You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I'm at that point now. We've tried doing it the "right and proper" way and it isn't working.

I do also severely question the ambition of the owners. They are happy to plod along dabbling in Champions League football whilst maximising TV money and transfer sales. It obviously isn't going to end like the last owners with protests and marches and stopping them getting in their own stadium but all it will take is a poor start to the season and the atmosphere will become poisonous very quickly. I don't know anyone who thinks these are good owners.

It is time for them to pay up and spend some serious money.

If this window closes with the squad well short and next season starts badly, the mood towards Klopp will start to turn for many too.

Just the way it works.

This "we're doing our best but sometimes the other club doesn't want to sell" line is embarrassing and boring in equal measure.

It's like saying "hey we tried to be the premier league champions but sometimes the teams we play against just don't let us win".

Competing. Does the club know what the fuck the word means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apples and Pears there mate!

You can't make a club sell - if money isn't an issue then, you are going to struggle. We could buy a Keita from Salzburg - but I imagine the fume here if that happened?

We haven't offered enough money yet. Thats pretty much it.

We officially would class Coutinho as "not for sale" but if Barcelona unsettled him and then offered crazy money, he'd go.

You'd think we would have set an absolute maximum we would spend on him- say £75m. Whats frustrating is that it seems as though we are offering somewhere around £50m hoping they will meet in the middle. Its fairly clear they wont so make the big offer and if rebuffed, move on. For that money there must be some very good other options out there  

• Upvote 2

If this window closes with the squad well short and next season starts badly, the mood towards Klopp will start to turn for many too.

Just the way it works.

Depends how far into the season we're talking, but potentially yes he'd deserve some flak. "VVD and Keita aren't available so we'll buy no one instead" isn't justifiable. We need quality, yes, but we also need number and they aren't the only two quality players in their positions.

Purely hypothetical though.

We haven't offered enough money yet. Thats pretty much it.

We officially would class Coutinho as "not for sale" but if Barcelona unsettled him and then offered crazy money, he'd go.

You'd think we would have set an absolute maximum we would spend on him- say £75m. Whats frustrating is that it seems as though we are offering somewhere around £50m hoping they will meet in the middle. Its fairly clear they wont so make the big offer and if rebuffed, move on. For that money there must be some very good other options out there

Dave for President. Or even better; our DoF.

FSG need to shit or get off the pot.

We couldn't fucking cope with the demands of the competitions last season. It is embarrassing how thin the squad is.

It is - i just hope that Klopp knows what he is doing and the strengthening needed is done.

If it isn't then we are going to be in trouble next season or are going to need to be very very lucky with injuries.

It is - i just hope that Klopp knows what he is doing and the strengthening needed is done.

If it isn't then we are going to be in trouble next season or are going to need to be very very lucky with injuries.

Even if we manage to miraculously buy Keita, VVD, and Robertson... we are likely still a bit short.  Right back depth is a concern.  I'm not convinced by either of our keepers.  

Im happy with Clyne and a rapidly emerging TAA. Clyne is solid but gets a bit more criticism from our fans as he isn't that good in the final third. But we shouldn't overlook his plus points. He's a decent right back. Mind you, I think TAA could take his spot over the next year or so.

Even if we manage to miraculously buy Keita, VVD, and Robertson... we are likely still a bit short. Right back depth is a concern. I'm not convinced by either of our keepers.

Agreed.

Here is the 25 man squad we are taking to Asia this week for the games out there.

Only Mane is missing from what you would call our first eleven.

It is horribly short....

Karius, Ward, Mignolet

Clyne, Lovren, Milner, Gomez, Klavan, Matip, Moreno, Flanagan, Alexander-Arnold

Wijnaldum, Henderson, Grujic, Lallana, Stewart, Coutinho

Firmino, Salah, Sturridge, Origi, Solanke, Kent, Woodburn.

When you see that written down in front of you like that it makes the clubs lack of activity all the more baffling.

• Upvote 2

With Keita, VVD and Robertson added to the squad above, and not forgetting Can to come back too, it looks so much better than last season. I'd be very happy with that for now, if we could do it.

Apoligies i forgot about Can.

It is ok saying adding those 3 and yes it would improve it but is it enough and how likely is it we even add the 3?

If we don't sign Vvd then Klopp has to give Sakho another chance, particularly now Lucas has gone. We also won,t have the African cup of nations to disrupt us this year.

We simply won't have the legs for all four comps.  Add in injuries and we're finishing 6th and winning fuck all.  

That's not based on quality or anything... Just legs.  We're going to have injuries.  A key injury and we're up against it immediately.

The bare minimum is getting those 3 targets, and im not sure that's enough bodies.

Apoligies i forgot about Can.

It is ok saying adding those 3 and yes it would improve it but is it enough and how likely is it we even add the 3?

I think adding the above would be enough to consolidate top four, and with a fair wind look for a title challenge. We should also go through to the knockout stages in the CL and then it's in the lap of the gods somewhat. And we should not accept a tame cup exit in the early rounds, but understandably the FA and League Cups would be 3/4 priority.

I think we can add Robertson any time we want to. Amavi was linked as well, possibly on loan because of his knee.

It's hard to say what happens with VVD and Keita. I'm still hoping Sakho plus a tidy sum will see a deal struck with Southampton. Keita is hard to say because Red Bull have their own project and reasons for not dealing, and they are doing well and in the CL and trying to establish themselves as a force.

We still might sign Keita, but if not, I'd like to see either Goretzka, or a deal struck for Keita for next season, and then look for a loan move for another midfielder, or possibly AOC to add depth and versatility, though he wouldn't compete with Keita in the middle in my eyes.