull signed up , what's the chances we can get one of the best strikers in the world on board ? Just don't do it to yourself,