You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Better add another 20 to 30ml onto that £60 for Mbappe. The rumoured City and Real vids are 100ml plus

There's probably no chance of Mbappe, but in an outside sort of way, we can offer a team on the up, playing under a manager who develops young players well. We can offer CL football and a good wage. 

Obviously there are a few teams ahead of us, but at Mbappe's level he has to manage his career, and if he goes to a Real Madrid type of team right now he will see plenty of time on the bench. He needs to play, and we can offer that. 

As for values, given the crazy world of football finances I'm valuing Origi at 30M. He's 22, can score goals and is fast and strong. He hasn't put it all together nearly enough for us yet, but he's far from a no-hoper, and in a league where Watford want more for a much older Troy Deeney, arguably 30M for Origi is selling Big Divvy a bit short. 

If Mbappe was to come here it'd be as a stepping stone to Madrid or Barcelona. A stepping stone he doesn't need to take. If the argument was that he would develop here better before moving on then surely the best option is to stay where he is. Ergo, we'll sign someone else.

On this Solanke lad...I realise players develop at different speeds but he is 20 in September - OK it is young but for my money if you are going to be a top class player at top sides then you probably should be looking to breakthrough by or at 20 and show/prove you are up to it.

Shrek was smashing in PL and CL goals at 18/19 for the mancs...Owen was doing the business for us by 19 and at World Cups. I am sure greaseball Ronaldo was a fixture in the mancs team at 19/20.

OK these may be the exceptions to the rule but we have seen so many players that we keep calling young fail to really make the breakthrough at 19/20 and still at 22/23 we have waited hoping they are going to kick on - how often have they? For my money if you are the real deal you'll show it even at 19/20 - so Solanke is 20 in September, it is realistic to expect if he is going to be something that during the 12 months as he heads to 21 we see it - if not then he is probably going to be one who has a career at a level below the level we aspire to be at/need to be at.

To be fair to Solanke you've put him alongside 3 of the best teenagers the world has ever seen, Rooney was a freak of nature at that age, he was 16 year old in a fully grown mans body. Owen was also a freak of nature in that he was fast as fuck and was as mature as a 100 cap international and Ronaldo was well Ronaldo, he was fast and extremely skilful.

I'll admit I've hardly seen Solanke play so he could be amazing or he could turn out shit but unless strikers are rapid they tend to get better with age and experience like a Harry Kane, they learn where to be at the right time.

To be fair to Solanke you've put him alongside 3 of the best teenagers the world has ever seen, Rooney was a freak of nature at that age, he was 16 year old in a fully grown mans body. Owen was also a freak of nature in that he was fast as fuck and was as mature as a 100 cap international and Ronaldo was well Ronaldo, he was fast and extremely skilful.

I'll admit I've hardly seen Solanke play so he could be amazing or he could turn out shit but unless strikers are rapid they tend to get better with age and experience like a Harry Kane, they learn where to be at the right time.

Oh yeah agree....i am not having a pop at the lad just saying that in the 12 months from start of next season to beginning of one after he will turn from being 20 to 21 and if he is absolutely top class (which we hope he will be) i'd expect him to show it in that period/hope he does...been a long time since we have had it happen with a kid.

How old was Harry Kane when he had his breakout season?

21 at start of it not quite 22 at end of it.

He played 10 pl games for spurs and knocked in 3 goals the year before as well though.

Also knocked in 7 in 22 in the championship aged 18-19

21 at start of it not quite 22 at end of it.

He played 10 pl games for spurs and knocked in 3 goals the year before as well though.

Also knocked in 7 in 22 in the championship aged 18-19

Never looked like he had this in him though.

If Mbappe was to come here it'd be as a stepping stone to Madrid or Barcelona. A stepping stone he doesn't need to take. If the argument was that he would develop here better before moving on then surely the best option is to stay where he is. Ergo, we'll sign someone else.

I don't think we are signing Mbappe! Just a throwaway comment that if Monaco were interested in Origi, I'd offer them a bundle of cash plus Origi to try to sign Mbappe.

On this Solanke lad...I realise players develop at different speeds but he is 20 in September - OK it is young but for my money if you are going to be a top class player at top sides then you probably should be looking to breakthrough by or at 20 and show/prove you are up to it.

Shrek was smashing in PL and CL goals at 18/19 for the mancs...Owen was doing the business for us by 19 and at World Cups. I am sure greaseball Ronaldo was a fixture in the mancs team at 19/20.

OK these may be the exceptions to the rule but we have seen so many players that we keep calling young fail to really make the breakthrough at 19/20 and still at 22/23 we have waited hoping they are going to kick on - how often have they? For my money if you are the real deal you'll show it even at 19/20 - so Solanke is 20 in September, it is realistic to expect if he is going to be something that during the 12 months as he heads to 21 we see it - if not then he is probably going to be one who has a career at a level below the level we aspire to be at/need to be at.

Valid points but...

It’s been some time since Rooney and that real Madrid dolly. I think it’s even harder to come through as a youngster in the big clubs now.

The richest clubs buy a bunch of new expensive players for millions each year. They have top class players already in their squads. How’s a youngster expected to be given enough chances when there are maybe 6-7 established players in front of him in the pecking order? If you’re really special you might make it even against poor odds, then again maybe not.

Take our own Coutinho. Shipped out to backyard club Espanol from Inter.  Not good enough for Inter, over 20, not good enough for us,  was the conclusion from many on this very site when we bought him.

Solanke: I haven’t got a clue myself. I can only hope that maybe, maybe he’s a gem waiting to be polished. If not he’ll probably go off somewhere else later on making Henry a little bit richer. Sound business I’d say.

Let’s give the boy a chance before chopping his head off.

• Upvote 1

Never looked like he had this in him though.

true....never an exact science is it.

all i am saying is if this lad is gonna be top class then for me he'll most likely break through here over the next 12 months...if he does not it is less likely (not impossible of course) he will6 be top class.

While the Oil and Gas clubs handle talent and potential with a revolving door policy there will be plenty of good players dropping of the end of the line. Look at De Bruyne and Salah getting bombed out of Chelsea without a fair crack.  As good a place as any to look for good value, their history at that club is essentially meaningless as, more often than not, they never stood a chance in the long-term.

Goes for us as well to a certain extent.

Let someone else spend 80m on Mbappe- he cant keep up that form (I will repost this in the amnesty thread when he wins the ballon'dor)

As for Salah- will take an awful lot to win me over after blowing us out once (potentially costing us the title)

A decent assist in a pre-season away to Grimsby would probably be enough to get me on board!

• Upvote 1

BEIN Sports reckon Salah is signing for us.

Twitterati is going into Salah meltdown.

Pinch of salt obviously...

One of the comments on the tweet translates to: "It is the right choice for Salah because the club policies treat Allah in an excellent way". 

We got the Muslim demographic on lock, baby. 

• Upvote 1